Androstenedione to estrone malfunction

Animal study: androstenedione more effective sex hormone than testosterone or DHT

In this study, snip castrated rats were given testosterone and androstenedione. Test gave them approximately half libido as control and androstenedione gave them 80%. For every 5 times a control mated androstenedione mated 4.

People with pfs regularly have low estrone and high-normal androstenedione. Low androstenedione metabolites. My speculation is the disconnect between androstenedione to estrone is a key to understanding this condition.

You can find a ton of information of how cyp19 modulates male libido. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/scientists-pinpointed-gene-regulates-sexual-desire-men/

so my question is does anyone know what could improve this conversion so we can test this out? Cyp19 cytochrome 450

My saliva Androstenedione: 70 pg/ml
(Reference range: 49-119 pg/ml)

My Saliva Estrone: 2.2 pg/ml
(Reference range: 1.3-3.6 pg/ml)

My saliva Estriol: <0.9 pg/ml
(Reference range: <1.7 pg/ml)

My Saliva estradiol: 0.7 pg/ml
(Reference range: 0.5-1.3 pg/ml)

My plasma Androstenedione: 0.7 ng/mL
(Reference range: 0.5-2.2 ng/mL)

So I actually have lowish plasma Androstenedione and not really lowish but definitely not highish saliva androstenedione

My Saliva estrone is normal

My Saliva estradiol is lowish

My Saliva 17OH-Progesterone is high: 32 pg/ml (6-28 pg/ml)
This suggests an issue with 17OH-Progesterone going to Androstenedione via the 17, 20 lyase enzyme. 170h-Progesterone appears to be building up because not enough of it can go to Androstenedione in my case. This makes sense seeing that plasma Androstenedione is lowish as well.

Then of course in my case estradiol is lowish suggesting lowish aromatase activity

My most significant finding is low Pregnenolone Sulfate <1 pg/ml (reference range: 1-23 pg/ml) which is seen at the very beginning of the cascade with Pregnenolone going to Pregnenolone sufate via the ST enzyme which also converts DHEA to DHEA sulfate. I believe that it’s very important that we find out if other PFS victims are low in Pregnenolone sulfate. It’s a negative allosteric modulator of the GABA receptors. Allopregnenolone is a positive allosteric modulator of the GABA receptors. The GABA receptors need a proper balance of negative and positive allosteric modulation to function properly.

I will make another thread to continue this discussion because I don’t want to hijack. I was just sharing because my values did not match with your findings

Also two other members tested lowish in plasma Androstenedione in 2013:

spstricken: Androstenedione: 0.8 (0.5-2.2)
scaredoutofmymind: Androstenedione: 1.0 (0.5-2.2)

Are you aware of other people who tested high in Androstenedione? If so could you please post their usernames and values so we can try to classify cases.

I’ve just been seeing it but not members, thanks for sharing your values though.

If you can post their values it would be awesome

We clearly have different cases and it would be nice to see if the high Androstenedione cases share any other common characteristic

I will as I find them or I’ll do a sweep when I get off work

1 Like