Allopregnanolone Study

Like many of you on the site I am suffering from the mental sides in conjunction with sexual dysfunction from finasteride. I often slur my speech and experience anxiety in social settings. Prior to taking finasteride I rarely slurred my speech and was pretty comfortable speaking in front of people. We know the neurosteroid allopregnanolone has anxiolytic effects is inhibited by finasteride.

I recently read through an article about an ongoing study at UC Davis where they are administering allopregnanolone to victims of brain injury to see if it can be beneficial to them. Obviously our situation is much different than theirs, but I was wondering if anyone here had thoughts on if a study showing exogenous allopregnanolone administration to those of us who are experiencing the mental sides may be beneficial. I am aware that we now think that the sexual dysfunction may be caused by something to do with our brain hormones, but I wanted to hear thoughts on just on allopregnanolone like in the UC Davis study. thanks

ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/welcome/features/20100203_brain_injury/index.html

Post link to the study pls.

Good stuff. It would be interesting to hear someone like Dr. Jacobs’ or Dr. Irwig’s take on this idea.

Any study on PFS victims has to rule out that we do not have a “normal” hormonal deficiency.

Note that many men (non-pfs sufferers) who, at some point in their life, had an endocrine system crash, started slurring words and stuttering. Dr Crisler has cured the stuttering in several of them by simply administrating pregnenolone.

So, the study should prove that, despite good pregnenolone levels, some PFS victims stutter.

mew - did you ever contact UC davis to see if they have any interest?