Accutane Sufferer

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)?
Istanbul / Turkey
How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
Google search in 2014
What is your current age, height, weight?
38years 184cm 85kg
What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?
Propecia in 2000 with no side effects (never knew about). Accutane in 2014.
What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
I took 40mg/day for two months in 2014 Jan/Feb.
What condition was being treated with the drug?
Mild acne (the doctor gave me for the first place. Soft alternatives should be used in the beginning. Stupid doctor)
For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?
2 months
How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug?
34 years old. Started in 2014 Jan/Feb.
How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
34 years old. Stopped in 01 March 2014.
How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
Cold Turkey
How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?
I experienced some side effects without realising it (night blindness eg). I finally noticed it after I found out that I can not get it up.
What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
ED, genital shrinkage, tinnitus, tremor, vision problems (visual snow in night time when it is dark, double vision, night blindness, floaters), weak urine, hair loss and thinning, panic attacks anxiety and sucidal state, loss of flexibility.
Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[x] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[x] Erectile Dysfunction
[x] Complete Impotence
[x] Loss of Morning Erections
[x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[x] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[x] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[x] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[x] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[x] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[x] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[x] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[x] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[x] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[x] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[x] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[x] Muscle Wastage
[x] Muscle Weakness
[x] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[x] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[x] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[x] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[x] Increased hair loss
[x] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)
Tremor

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
Herbal solutions, testo supplements, cut sugar, water fasting…
If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
My blood panel is always in range even I look from outside as there is no testo in my blood. My estrogen has come out high once, but then it seems in range now.
Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
I had an ED & low sex drive after 2 months / 40mg of accutane. Definition of my ED is the connection between me and my penis was completely lost. It happened overnight and I immediately stopped the drug.
Other side effects started after I stopped the drug. ED, genital shrinkage, tinnitus, tremor, vision problems (visual snow in night time when it is dark, double vision, night blindness, floaters), weak urine, hair loss and thinning, panic attacks anxiety and sucidal state, loss of flexibility… I thought that I am gonna die. These days my factory settings have changed. I aged from 34 to 60’s in a few weeks. That was what I was feeling. Now fast forward to 2018. I still have low libido and zero sensation, no urge to have sex, no pleasure at all. My mental state is ok. Genital shrinkage is still there. Tinnitus is still there. Floaters are gone. Tremor is gone. Suicidal state and panic atacks gone. I am doing fine with the life but it is different now.

3 Likes

Hi there MrErdem, and welcome to the forum. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with the forum. I’m really sorry to hear about what’s happened to you. Your experience chimes with my own and probably many others here with some side effects occurring on the drug and others occurring on stopping, and longer term some symptoms improving whilst others persist. I’m pleased to hear that things have improved for you despite ongoing issues.

I couldn’t have put it better.

Welcome to the community here and thank you for sharing your story, sad as it is to read. It’s a huge positive that your mental health has improved at least.