7 days, finasteride 1mg

1. Where are you from (country)? UK

2. How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?) Google, searching for effects of finasteride on liver function

3. What is your current age, height, weight? 23, 6’ 3", 117kg

4. Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise? Cardio and limited resistance training

5. What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)? Balanced

6. Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)? Hair loss

7. For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)? 1 week

8. How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride? 23, 09/02/2016

9. How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit? 23, 16/02/2016

10. How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)? Cold turkey

11. What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic? Propecia

12. What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)? 1mg/day

13. How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects? None whilst using, 48 hours after quitting

14. What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Put an X beside all that apply:

Sexual
[X] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[X] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[X] Loss of Morning Erections
[X] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[X] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[X] Watery Ejaculate
[X] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[X] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[X] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[X] Testicular Pain
[X] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[X] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[X] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[X] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

1. What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug? None

2. If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

3. Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?

4. Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

Hi all,

First of all, let me acknowledge that I do not quite fit the member profile as it is early days for my finasteride problems and I hope yet to make a full recovery over the coming fortnight by staying positive, sleep and eating well and getting plenty of exercise. However, as I have kept a detailed symptom diary since my final couple of days on the drug and since cessation, I have logged details which may a) be of interest and b) some of you may be able to advise on.

I took 1mg/day of finasteride for just one week. After suffering a more severe than usual hangover from last weekend, I became worried that liver function may have been impaired and, coming to my senses about the lunacy of altering your hormonal system for the sake of not receding, made the decision to stop taking the drug. I was not having any side effects at the time other than a very slight watering down of my ejaculate.

Whilst searching for information on how DHT affects liver function, I stumbled across propeciahelp.com. Phew, I thought, I’m glad I’ve come to my sense early and can now atone for my mistake. I have taken no more doses since Tuesday, when the only real symptoms seemed to be alcohol related. I felt normal on Wednesday although still run-down from the weekend.

Returning to work on Thursday, I felt slightly rejuvenated and ready to get back to normal. However, between 10am and 11am I noticed a tingling in my perineum accompanied by the need to excrete and the feeling that my testicles were ascending slightly and my penis was shrivelling. An uncomfortable feeling of anxiety set in as I went to the toilet and noticed that my penis had indeed shrivelled. Worried, I tried to stimulate my penis and managed only a weak erection. However, convinced that this could not be related to the drug, I attributed the feeling to low blood sugar (I had barely eaten all week) and decided to ride it out with a cereal bar and cup of tea. Feeling slightly energised and less anxious, I tried not to think about the experience for the rest of Thursday and managed a good night of unbroken sleep.

Waking on Friday, I felt normal again and settled down to work, this time from home. Again, mid-morning, the tingling feeling set in, only this time more intense with more noticeable shrinkage. This time, having tried to ride it out again, I could not attribute the feeling to low blood sugar and an intense anxiety attack set in, culminating in me being stood at the reception desk at my doctors surgery in tears begging to be seen by anyone (unsuccessfully). I left the surgery and walked aimlessly for quite a distance until I eventually calmed down. On returning home I decided to tell my mother what was going on as I was beginning to get seriously worried. She reassured me and I settled down for the evening, during which my symptoms began to improve slightly (some return of colour and size to the penis, although not back to normal, some testicular descent although the loss of fullness remained). I managed two erections with stimulation and masturbated to completion but with reduced and watery ejaculate.

Yesterday (Saturday) I woke up, ate breakfast and settled down to watch the football (soccer to American members). Once again, around mid-morning, the tingling feeling set in. I noticed that I could somewhat suppress the feeling and shrinkage by squeezing my thighs very tightly together (likely just stopping blood from leaving them) and managed to suppress my anxiety. I resolved to ignore the symptoms and hit the gym later that day to get the hormones flowing. I did this, but only after noticing that the loss of fullness in my testicles seemed to be even worse than the previous day. Once again, my symptoms seemed to alleviate slightly in the evening. I again managed a full erection with stimulation but opted not to masturbate to completion as I wanted to be able to more objectively assess testicular shrinkage.

I am writing this on Sunday morning, having woken up feeling better than during the day yesterday but nowhere near 100%. I masturbated to completion but with significant loss of sensitivity and very watery, reduced ejaculate. It is approximately 10am and the tingling feeling has yet to set in. my hair appear to be blonder but I cannot accurately assess this as I had it cut yesterday.

So, that’s the story so far.

