A warning regarding garlic extract

In late July of this year I started taking garlic extract supplements to treat a case of SIBO. Upon taking them I developed severe insomnia, slightly lowered libido and a loss of body odor and reduction of sebum production. My insomnia has improved since slightly, but still isn’t back to PFS base. My body odor and sebum are yet to improve.

I thought this was a niche supplement that people were unlikely to take so never bothered posting, until I just had a private conversation with @anon73159565, who took Allicin earlier this year - a stronger, more concentrated version of my supplement - and experienced a bad crash himself.

To my knowledge, these supplements are rarely used for things besides eradicating bacterial infections. Just a heads up in case anybody else considers taking them.

3 Likes

Yep was mentally and sexually pretty much recovered from September 18 till March 19. I would say 70-80%. Then I took tons of allicin because I thought I should kill the bad bacteria in the gut. Took it 10 days. Day one I had bad ass brain fog and was disconnected emotionally and numb. I thought it’s die off so I took it 10 days. And crashed badly. Took 2 months to recover. Then I took Fluconazole and crashed again.

I think @Ukguy82 might have used this, just flagging it up.

1 Like

Ugh I cook with lots of Garlic. Now I’m going to have a garlic complex

I have garlic often too and will continue, I think garlic extract is super concentrated, you would need to consume a significant number of cloves to get near to the amount in a small amount of extract.

Having said that, I am too scared to eat sweet liquorice now, because I am concerned about liquorice extract.

I have eaten foods containing garlic numerous times without consequence. As @Greek said, garlic extract and allicin are extremely concentrated in high amounts.

I have used garlic extract. Didnt seem to do anything. I tried it because I saw a user named Konflict using it and he thought it helped sleep.

I have noticed that I get more frequent morning wood the morning after I eat a clove or two of raw garlic

1 Like

I was eating garlic regularly as part of a healthy diet. I realised it was one of the many foods negatively effecting me. I stopped taking for approx a year then re introduced eat in very small amounts ie slice of a clove every other day. Muscles filled with blood mood improved intermittent boners then a mini crash. I maybe have a very small amount of it on food when eating out which doesn’t cause an issue. Basically garlic is a test booster which isn’t good for some of us even in small amounts. Same goes for red wine. I was having a sip twice a daily for a few weeks in total it would have amounted to a full glass overall. This also nailed me after a window of improvement.

I’m sorry to hear this. Garlic is very high in flavonoids and phenols (1). As we repeatedly warn, concentrated phenolic compounds in extracts have caused PFS in the first place in some severely affected patients. We cater for phenol supplements causing PFS in the survey for this reason. They are potent antiandrogenic endocrine disruptors and after development of PFS patients can be remarkably sensitive to further antiandrogenic substances. Concentrated extracts are very different to dietary concentrations and, despite alternative health marketing, the amounts of these compounds are far from natural and recent publications are recognising the potential “peril” due to their endocrine disruptive actions. Please be aware strong doses of rutin and resveratrol, which have potent antiandrogenic effect, have caused PFS and preceded existing PFS patient suicide.

(1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3827438/

2 Likes

Something very similar happened to me back in March. I took a really high polyphenol brand of cacao nibs for a couple of days straight and got severe insomnia and other symptoms as a result. It’s been almost 6 months later and I’ve seen very little improvement with the insomnia.

Sorry to hear that man. Did you experience any other symptoms after taking the cacao nibs?

I think Allicin is different from garlic extract. Allicin is a sulfur type compound.
Allicin could be very potent against numerous gram positive and negative bacteria (even probiotics)
and is also antifungal.

“Allicin (diallylthiosulfinate) is a defence molecule from garlic ( Allium sativum L.) with broad antimicrobial activities in the low µM range against Gram-positive and -negative bacteria, including antibiotic resistant strains, and fungi.”

Health | Garlic ‘beats hospital superbug’ - BBC NEWS
news.bbc.co.uk › health
](http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3344325.stm)

Dec 24, 2003 - Dr Ron Cutler and his team discovered the effectiveness of allicin in laboratory tests five years ago. They found it can cure MRSA within weeks.

Antibacterial effect of hydrosoluble extracts of garlic (Allium sativum) against Bifidobacterium spp. and Lactobacillus acidophilus

This study reveals for the first time, susceptibility of bifidobacteria to antibacterial activity of garlic. Caution is therefore advised when using probiotic bifidobacteria and garlic simultaneously.

1 Like

All my symptoms came back after taking the cacao nibs and some more. Palpitations, anxiety, suicidal depression, muscle stiffness, unrelenting severe insomnia, fatigue. I also developed this tightness in my head and really dry eyes, both of which and everything else have improved except for the completely disabling insomnia. There were some glimmers of hope but in the past two days it feels like I hadn’t improved at all since the cacao nibs.

1 Like

I’ve been eating locally grown garlic for acouple days and I was wondering what was making me feel like such shit. guess it’s the garlic, well time to completely stop this shit, hopefully this doesn’t keep up, I feel like ass

Anyone else try Allicin? I’m considering taking it to treat a C Diff infection.

Garlic has not appeared to have a detrimental effect on me.

2 Likes

Sure enough took 1 capsule of Allicin yesterday and felt fine all day but had pretty bad insomnia and today worsening of symptoms - sex drive is back to 0 - my penis is a lot more numb and when trying to jack off - little to no orgasm and had to pee the whole time.

Hopefully I will return to baseline after a few weeks - this is truly the biggest nightmare I dont think I could have invented a worse condition - fuck!

1 Like

I think I have returned to baseline - except now I have more noticable visual snow