Antidepressants to fix insomnia

I have read that finastride downregulated our neurosteroid in brain and antidepressants can upregulate neurosteroid level in brain so should we use antidepressants to upregulate neurosteroid level in the brain to fix our insomnia

Whatever the case, you can’t use SSRI antidepressants.

But I don’t care about sexual symptoms I want my sleep back even if it cost my libido

I wasn’t aware that SSRI=sexual problems.

Whatever the case, there’s endless amounts of information about anti depressants here if you use the search function.

I also don`t care too much about sex and want my sleep back.

There`s a lot of plants and natural products that can be used:

• Valerian
  • Passion Flower
  • Ashwagandha
  • Schisandra
  • Bacopa
  • St-John`s Worth
  • Maca
  • Kava Kava
  • GABA
  • Taurine
  • Glycine
  • Glutamine
  • Tryptophan
  • Inusitol
  • Melatonin
  • Vitamin B complex
  • Vitamin D
  • Magnesium

Some unnatural stuff as well:

• First generation Anti-Histamine like Hydroxyzine 10 mg or Cetirizine (I take Hydroxyzine)
  • Bad and evil benzodiazepine like clonazepam. Thats what I take and I wish I didnt. But I`m in a country with no social welfare and I have a wife and three children. I need to sleep in the night, and work in the day.

Try the natural stuff first. Go slowly, if it feels bad, stop. If it feels good, continue and if it feels too good to be true, reduce the dose.

3 Likes

I would avoid ssri use if i was you. However some PSSD people benefit from a really low dose SSRI, but some also worsend.

Here are some links from the PSSD forum.

http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1491&p=13217&hilit=Neurosteriods#p13217
(Note that many (incl. Me) had PSSD symptoms after 1 pill or short term use)

http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=608&hilit=Low+dose+ssri

I’m a PSSD-sufferer and I recommend opipramol. It’s a very safe drug (at least for me). Helps with falling asleep with almost no side effects. You take it 1-2 hours before sleeping.

I’m sleeping better on wellbutrin. Still wake up a few times but I fall back to sleep. I wouldn’t maybe take it if you have anxiety issues though. I think this and synthroid have definitely helped me. Also 10 years off propecia.

Is this available only in Europe? Not much discussion of this drug on other forums that I’ve found.

What was your sleep like before taking wellbutrin?

Lighter. Woke up feeling I barely slept. I feel like I’ve had a deep sleep, now.

It’s still not perfect. I might wake up a few times… But I’ve been able to fall back asleep so far.

Had a coffee and green tea yesterday and was pretty wired. I should probably go decaf on it.

Just don’t rush into it before a good talk with your doctor.

Green Tea = 5ar inhibitor.

Any updates? I’ve been looking into mirtazapine for sleep maintenance insomnia but there are a few reported cases of worsening sexual sides here on propeciahelp and on the PSSD forums.

That is one theory, but since we do not cut open people’s brains and study them while they are alive it is hard to say what is really happening when someone takes a drug that is called an antidepressant. Newer research shows that they create chemical imbalances and do not fix purported chemical imbalances.
There are a lot of non-drug ways to treat insomnia, we all need to try those before asking a doctor for another pill!