Now, some of you may have noticed that the pattern of my symptoms seems to closely follow the 24 hour testosterone cycle.

http://www.gll-getalife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/testosterone-levels-time.jpg

My theory, which I discussed off the record with a doctor this morning (I hope to see my GP for bloods tomorrow or by the end of this week at the latest) is that as my body is suffering from DHT depletion, testosterone is my only functioning androgen. Thus, my sexual performance etc. troughs when my testosterone does and recovers in the evenings and over night as my testosterone replenishes. The doctor seemed to think this was credible. Thus, if my DHT rebounds over the coming week (Friday 4th March will be day 10), all should return to normal. This is obviously the outcome that I am desperately hoping for.

However, the obvious concern here is that my symptoms only started a couple of days after cessation, raising the possibility that my DHT has already rebounded and my body has had some sort of reaction to it whereby the reproductive organs no longer respond to its effects. I am regretting going cold turkey but thought that, as I’d only been on for a week, it would be better to just have the drug out of my system as soon as possible.

If anyone here has had a similar experience or has any constructive advice for me please do get in touch. I am determined to give myself the best chance of beating this that I possibly can. The early stages are no doubt crucial.

Things have moved rapidly since my first post.

On Sunday, after making my original post, the characteristic mid morning crash failed to materialise and I felt some slight improvement around lunchtime accompanied by mild tingling in the scalp. I went to the gym in the early evening before beginning to wind down for bed.

Shortly before 2100, I experienced a hot flush accompanied by a significant increase in heart rate, a tingling scalp and a burst of energy. It was incredibly intense, so much so that I became worried that my body may be producing too much DHT. I took a long walk and a bath to calm down and got to sleep around 0100.

On Monday I woke up with the tingling still present in my scalp. My genitals had returned to full size and fullness and I had a semi-erection. I went to see a doctor as planned, told him my story and expressed my concern that while I was feeling better I was concerned about a future crash and requested bloods, which he insisted weren’t neccessary. He told me that I should get rest, exercise and eat well and wait for my body to reequilibrate. He said to call back if I had any further problems. The rest of Monday passed without incident and I had an intense gym session in the evening. I got a good night’s sleep.

On Tuesday, I woke up feeling completely normal other than a slightly dry/itchy scalp. Around lunchtime, my balls were bursting so I masturbated. My ejaculate was thick and powerful. Shortly after this I went to the gym and had an intense cardio session.

What followed is extremely worrying. On returning from the gym, I showered and was preparing my evening meal when my perineum and testes began to tingle. I stood in front of the mirror and watched the fullness leave my scrotum and my genitals shrivel. Back to where I was prior to Sunday’s recovery all in the space of about 5 minutes.

I originally thought that by masturbating I had released DHT from the prostate into the blood stream and then burnt it all by doing intense cardio. I therefore expected gradual recovery the next day as more DHT was synthesised. However, I have seen no improvement in the 48hrs following this crash and am returning to the doctors tomorrow. The characteristic pattern of mid morning dips has not returned but I do seem to be at my lowest ebb around 1800.

Should I now be seriously worried? What do I need to insist that the doctor does next?

Please somebody help me out!

Hi Well as far as the doctor you tell him to read all the warnings and information out there. You insist on the tests as you are a UK citizen and want them period. Also you may give him my doctors number as he has been very supportive with my condition (PM for info.)
As for your recovery stop masturbating in all posts that is the one thing that induces bad symptoms and you should also limit exercise. just rest sleep and eat well no drinking period if i was you.
You do not want to end up like me 7 years in hell.
You seem to be in tune with your body just listen to it.

Good Luck

Thanks for the response Gazzaa, I’ve sent you a private message.

UPDATE:

Following my crash on 02/03/2016, little has changed other than the emergence of bloodshot/dry eyes. It looks like I’m suffering from hay fever but without the sneezing or the high pollen count. Never experienced this before, I’ve actually had to buy some Vitamin A+E eye drops to alleviate the symptoms. They don’t improve overnight. I’ve also had an increase in floaters. I’m aware that all of this has been related to androgen deficiency in peer reviewed literature. Spots have also completely dried up. I have not recovered any of my sexual function and I have not settled into a pattern of mid-morning energy drops as I had when the drug was still in my system. I am instead quite fatigued all day.

Interestingly, bloodshot eyes were what made me stop taking Propecia in the first place, which I had attributed at the time to decreased liver function. Blood tests taken on 26/02/2016 confirmed normal liver function and they also, by chance, tested for testosterone. I had more bloods done on 07/03/2016, so I at least have two numbers to compare (although I’m not sure of the units). Can anyone add some interpretation?

