Antipsychotics can cause similar effects to SSRIs and Finasteride

I have a friend who would theoretically suffer from psychosis. He was forced several times to antipsychotic therapies, the last time a year ago after a hospitalization, he was forced to an injection of Aripripazole (Abilify) since then he suffers from severe erectile dysfunction, he hasn’t been taking anything for a year and his problem persists.

Antipsychotics act on brain chemistry by blocking dopamine receptors, particularly the dopamine D2 receptor, which is essential for good sexual function. In addition to this, they greatly alter the hormonal profile, dramatically increasing the levels of prolactin, I believe that even this class of drugs can be defined with anti-androgenic properties.

The only thing I notice about this my friend, He who does not seem to suffer from the food intolerances that people who have taken Finastaride usually have. For example, he is a vegetarian / raw foodist, and seems to tolerate well foods that are or are referred to as 5-AR property. Perhaps the condition that antipsychotics cause is not quite similar to whoever took Finasteride or SSRIs, but I don’t know for sure.

What do you think about it?

Some time ago I also know a woman in her 60s who suffered from severe genital anesthesia since 1977, when she’s had forced injections of haloperidol after a nervous breakdown in college, and she’s hasn’t recovered, even though she married and had children, she didn’t even need painkillers for the birth.

Antipsychotics were marketed in 1950. The first marketed was Chlorpromazine also known as chemical lobotomy. The first SSRI-like Tricycyl antidepressants such as Clomipramine hit the market in the early 1960s, and even these certainly can cause PSSD. Before there was no internet to communicate, probably this condition or a similar condition has existed for a long time.

2 Likes

PTSD can have same effect as PFS and they don’t even use any drugs.

Curious how you came to know that the woman in her sixties suffered from severe genital anesthesia. Outside of this forum, others, and its members and the occasional doctor who dismisses PFS, I have never shared this condition with anyone at all. I wonder how many other have shared their condition with trusted friends and family, and if they were taken seriously.

For what it’s worth, I was given abilify when I was in V a very deep depression, and things didn’t get worse, because they were already at the bottom. Of course, I stopped it shortly after and regretted taking it, and may have complicated an already bad situation, but after 15 years of PFS and watching your life go by, you can get desperate waiting for someone to do something, and asking you to wait over and over while they do it.

Nice profile picture, by the way.

1 Like

@NewYorker I’ve shared it with almost everyone I know and even newly meet, for me it’s a way of explaining the changes to my personality, confidence looks etc. At times I’ve explained it with the skills of a physician (bad comparison) a medical expert down to an oaf when I simply blurti it out. Either way it’s cost me dearly because next to no one believes me and because it isn’t a temporary condition they disappear which makes feel like this is somehow my fault. Would I change what I’ve done. The answer is a resounding NO. This not my fault, I’ve lost my job, my marriage, my friends, what made me me and my health and everyone needs to know what caused this when the truth comes out one day some will feel guilty and rightly so. If we don’t speak out nothing changes and the likes of Merck continue to roll out more advanced drugs that are altering human DNA. I appreciate everyone is different and we deal with it the best way we can but this is my take on it. You’ve been quiet for a long time I thought you’d improved and moved on?

3 Likes

I can appreciate what you’re going through, and applaud your bravery in sharing it. I am very very far in having the strength you have to do that. You are in good company with what you lost. It’s painful, and even more so when no one understands it or dismisses us.

After having so much hope in HCG, and injecting it for over six months, with only so few benefits (yes, there is an improvement from baseline, but it’s minor for me), I fell into a deep depression, and used Wellbutrin (I know, I know) to help me out of it. It helped me, and God only knows what additional and unnoticed damage it may have done, but it has helped.

Now that I’ve gotten out of that deep slump, I’m more committed to doing something and trying just about anything within reason to overcome any of the symptoms. I’ve even joined the Post Finasteride Syndrome group on that famous social media platform.

I’ve taken creams, lotions, supplements, vitamins, injectables (under a dr’s supervision) and find myself numb to everything, except, and not surprisingly, water fasting, intermittent fasting and keto, and hard exercise (which for me is push-ups-I’m up to over 100 a day). I took a bunch last week, and mentally, I feel better, which is good, but I’m even more dead down there.

I have more supplements coming in the mail today and tomorrow. They’re all from seemingly unpopular success stories, but have at least some successful research studies behind them. I know the risks, but I doubt they can damage me more than I have been. I may be wrong about that, and things can indeed get worse, but we’ve all been so low with this condition, and we’ve eventually bounced up again. And the trials give me hope to live another day, hopefully closer to even some partial relief from PFS symptoms.

1 Like

She’s are an anti-psychiatry activist, especially informs people about the harm caused by antipsychotics. She is a retired teacher.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing that. She’s brave too, to share that. I’m sure thousands of women are suffering silently with the same condition. Before PFS, I was involved with a woman who had been on antidepressants, and they too left her numb. She was so frustrated by that condition during intercourse, that she’d have fits of rage. I just couldn’t understand it at the time, but now I’m living it too. I was curious and was asking about your friend because throughout this decades long PFS ordeal I’ve had, I’ve found older women are more tolerant and accepting more from their partners, for a number of reasons. They too seem eager for companionship and friendship, even if it’s not very sexual. We all need that human touch, and it helps. For years, I was only involved with older women. And a 60 year old isn’t too old if you’re in your 50’s.

Somewhere in the dizzying array of threads and topics here, there was some discussion regarding a dating platform for people with sexual disfunction to meet. There are many days where I long for the companionship of someone who understands our plight, and to be there for them too.

1 Like

You’re a strong lad @NewYorker I applaud you. I remember reading your intro and what you’d been through/your losses the brink etc. I understand trying things because that improvement even if temporary feels worth it. From having that endless beaten feeling in the pit of your stomach no matter what you do. No connection with the world only pain etc. So when at this point it is worth it. Dead for the next however long is worth trading for the sweet smell of life, the warmth of you loved ones, feeling music, happiness even if just for a day. Good luck with everything brother

1 Like

Not everyone develops food intolerances or gastro-intestinal issues with this condition. I don’t think I have any of that either.

There are foods that I avoid but that is honestly only because others allegedly crash on them (soy, mushrooms).
Before PFS I was vegan and I only changed diet many months into PFS. The first couple of months I was still eating heavily soy-based food before I switched diet in hopes of positive change. I have never ‘crashed’ as far as I know and I can handle most food as far as I know.

2 Likes

Around 10 years ago some researchers even proposed finasteride as an antipsychotic drug, crazy and scary s…t.

1 Like

There were also some doctors recommending finasteride as a Covid treatment for no other reason than a large number of androgenic alopecia patients coming in with Covid and more male Covid patients than female. They hadn’t figured out what the exact relationships were they just immediately said, this antiandrogenic drug will help these “overly androgenic” patients, because that’s obviously what’s going on. And voila

It is because fin ruins your dopaminergic system. It’s been proposed to be used in addiction also.

They’re all a bunch of cunts!!! Sorry for the language

3 Likes