A new neurological entity manifesting as involuntary movements and dysarthria with possible abnormal copper metabolism

I figured Id better post this, being that we’ve seen a few abnormal copper blood/urine tests.
@kjbigman

A new neurological entity manifesting as involuntary movements and dysarthria with possible abnormal copper metabolism

urinary copper excretion was significantly reduced in all three patients

A few patients with an affected CNS involving abnormalities in copper metabolism have been described that do not fit any known nosological entities such as Wilson’s disease or Menkes’ disease.
Three sporadic patients (two men and one woman) were examined with involuntary movements and dysarthria associated with abnormal concentrations of serum copper, serum ceruloplasmin, and urinary copper excretion

the unique findings of involuntary movements, dysarthria, and abnormal serum copper and urinary copper concentrations suggest that the three patients may constitute a new clinical entity that is distinct from either Wilson’s or Menkes disease.

Also, so now you have the microbiome playing a role in metal homeostasis.

Antibiotic treatment affects the expression levels of copper transporters and the isotopic composition of copper in the colon of mice

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/13/5955

the identification of the intestinal microbiota as a significant influence on copper metabolism in the gut.

I also wanted to update this, I dont recommend supplementing copper in ^this type of scenario, or abnormal transport. Supplementing could cause more problems.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. Yes, I think supplementing copper is extremely risky for us. I think we have to figure out the problem first.

I have been seeing on other sites like the Ray Peat forum of the possibility that finasteride induces a copper “biounavailability.” So there is a possibility that we are onto something here.