Any tips for insomnia?

Insomnia has been horrible this past week. I sleep about 4 hours a night. I go to bed around 12 AM, sleep til 2 AM, then I am up til 6 AM. I have tried melatonin, hydroxyzine, and CBD. I just want to get a full nights rest.

Yes this routine has really helped me:

-Drink a glass of tart cherry juice 1-2 hrs before bed as this increases melatonin and also I believe increases tryptophan bioavailability in the brain

-Take magnesium L-threonate and L-theanine 1-2 hrs before bed which help with GABA production and lower stress and anxiety

-Keep bedroom at 65-68 degrees (I have a thermometer in my room for accurate temperature readings)

-Try a sleep sound machine which is quite calming

1 Like

I can attest to some of the above although I wouldn’t say I disagree with any of it

Having good sleep hygiene is a problem for everyone

I used to use the magnesium, Benadryl and melatonin just to get me to sleep
Thank God my sleep problems have gone away

Now I take nothing and I have a hard time not falling asleep on the couch every night so there is hope

But panicking about the insomnia will only make it worse so don’t panic or worry

And the worst thing you can do is try to fall asleep when you can’t
Read a book, play a word game like in a book
Even walk around but staying in bed is terrible
Maybe use your tablet and watch interesting videos with the blue light off and low light
That always helps me

But magnesium def works

Insomnia is still killer. I’ve tried cherry juice, magnesium, melatonin, Benadryl, and I still can only get about 2-3 hours of sleep a night. I have a prescription for Trazodone, which knocks me out but it’s an antidepressant so it could be making me worse. I just want to get a good night’s sleep :frowning:

PFS insomnia sucks. All you can do is ride it out. It will slowly get better over the coming months and eventually back to normal. Unfortunately this is the only way. Hang in there.

Stay away from the Trazodone, it has caused suicides on this forum @Trazohell @zadig777 . It’s imperative that you ride out the insomnia naturally. If you are really desperate, you can use a benzo (they are generally considered safe for PFS), but they should be used sparingly.

3 Likes

You could see a doctor or psychiatrist. I developed wicked insomnia recently, even though I already took melatonin and had good sleep hygiene, and then I was prescribed trazodone and now mirtazapine and it has helped a lot. Though now I’m wondering if trazodone has caused my sexual sides to worsen.

1 Like

You’ll have to be happy with the 2-3 hours for now until you increase it little by little
It took me a long time

You shouldn’t be taking that trazadone shit dude

1 Like

If it helps I used to rotate between a slice of turkey, cherries, lettuce, oats they helped for a number of years. Trazadone is bad news 2 pills fucked me up and brought neuropathy to my symptom list.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your responses. Seems like the consensus is to stop the Trazodone. That’s a shame because it gives me a good nights sleep, but I obviously don’t want to make things worse

I’ve been using 10mg of melatonin for the past 4 years and sometimes combine it with a phenegan antihistamine tablet.

No idea how safe they are long term but I’m still using them, they work great initially but you do get resistant to them, at least I did.

As with anything, proceed with caution, this is just my experience. I’ve no idea how they’ll effect anyone else.

1 Like