Anyone else had their relationship fall apart because of your condition?

How’d you deal with the situation?

I’m having constant intrusive thoughts and dreams about it.

4 Likes

Although my relationship has not fallen apart or ended it has put an immense strain on it and I have intrusive thoughts nonetheless. Since I cannot properly enjoy the time I am with my girlfriend it leads me to feel incredibly depressed and sad about what I feel I am missing out on. Even though being with her gives me comfort I still feel I cannot connect with her like before and do not really feel love now which is incredibly painful.

I deal with the situation by having hope for the future. I read today about 4 young Korean girls who were killed in a road accident in Australia yesterday and how my life could just as easily have ended long ago. But at least I am still here and drawing breath and that this condition can ultimately be fixed. I am sure we will have a chance to start over again, even though right now life is extremely grim.

5 Likes

Many times. It was usually because of the coldness that comes from lacking love/lust, much more so than the lack of sex. Also, ended up staying in bad relationships with dishonest and unethical women, or with decent women in bad situations, because I didn’t play the field until finding partners I actually thought were fitting like normal healthy guys do.

Had a marriage fall apart a long time ago and she cited my obsession with something that didn’t exist in her mind as one of the primary reasons. So terribly sorry to her for that I finally recognized what lead to my health declining at an early age and was desperate to find a way out. I think if your SO doesn’t believe you, or only half-heartedly, there’s no point in continuing the farce.

@Gavia, I’ve watched a close friend with 2 daughters totally fall apart over a breakup to the point where he is living with his mother and being fucked-up 24/7 has been the focus of his life for almost 2 years. He doesn’t/didn’t have a post-drug condition, but had intrusive thoughts over this one girl, I suppose because it ended during the “honeymoon” phase of the relationship, during lockdown and he was a very social person, and it was a divorce rebound. His family and I are almost certain she was lying and cheating on him during that time…

I guess the only useful thing I have to say is find a better way to cope with the intrusive thoughts than drinking/drugs. Working more, work out if you can, take classes, hang out with friends or family, etc.

2 Likes

All my relationships fell apart.

Budding romance with a new woman I saw as a potential soulmate who gave me every chance in the world to get past my pre-PFS insecurities until PFS robbed my soul.

Fallback relationship with a long term off/on woman whose only demand was the simplest of social interaction that I could no longer provide.

Exes I kept in touch with out of love and shared memories, neither of which resonate now.

Friends based on shared interests that I no longer share.

Family with whom I was trying to reconnect by bringing something to the table beyond despair.

Coworkers who trusted me with confidences and counted on my humor and judgment.

Myself who I no longer recognize and can barely remember.

I deal with it like I do all of this…adderall and sleep meds. I guess I should be glad it doesn’t haunt my dreams too.

4 Likes