An urologist speaks out against Finasteride

A good article about the dangers of Finasteride and PFS written by an urologist.

And of course he has to be an urologic surgeon.

https://www.htxurology.com/blog/what-is-post-finasteride-syndrome-19313.html

What are the risks?

Post-Finasteride Syndrome (PFS) encompasses a constellation of adverse symptoms that can affect a man physically, neurologically, psychiatrically, and sexually when taking finasteride. These symptoms include:

• Erectile dysfunction (ED)
  • Decreased desire for sex
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Atrophy (tissue breakdown) of genitals
  • Muscle wasting
  • Increased fat deposits
  • Breast tissue growth
  • Anxiety & “Brainfog”
  • Blunted affect or emotional sensitivity

Obviously, this is a very long list of side effects and there are others reported as well. PFS can start shortly after starting the medication and can possibly last months to years after stopping. Decreasing the dosage strength is unlikely to reduce the risk of PFS. Patients considering using these medications should be very careful and speak to a Urologist in person about risks, benefits, and indications of treatment.

I take finasteride, what should I do?

There is much to still learn about PFS, and more long-term studies are needed before we decide to stop prescribing these medications entirely. For now, my recommendation if you are taking finasteride is to schedule an appointment with me to discuss alternatives to medication for enlarged prostate.

It is important to note that edications like finasteride typically only mask the symptoms of BPH but do not offer a cure for symptoms of enlarged prostate. Definitive treatment is becoming the key to preserving bladder health and avoiding harmful side-effects of medication as mentioned above.

For example, the UroLift System can get men off medication and cure BPH symptoms in an office procedure in under 10 minutes. If the prostate is significantly enlarged, a TURP may be needed which can be performed under anesthesia without incisions or need for post-operative pain medication.

For more information on PFS, please visit the PFS Foundation website.

7 Likes

He may be a surgeon but this is a start. He has respected credentials and was the chief resident in his training program so he may get some influence some day. We all have biased shaped by our experiences, I mean I don’t think anybody here is desperate to get a job in big pharma anytime soon, but the truth will get out there in time. I also don’t think he is doing this because it is self serving and will drive more people to get surgery, but he is maybe more open-minded about the harms of finasteride because he doesn’t prescribe it so much.

Robert Cialdini is a fantastic psychologist who has extensively studied persuasion and he created six principles for persuasion. One is commitment which says people like to be consistent with what they have said or done in the past. In other words, it is hard to admit they’ve made a mistake. Surgeons and newer doctors don’t have that problem so much. Worth checking out this principle plus the other five since I’ve seen them used in practice and used them myself to be more effective in achieving my goals.

1 Like