I’ve always wanted to compile a list of things that have helped me on my journey, but also mention the things that have set me back. My problems came from taking Accutane/Roaccutane, so this compilation might be more appropriate for isotretinoin sufferers. Nevertheless, this is purely anecdotal and shows what I have experienced on my path to recovery.
- Heavy Lifting and staying in decent shape
- Keep moving! Long walks and minimal high intensity cardio
- Maintaining an active social life (your friends are very important, especially close ones)
- Setting goals and achieving them (not everything is about sex, re-focus!)
- Helping other people with their issues has helped me find purpose in my life
- Doing things that I wanted to do before PAS (hobby, travel etc.)
- Staying inside all day and coming on this forum way too much
- Avoiding social life and being cold towards people has left me more depressed
- Avoiding nature and the sun is always a bad idea
- Excessive masturbation and porn, yes these are the devil
- Being around negative people sucks the energy out of me, leave them!
- Trying to find “the cure”, this might be the worst thing I have done…spending hours on end trying to research this syndrome and never getting anywhere (don’t totally ignore your condition but accept it and move ahead!)
- Believing in yourself and knowing that you are the best (might seem a bit egotistical but it has helped get through the toughest times)
- Realise that what we have been through and the fact that we are still fighting, shows that we are way stronger than we believe…own it!
- DO NOT compare yourself to others, ever…you are on your own path my friend
- Take any “cure” with a grain of salt and think carefully before you start any regimen
- ACCEPTANCE: This has helped me the most. I have accepted myself fully and transparently, this condition has caused so much hurt in my life but it’s real. Once you are able to accept yourself for who you are…nothing will stand in your way.
+HUMOR: I used to be a happy and charismatic guy…that faded away for a few years, but I forced myself to try and have a laugh in a while, enjoy the moment and stop obsessing over your condition, make fun of yourself again!
- MINDFULNESS: Live in the moment and be aware of your surroundings…has helped calm my anxiety and over-thinking
- LOVE: yes yes very cheesy, but love is the most powerful thing in my experience…love your friends, love your family, love your GF…love whoever you want and make sure you receive it back.
- DEEP STOMACH BREATHING: One of my staples, calms the mind and brings oxygen into your blood (research this)
- Lean Organic Meats (cooked and raw)
- Eggs and raw egg yolks (great for brain fog)
- Minimal veggies and fruits ( a hand full every day)
- SORGHUM PORRIDGE (Mix one cup with 3 cups of water, bring to a boil and then stir for 5 minutes on medium heat, add honey and milk on top) (DHT activation)
- High carbs such as Pasta and Potatoes (bread and wraps not so much)
- Maintain electrolyte balance (Mix salt/lemon in warm water in the morning)
- Sugar Free Red Bull (sometimes) - incredible mental and libido boost for me
- Nicotine (sometimes) - when I smoke or take a snus (swedish oral tobacco) I have a clear mind and libido boost (not advised because of obvious reasons)
- Alcohol (in moderation) - it’s weird but everytime I drink on a night out (student)…I have morning erections and good libido the next day?
- Jojoba Oil (not diet) Great as a body moisturiser for those struggling with dry skin
- any plant oils in excess (always crashed me in the past)
- Coconut Oil (crashed me hard for 2 weeks)
- DHT inhibiting foods - stay away!
- Soy based products (Tofu and Soy Sauce)
- Oily fish - Tuna crashed me / Salmon is ok (in moderation)
- Junk Food (Fast Foods are mostly cooked in plant oils!)
- Processed Starches and meats
- Plant Milks (Oat, Soy and Almond Milk are overly processed)
- High Vitamin A foods are not optimal for PAS victims
- Vitamin K1 (still great for erections and clearing arteries of calcification)
- L-citrulline and L-arginine are still my staples for erections (in combination with Viagra)
- Tongkat Ali good for mental sharpness and alertness (no libido boost)
- Low Dose Vitamin D (1000iu) great for mental and hormones
- Magnesium (sleeping aid)
- Niacin (B3) helped me out of a lot of crashes (fights over-methylation) (500mg)
*DO NOT BOMBARD YOUR SYSTEM WITH SUPPS, KEEP IT MINIMAL
- Methyl B12 (terrible crash and dead penis)
- Vitamin A (lost sensitivity in penis for a few weeks)
- High B Vitamins (will throw others of balance) (Niacin is an exception)
- High dose Zinc (5AR inhibitor)
- Ginko, Tribulus, Butea Superba did nothing for me personally
- L-Dopa did nothing
- High Dose Vitamin E
- Red Ginseng crashed me temporarily
- P5P (Vitamin B6) crashed me hard
- High Dose Vitamin D (crashed when I took 150,000 iu at once, very stupid)
- Any Methyl-Donors
- 5HTP (spikes Seretonin)
- High Dose Fish Oil (eliminated my morning erections)
I have reached a point where I am happy and content with my life. Mentally I’m at 100% and arguably better than before starting Accutane. I have learnt so much throughout this journey and carry these lessons with me. I am confident, calm and collected and just finished my first year at university. My social life has never been more active and I spend time with people who love me for me. Woman show interest in me and I’ve realised that when you’re in a natural environment, libido does return. I’m having very satisfying sex again - with the help of learning how to please a woman without my dick for once. Sometimes my erections are weak - but it goes away - sometimes my libido is lower - but who gives a fuck. I have learnt that this condition fluctuates a lot, you will feel better and then worse (just like life to be honest). I’ve learnt to be comfortable with the man I am today and with that have never felt better. My supplement regimen and diet help a lot and keep me in balance. My dick works again, not like pre PAS, but I’m happy with that big fellas performance.
Get off this platform for once, take a break, take care of yourself and pursue something bigger! My goal is to be successful within my career and reach a level where I can potentially fund research for this condition…that would honestly fulfil me in the most profound way possible.
Mental Health IMO is the MOST IMPORTANT thing to have in this fight and I have reached a level where I can honestly say that I’m healing.