Amoxicillin and Prednisone to treat Sinus Issue

Hi All - quick question - I had an MRI recently and showed some stuff in my sinuses. The doctor prescribed me amoxicillin and Prednisone to get it all cleared up. Does anyone know if this is a 5ARI or if it has any negative impact on PFSers? Thanks so much.

Rather than speculating as to the effects of the antibiotics your doctor prescribed, you might want to ask whether a mucus culture might be used to identify any bacteria.

My understanding is that most cases of sinusitis are caused by a viral infection. However, since yours has evidently persisted long enough for an MRI to be ordered, your situation may be different.

Yeah and less concerned about the antibiotics and more concerned with the steroid. Appreciate the suggestion tho.

Purely anecdotal, but I have taken Prednisone several times without any long term issue.

It negatively affected my sleep while on it, but keep in mind that my sleep is quite fragile regardless of medication. I returned to baseline quite quickly.

1 Like

I’ve tried exactly that combo, and it didn’t affect PFS in any direction for me.

However, prednisone made me jittery and I generally didn’t feel good while taking it. And it didn’t help my sinusitis.

1 Like

Thanks so much! Do you recall the dose? They have me on a tapering program where I take 40 the first week, 30 the second, 20 the 3rd, 10 4th, and 5 on the 5th

Did anything end up helping?

Balloon sinuplasty and turbinate reduction helped a little. Xylitol helped for a while, but then made things worse.

Steroids in salt water nasal rinses (mometasone) worked pretty well, but didn’t get me over the hump. Got some benefits from doing saline rinses with my head upside down. Learned the technique from a YouTube video i can’t find anymore.

Now using dymista, and I’m stable, but again, not sinusitis-free.

Tried dozens of other things, but those were the things that helped.

I’m sorry to hear this so tricky to resolve. Hoping the steroids and antibotics do the trick - will keep you posted if I find anything that works.

1 Like