Advice on quitting Finasterid?

Hi

I’m currently on 1mg of finasterid a day against hairloss. I have been taking the drug for two years. I decided to quit, because I have signs of low libido and signs of Peyronie’s disease. I’m in my late twenties and have low body fat. Do you guys have any community advice on how I should quit? Cold turkey or tapering off? I have the 5mg (Proscar) tablets that I used to cut into smaller bits. Is it possible to dissolve the tablets in alcohol or water to dilute them?

thank you kindly

It is possible to dissolve them in alcohol to take lower doses. From my brief research it looks like you have to get all the way down to like 0.01mg before effectiveness really comes down. If you do some googling you can find the dose vs. DHT reduction curve. It’s pretty telling and shows just how strong these drugs are.

Normally fin is very bimodal. It’s either completely working or completely not, there isn’t much in between which makes trying to taper quite difficult. Perhaps with small enough doses there’s an in between of sorts but it would have to be very very small amounts as mentioned earlier.

If I were doing it all over again I would probably get some of the 1mg pills and dissolve them in alcohol and use that to take very small doses and taper down that way. You can skip trying half a pill or anything like that. That’s still probably 50x too much (at best) to do anything taper wise

That’s just my thoughts though. It’s possible quitting cold turkey is the better option. I don’t know. I don’t know that anyone truly does.

i would quit cold turkey. im not a big fan of hormonal fluctuations due to tapering. could be that you end worse with tapering than quit cold turkey. in the studies they never tried to taper off so no one knows if its safer or the opposite. quit cold turkey and the odds are in your favor that you dont get pfs

That is true as well–no one really knows which is the better option. Most people are fine just quitting cold turkey, but we don’t know if a higher percent would end up fine if everyone tapered… there just isn’t enough info to say.

1 Like

thank you for the replies guys. I think I will try the cold turkey method.

1 Like

Hey how arw you doing?