26/02/2016, 9am:

Total testosterone = 14.3 “Normal” according to the doctor.

07/03/2016, 9am:

Total testosterone = 8.4 “Normal” according to the doctor. After some probing, he admitted that it’s actually the very bottom of the “normal” range. I also pointed out that it represents a 40% drop in peak testosterone over 10 days.

LH = 8.5 “high normal”

FSH = 7.8 “mid normal”

Cortisol = 537

The doctor did at least seem more receptive to the idea that something unusual might be going on and he hinted that he’s been in discussions with some of his colleagues at the clinic. The main reason for their scepticism seems to be that they don’t trust anything that starts to gain attention at the same time as litigation attempts in America.

I had similar crashes 2,5 years ago. Crashes can be avoided by avoiding carbohydrates, sex and aerobic sports. Hope you learn to control them. I am 75% recovered now.

what did your dr say about Cortisol = 537?

Spstriken,

My doctor said nothing re. cortisol. Do you have any comments about it? I have quickly come to realise that general practitioners know very little about endocrinology. I’ve actually been forced to compose a letter explaining why such low T concentrations are not normal for a 23yo male.

Never again,

I’ve been taking a look at your member story and I’d be very interested to hear more from you re. your experiences of what works and what doesn’t. Yours is definitely one of the more encouraging stories on the board and like you, my gut feeling is also that my body can make improvements if I help it along. Out of interest, do you buy into any of the theories about what causes our ED? I want to believe the autoimmune theory but I think that’s at least partly because a cure to autoimmune conditions seems achievable.

I have experienced something of an improvement over the past week. Libido has been at its highest since the crash and ejaculate seems less watery, whilst my skin and eyes are slightly less dry. The symptoms that I haven’t seen any improvement in are that my scrotum has yet to regain its fullness and I still don’t get morning/spontaneous erections. Improvements have come as a surprise because I’ve been living a rather unhealthy lifestyle over this period. I’ve been avoiding exercise, drinking alcohol quite regularly and taking less care with my diet. I’m not sure which, if any of these variables has caused a change but I am about to go for a gym session so I will make a note of what effect that has.

Bloods, 21/03/2016

T = 9.8 nmol/L
Prolactin = 176 (ng/L?)

I’ve made a conscious effort not to update this for a while as fixating was causing me a lot of unwanted stress. Here is a brief summary of significant events since I last posted, including a brief summary of a positive meeting with an endocrinologist:

I was really not in a good way throughout April. The worst part was an episode of persistent headaches, which started following a gym session and lasted almost 3 weeks. It was accompanied by elevated blood pressure. On visiting my local walk-in GP service, I was referred to hospital to rule out a bleed on the brain. The doctor did comment whilst examining me on how firm my eyeballs were, which sounded right to me as the headaches felt like intracranial/intraocular pressure. It was diagnosed as a migraine but a 1 week course of naproxen only served to make me feel slightly spaced out whilst the headaches persisted. The headaches eventually subsided on their own and I never got to the bottom of what had caused them.

For the final 3 weeks of May, I was working outdoors an was fortunate enough to encounter sunny weather for pretty much the entire 3 weeks. On the back of this, some of my symptoms seem to have improved slightly. My skin is slightly less dry/more oily, fatigue is not quite as bad as it was and whilst erectile dysfunction and the ‘empty’ scrotum persists, there is much less fluctuation in the state of my genitalia. Ejaculate is still watery but more powerful and volume has improved a bit.

The part that you will all be interested in hearing, is that today I had my first appointment with an endocrinologist. After essentially being accused of hypochondria by several GPs I went prepared for a battle in trying to convince him that my problems are due to finasteride use. After a long discussion about my symptoms etc. and without me using the term ‘post-finasteride syndrome’ at any point, he said “you are suffering from the finasteride syndrome”. What a relief. He then explained that the mechanism is not known and that established forms of treatment will not be suitable. He booked me in for a day of tests at the start of July “so we can prove that there is no other possible cause”. Naturally, I will provide updates as things progress.

1 Like

Obviously No updates then which is a real shame .

You might be better off sending a pm so the guy gets an email notification.

Cheers Greek will give it a shot mate
Would be good to hear the outcome

If you click on his name you can see when he last visited the forum (2 years ago) so you may not get an answer. I agree though, it would be good if people would check in from time to time to keep us updated.