Anybody test for Zonulin? Leaky gut?

Just curious if anyone has ever tested for Zonulin. This is supposed to prove/disprove leaky gut.

I just got the results for my zonulin.

The results if 544 (Below 60 is Optimal, Above 104 is increased)

1 Like

@doomed80

Do you mind posting your actual result on this ? Like a screen shot of the lab result with your name blocked

1 Like

Hi @giuseppek

I noticed you haven’t completed the patient survey yet. When you have some time, could you please complete it using the instructions in this video I created: https://www.loom.com/share/c298a179a0e64cba8ef9e69ae0122ac4

I cannot understate how important this resource has been when liasing with researchers and clinicians, and your participation would be much appreciated.

Best,
Mitch

I tested it once. It didn’t show anything unusual.

And yes, take the survey!

Serum zonulin test may help identify increased intestinal permeability, which has been associated with some autoimmunity and excess inflammation. Your stool analysis revealed several issues including pathogenic/opportunistic bacteria.

You need to work extensively on fixing your gut.

1 Like

yes @doomed80 it seems like fixing the gut is SOO complex.
I have high levels of LPS bacteria, and Hydrogen Sulfide reducing bacteria in my stool as well.
I found this video about High Fat Diets and leaky gut interesting.

I have orange juice with high fat high high carb meals these days to reduce potential LPS.

@giuseppek

1 Like

@doomed80

I visited the dermatologist recently who stated that my rash on my thighs is not fungal (my doctor in Canada told me it was Fungal 15 years ago) The dermatologist diagnosed it as PSORIASIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsJwB3bTzp8

This points back toward microbiome dysfunction. I had eczema; arthritis; urticaria/hives for the first time in my life back in 2019. Not to mention numerous food sensitivities.

1 Like

I had the psoriasis for a long time. Never had any other issues for 15 years. So if Dr. Berg says Leaky Gut is the reason for Psoriasis, then I guess Leaky gut is not the main issue. The issue is the bad bacteria (endotoxin) being released into the bloodstream causing chronic low grade systemic inflammation.

Lipopolysaccharide (LPS/endotoxins) from pathogenic gram-negative is extremely troubling. They leak into circulation and cause immune reactions. They also reduce testosterone level.

1 Like

thanks for post @doomed80

1 Like

Yes i have been tested for intestinal permeability and sibo and i have both. Very hard to fix which is no doubt part of the issue.

1 Like

So I’m interested in learning more about leaky gut syndrome

I have been taking 1500 MG’s daily of
L-Glutamine and I’m clearly feeling way less of an “inflammatory uncomfortable feeling” in my gut through out the course of the day. Now that I’m doing carb backloading I’m eating my rice at a very specific and consistent time of the day. So I’m clearly able to see how all day I don’t feel the “inflammatory uncomfortable feeling” in my gut and then after I eat the rice toward the end of the day (carb backloading) I feel it

So obviously I have always known the gut is involved in this some how because of all the digestive symptoms many of us get. For me it’s always been general discomfort and constipation. So for now I have determined that l-tryptophan and 5-HTP substantially helps my constipation and L-Glutamine substantially helps the “ inflammatory uncomfortable feeling” in my gut.

I’m thinking about narrowing in on leaky gut looking into what else I can take for it if I have it.

So what’s the deal with Zonulin? Does it inhibit or increase intestinal permeability ? I’m assuming that the goal is to decrease intestinal permeability ? If we have leaky gut ?

“Zonulin (haptoglobin 2 precursor) is a protein that modulates the permeability of tight junctions between cells of the wall of the digestive tract”

“Intestinal permeability is a term describing the control of material passing from inside the gastrointestinal tract”

“One way in which intestinal permeability is modulated is via CXCR3 receptors in cells in the intestinal epithelium which respond to zonulin”

“Zonula occludens toxin is being studied as an adjuvant to improve absorption of drugs and vaccines. In 2014 a zonulin [receptor antagonist] larazotide acetate (formerly known as AT-1001) completed a phase 2b clinical trial”