Accutane and Bowel Problems (Diverticulosis)

Accutane has been long “linked” to bowel issues such as Crohn’s & Ulcerative Colitis. But has anybody had other issues such as Diverticulosis / Diverticulitis?

After my crash, I developed minor pain in my lower left abdomen that has progressively gotten worse of the last 5-6 years. I chalked it up to IBS before finally getting a colonoscopy which diagnosed me with diverticular disease.

What kind of pain do you experience there? Any other symptoms? I’ve also noticed my lower left side feel swollen and have gas build up but no real pain

A dull, persistent pain in my lower left side, bouts of extreme bloating for years, very similar to IBS. I recently had an “attack” where I got super constipated, the pain increased and I got super bloated. I finally got a colonoscopy to see what was going on, that’s when they found the diverticulosis.

I’m more worried about the diverticulosis pouches in my colon eventually getting infected / inflamed with a bout of diverticulitis.

I see. Does the pain appear when you touch it, or is it always there? I might get a colonoscopy done to be sure. What’s the treatment like for diverticulosis? Or is it just about preventing it from progressing to diverticulitis?

It’s always there, persistent as hell. Most people that get the pouches never experience symptoms. Once a person develops symptoms it’s classified as “diverticular disease”. The treatment for me is to relieve symptoms and prevent a diverticulitis flare.

I’m on 7 days cycles of an antibiotic called “Rifaximin” now as I’ve heard it’s helped people with symptomatic diverticulosis. Aside from this med, there’s really not much else.

Hey curious, did rifaximine give you any adverse effects?

Nothing really other than some constipation.

1 Like