A role for the androgen receptor in collagen content of the skin

Many of the good people here mention an apparent loss of collagen due to thinning skin, excessive elasticity of skin, and loss of volume in facial structure.

The following study found that male mice with a dysfunctional AR had “visibly” reduced collagen content in skin and that even female mice with dysfunctional AR had “slightly” reduced collagen compared to normal controls:

M. S. Markova, J. Zeskand, B. McEntee, J. Rothstein, S. A. Jimenez, and L. D. Siracusa, “A role for the androgen receptor in collagen content of the skin,” J. Invest. Dermatol., vol. 123, no. 6, pp. 1052–1056, Dec. 2004.

Collagen, the major macromolecular component of skin, is responsible for maintaining the structural integrity of the tissue as well as for providing important functional characteristics, such as pliability and thickness. We have been studying the structure and regulation of collagen in mouse mutations affecting the skin. In the course of these studies, we found that there are significant differences in collagen content between the skin of wild-type male and female mice, which become evident at puberty. Furthermore, male mice with an X-linked mutation in the androgen receptor gene (formerly called testicular feminization and abbreviated as Ar(Tfm)) showed decreased levels of collagen, indicating that the androgen receptor pathway contributes to the observed differences. These findings demonstrate that there are striking differences in the collagen content of skin between male and female mice, and provide a biochemical explanation for these differences.

Histopathological analysis of skin samples showed that ArTfm/Y males have visibly less collagen than wild-type males (Figure 1b, d). In addition, ArTfm/X females have a slightly decreased amount of collagen compared with wild-type females (Figure 1a, c)

5 Likes

Thats a great find Dubya, I’m interested with it talking about collagen gene mutations in the mice, would it have the same effect on us since our issues are expression changes rather than actual mutations?

Awesome find dubya. Thanks for posting, I’ll have a close read later.

Very good find! What do you guys think, would the skin be able to repair the build up damage, when PFS ends, AR returns to normal function and therefore normal collagen production returns?

1 Like

Loss of androgen signalling due to loss of function (the mutation in the study), or yet to be determined factor (PFS), should have a similar negative effect on collagen production.

They also made it a point to compare normal male to normal female skin collagen content to show that androgens themselves positively influence collagen production via the AR.

1 Like

IMHO, when normal androgen signalling is restored, we should progressively gain much of what we have lost.

Remarkable story here about a guy who went through puberty at 34 years-old after beginning TRT and gained a significant amount of masculinity that he never had in the first place. I feel as if my life is the reverse of his. And if you think about it, we are simply trying to regain what we already once had.

Even transgender people genetically determined to be male or female go through drastic physical changes by manipulating hormonal signalling.

1 Like

Well said Dubya and it’s true we do see people go through dramatic alterations. I genuinely feel like humpty dumpty, just feel fragile and i shouldn’t at 20 years of age, i was always a person who wasn’t afraid to get rough, but in a few months my body changed and i as well think with the right treatment, it can go back to what it was before or even better. Likewise for eveyone here.

The following is my own speculation, but I would agree with dubya’s posts. In my opinion, and what this scientific observation again supports, is that pretty much every symptom we experience can be tied to functioning of the androgen pathway. Severe cases have damage that is more structural and I think there’d be a need for some of us including myself to pursue some repair work afterwards. Things like chunks of tissue and teeth aren’t exactly going to reappear, but I think in general, unsilencing the androgen signal via correction of whatever is causing the persistence in overexpression would bring about a significant and rapid improvement in the affected tissues. Blackfox, a severe case who sadly committed suicide after pretty much every hormonal and alternative therapy he could try, had a few temporary recoveries messing with powerful hormonal treatments, and despite osteoporosis of the spine had told @xptriado that in his temporary improvements he felt such a recovery he even rapidly felt his back strengthening. @awor has told me of cases he’s read where temporary recoveries have seen sudden rapid muscle growth.

But it must be pointed out it’s true that if you removed any persistent disease state then the problems caused by it would largely resolve, so I don’t think saying “if PFS was turned off would we be better” tells us much…the answer is likely, aside from the bits of us actually significantly damaged, yes.

7 Likes