Adverse Fin Effects for Elderly?

My father is 86 and post-stroke. He hasn’t been doing very well recently. He will get dizzy and faint, which recently resulted in a broken hip.

When he got out of rehab 3 weeks later, he had a difficult time all the time, but especially at night. He has intense anxiety, insomnia, and confusion. He also has a lot of constant urinary problems. He’s back in the hospital for all of these symptoms.

I just recently found out that his doctors had put him on 5mg fin a while ago. Then taken him off. Then on. Then off. Now on again.

I can’t imagine, especially since we share the same genetics, that his body handles fin well, let alone 5mg of the stuff. But given his age and post-stroke condition, I find it unlikely that any doctor would consider any of his symptoms to be related to fin.

Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with how fin has effected elderly men?

The survey results show that the overwhelming majority of PFS cases occur in males under the age of 34, essentially people who’s physical composition is more androgen dependant.

Obviously this is anecdotal but my dad, who’s 64, has spent considerable time on finasteride lately to treat prostate issues and he’s now off it with no issues experienced at any point.

It’s very hard to say definitively either way whether or not your father’s issues are directly related to fin and I certainly wouldn’t rule it out but the survey data, which is admittedly a small sample, at least suggests it’s less likely.

4 Likes

^^^ This ^^^
is why everyone needs to do the survey.

Sensible, real answers based on real information. The more people participate, the more accurate such statements will be and the more confident we can be in making them. I believe over 300 people have already completed it, but every additional person counts.

Whoever reads this who hasn’t done it yet, please participate in the survey — The link is the little column graph icon in the top right corner next to the search icon.

Don’t worry about being ‘a different case’ or ‘distorting the results’ — That is what a survey is for. Your results are welcomed and anomalies may potentially provide insights.

Thank you in advance.

4 Likes