Androgen receptors and penile growth

Is this old paper contradicting the hypothesis that we have downregulated AR?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9258152

1 Like

The hypothesis here is that we have upregulated AR as far as I’m aware

2 Likes

It is not a hypothesis. The Di Loreto study found overexpressed ARs in penile tissue of patients with PFS and sexual symptoms,

2 Likes

so why not trying reducing DHT by something like 30% to see if we get better?

If you lower androgens, you run the risk of further upregulation and putting yourself in an even worse state.

1 Like

The thing I don’t understand is: if the AR are upregulated, shouldn’t we be experiencing the opposite symptoms, that is super high libido?

Many people report that they have a period of time where they do feel hyper sexual after stopping use of a drug, then a crash follows.

The theory is that the receptors are over sensitised to the hormone at this time but are “silenced” as the body reacts to what is over-exposure.

The signal is too loud so the body ignores the overload. And here we are.

Disclaimer: not a scientist, doctor or guy with all the answers. That’s my layman’s understanding.

1 Like

an then reducing receptor numbers by overloading on test or DHT for a time and then gradually slow it down with a doc would it have an impact?

I don’t know, if it was that simple I think it would be a known treatment by now.

Some report feeling better with various hormone boosts and cuts, some then suffer further crashes.

On paper it should work, but in practice it rarely does (otherwise this forum wouldn’t exist). Maybe the problem is that there isn’t a way to reduce DHT levels by a predictable amount. Either too little and nothing happens, or too much and a crash occurs.

1 Like