Anyone have any experience with SmartMouth "zinc-activated" mouthwash?

I used it on-off-then-on-again since the start of the year.

I’ve also noticed this year that I’ve had periods where my libido seemed to be worse than ever. Like, just full-blown sexual numbness. Straight up feel castrated at times.

With our condition, this could be due to dozens of different factors, but I’m wondering if (the zinc in) smartmouth is the culprit. On the other hand, smartmouth has two solutions and zinc is only in the one of them and is the sixth ingredient (as zinc chloride), so i’m thinking that the zinc content in smartmouth is just overstated by their marketing.

Has anyone else used this mouthwash just fine? Or maybe lots of people here have found that even small amounts of extra zinc was enough to upset their sexual health?

What you’ll find is that zinc is a cause of problems for some people and that people have different sensitivities to various substances.

The classic way to deal with food intolerance is to eat an entirely safe diet that causes no problems then gradually reintroduce things that might be a problem.

The difficulty for us is that people can eat “safe” things and all of a sudden have a problem, which can trigger various things, including deep regret.

So, what to do?

For me, I’d change mouthwash - I don’t know how likely a culprit it is, or how much of a dose you’re likely to get by using it, but it feels like an unnecessary risk to me. I’m not sure if it was likely to cause your problem in isolation but perhaps it combined with something else having a negative effect, individuality both may have been undetected but together caused a problem.

In short, I think it’s unlikely that someone is going to post and say they use the same mouthwash and had the same experience. But, other people have had problems like you had after exposure to zinc. So, perhaps the conclusion to make is that zinc isn’t great for you personally and getting a daily dose of it, even a low one, could contribute negatively to your general wellbeing. Alternatively, it’s fine and something else entirely caused you a problem.

Sorry to not have a more helpful, actionable answer.

You’re good, man. I’ll take what I can get.

Maybe I should post a new question: Does anyone know a mouthwash that doesn’t have alcohol or ingredients that are ‘dangerous’ for us?

I’d suggest skipping the mouthwash, and start flossing instead, perhaps.

1 Like

I know this is maybe getting too off-topic for the forum, but I already floss (and scrub my tongue)