Antidepressants associated with significantly elevated risk of death, researchers find

Antidepressants associated with significantly elevated risk of death, researchers find

This is a fairly new study to be saying we’re not really sure how antidepressants work, or their effects outside of the brain. Reminds me of Accutane.

It’s widely known that brain serotonin affects mood, and that most commonly used antidepressant treatment for depression blocks the absorption of serotonin by neurons. It is less widely known, though, that all the major organs of the body – the heart, kidneys, lungs, liver – use serotonin from the bloodstream.

Antidepressants block the absorption of serotonin in these organs as well, and the researchers warn that antidepressants could increase the risk of death by preventing multiple organs from functioning properly.

The researchers reviewed studies involving hundreds of thousands of people and found that antidepressant users had a 33% higher chance of death than non-users. Antidepressant users also had a 14% higher risk of cardiovascular events, such as strokes and heart attacks. The findings were published in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics .

“We are very concerned by these results. They suggest that we shouldn’t be taking antidepressant drugs without understanding precisely how they interact with the body,” says author Paul Andrews, an associate professor at McMaster University who led the research team.

Taken by one in eight adult Americans, antidepressants are among the most frequently used medications. They are often prescribed by family doctors without a formal diagnosis of depression, on the assumption they are safe. Since depression itself can be deadly – people with depression are at an increased risk of suicide, stroke and heart attack – many physicians think that antidepressants could save lives by reducing depressive symptoms.

However, McMaster researcher and co-author Marta Maslej, says, “Our findings are important because they undermine this assumption. I think people would be much less willing to take these drugs if they were aware how little is known about their impact outside of the brain, and that what we do know points to an increased risk of death.”

Benoit Mulsant, a psychiatrist at the University of Toronto who was also involved in the study, says the findings point to the need for more research on how antidepressants actually do work.

I prescribe antidepressants even though I do not know if they are more harmful than helpful in the long-term. I am worried that in some patients they could be, and psychiatrists in 50 years will wonder why we did not do more to find out,” Mulsant says.

Interestingly, the news about antidepressants is not all bad. The researchers found that antidepressants are not harmful for people with cardiovascular diseases such as heart disease and diabetes. This makes sense since these antidepressants have blood-thinning effects that are useful in treating such disorders. Unfortunately, this also means that for most people who are in otherwise good cardiovascular health, antidepressants tend to be harmful.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this.

Here is the link to the journal article being discussed:

Methods: Two reviewers independently assessed articles from PubMed, EMBASE, and Google Scholar for AD-related mortality controlling for depression and other comorbidities.

Results: Seventeen studies met our search criteria. Sample type consistently moderated health risks. In general-population samples, AD use increased the risks of mortality (HR = 1.33, 95% CI: 1.14-1.55) and new cardiovascular events (HR = 1.14, 95% CI: 1.08-1.21). In cardiovascular patients, AD use did not significantly affect risks.

2 Likes

The research I have done is that drugs that tweak serotonin can damage the valves of the heart—not a good thing. Also read that this kind of drug increases hardening of the arteries, not a good thing either.

Research in the past 10 or so years, especially from Dr Irving Kirsch, demonstrates that taking a serotonin drug for a mental illness is only a little bit better than taking a placebo, and other research shows that the weird bodily symptoms that people get when they take an antidepressant is interpreted as the treatment working when it is just the placebo effect in a different way or from a different angle.

Bottom line, and you can google this, that scientific research has NOT proven that serotonin or deficiency of it is what causes depression. Some drugs that DECREASE serotonin have also been used for depression like all the ones w know about that INCREASE serotonin. So it’s not simplistic and reductionistic. The conventional wisdom comes from big pharma running with the hypothesis even if it cannot be proven. We dont have ways to measure in a live human brain the amounts of this or that transmitter, and we know so little about the brain anyway.

1 Like

It reminds me of someone dumping a gallon of oil on their car’s engine because their valves are knocking. That’s the state of the art of psychiatric medicine :smiley:

Hmm. That was exactly my take on antidepressants before I was in the know. They didn’t make me feel better, but I felt different and, for a short time, interpreted that to mean they were working. …Could you post some of these studies in the Other Studies category if you can find links to them?

1 Like

Thanks for this, I agree with what the study said, although SSRIs are considered rather light and well tolerated drugs, in reality they are rather powerful and harsh drugs with numerous side effects not only on a sexual function. Serotonin regulates many bodily functions so organs can malfunction if stimulated in a certain way, especially at the cardiovascular level. They are drugs that can also damage the stomach, it is not uncommon for a person on it to suffer from nausea, constipation alternating with diarrhea, gastro-oesophageal reflux and rectal bleeding, some of these symptoms may also occur after stopping treatment.

3 Likes

I will try to post some that I have. Can I post links or actual docs?

1 Like

Most of those serotonin drugs were studied for 6 to 8 weeks, but I know people on them for 6 or 8 or more YEARS. It is scary, but people believe that they have to keep taking them, like a diabetic has to keep taking insulin, etc.

When this class of drugs were first studied, yes, they had or seemed to have fewer side effects than the older two classes of drugs (MAOIs and tricyclics) so they were promoted endlessly by Big Pharma as THE BEST EVER. Well, we know now with finasteride how that industry tweaks and spins and eliminates data to make things look super duper.

If someone has an extreme case of depression, maybe a drug can help. But most people know 0 about CBT and other proven forms of psychotherapy. Instead they think they just take one pill and it’ll be magic, just like an antibiotic.

Links. I don’t think the site supports uploading documents as attachments to forum posts.

Thanks.

ok I will try to do some

1 Like