6-7 Months no Side Effects--Until I Stopped

Where are you from (country)?
USA

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
Other

What is your current age, height, weight?
33, 6’5’’, 195lbs

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?
Finasteride

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
1 mg/day

What condition was being treated with the drug?
Hair Loss

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?
6-7 months, some days missed

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug?

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
Cold Turkey

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?
Never, only once quitting

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
Had no side effects during use

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[x] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[x] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[x] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[x] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[x] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[x] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[x] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[x] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[x] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[x] Muscle Wastage
[x] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[x] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[x] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[x] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
Natural herbs and supplements

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

After debating about it for months, and with my hair beginning to fall out in clumps, I decided it was worth it to try finasteride for just a few doses to see if I had any side effects. I considered the odds were in my favor, and even if I noticed something I could immediately stop.

I was delighted to see that I had absolutely zero side effects after weeks of usage. A very minor tingling sensation in the prostate area is all I can remember, which I just denounced as nothing to worry about or fabricated in my head.

Since I had no side effects, I kept taking Finasteride for about 6-7 months. There were many days were I did not take the dose. Either I would forget, or the nagging feeling in the back of my head about not trusting big pharma would win and I would skip. My hair had stopped falling out, and it appeared Finasteride was working perfectly.

However, considering the events of 2020 and what’s going on now, that feeling about not trusting big pharma eventually won. In a fit of rage I said fuck the hair, and I threw out the rest of the Finasteride.

That was about 2 months ago, maybe slightly less. I didn’t think anything of it until I had indigestion after eating wild Alaskan salmon. My gut has always been an invincible beast, and I’ve never had problems eating the salmon before. It was a red flag, but I didn’t think about Finasteride until the next morning when I woke up in a completely depressed state with zero libido.

It’s probably food poisoning I said to myself.

No, here it is days later and I have no libido (which used to be off the charts), no drive, and no energy. I was never in amazing shape, so lack of exercise could be to blame. With how sudden this came on though, having never felt this way before, my gut instinct is telling me I should never have taken Finasteride.

2 Likes

I’m not following. You quit 2 months ago and then noticed side effects? You got side effects 2 months after quitting?

Are you considering going back on it since you ad no issues taking it?

6-7 Months no Side Effects–Until I Stopped

If you had no side effects whatsoever during 6-7 months, why exactly did you stop?

Concern ultimately got me to quit. Even though I did not have side effects, that could have changed had I continued using Finasteride for years. Big-pharma is not to be trusted, and I was needlessly ingesting poison just to keep my stupid hair.

After reading some of the terrible things other members here have gone through, and my own experience having quit, I made the right decision.

No, I will never take Finasteride again.

2 Likes

How is your libido now?

Seems to fluctuate massively. For a few days, I thought I was cured, but now I feel dead again.
I am taking some supplements. Next I will try removing those one at a time to see if they are causing problems.

Hey man. I had similar experience as you. I took the drug 1mg daily for about a year and had no issues while on the drug. Sometimes my libido felt even greater and I was horny all the time on the drug. It felt wierd because when I forgot taking the drug I felt less libido and tired. This freaked me out eventually when I also read about PFS so I decided to stop completely and thats when all bad things started. First weeks after my dick felt numb and I had really low sensation. My balls hurt and I had watery ejaculate. the following days/weeks my symptoms improved slightly. My balls dont hurt anymore, but I’m not the same as before I stared. sensation is not 100% more like 80% and the ejaculate volume is lower than it used to be. I also started to get rashes on my arms/legs and around my waist. I feel tired all the time and I dont get exicited by sex. Feels a bit like im living in a nightmare. I dont want to do anything and I have to push myself to do stuff I normally enjoy like exercise. I’ve gained around 20 pounds and I used to be a slim guy…

Anyways I just wanted to share my experience. How are you doing at the moment?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you have it worse than I do, but it seems similar. No rashes at all for me, but I can relate to having less sensation in the dick. 80-85% is a good estimate.

Having studied myself for many weeks now, I’m convinced the ED and lack of libido is based on neurotransmitter imbalances. When my mood is good, the libido is nearly back to normal, but when my mood is down and depressed (which seems to be more common since finasteride) the libido plummets. Perhaps this normal, and I just notice it more now.

I’m a regular user of psychedelics, and I can say certain combinations send my libido through the roof. One session of LSD + 2C-B granted me four intense orgasms over the course of 35 mins, with a rock hard erection the entire time. The only thing that stopped me was running out of semen. My point is, clearly the system still works when flooded with neurotransmitters (or substances that mimic them).

The classic supplements have helped slightly, l-arginine, horny goat weed, l-dopa, etc. Nofap is more beneficial now. Whereas before I could have a decent intense orgasm every night, now it seems like I must hold off for at least 4-5 days.

I have noticed it’s good to not focus on PFS. In fact, do everything in your power to convince yourself you don’t have it. For myself, I don’t think finasteride causes ED. I think it messes with your hormones and thus the regulation of neurotransmitters. My next experiments are going to be finding supplements that boost DHT and testosterone. If shutting off DHT production causes this, then maybe it can be restored.

2 Likes

From what I’ve read from other posts as well as talking to some of the members, you still have a good chance of recovery. For most people, sexual side effects are the most difficult to recover from whereas mental sides usually go away with time. I wouldn’t resort to any kind of supplement right now and work on light exercises if you can (I know you listed muscle wastage as a symptom so just do what you can, certainly don’t overdo it).

The most important thing you need to do right now is to keep your mind straight. A lot of your mental sides could very well be just from shock of these symptoms, causing you major anxiety and depression. The mind is very powerful agent. If you let your mind do the talking, your mind will get to you before anything else. I’ve been suffering anxiety/depression for the past weeks as well (never had depression before in my life) and I’m planning to seek professional help soon. If you can afford it, I definitely would seek help to take back control of your life to have a better mindset that you can recover and you will.

I’m not giving you false hope, I’m basing this off of what everyone else has told me and I’m holding on to those ideas. The people who have real PFS are an unfortunate few. Both of us have good chances right now and we can’t give up just yet. Think about now rather than the future. What can you do now? Symptoms tend to not improve immediately, and recovery can become a zig-zag. Just give it time and don’t stress, I know it’s easier said than done but really work on taking back your mind before it eats you up.

I believe you will get better; your timeline isn’t well defined but I’ve talked to people who have almost given up hope but recovered almost overnight. There are people who no longer exist in these forums because they don’t bother coming back having recovered (I know because I’ve seen them post on different forums). It’s a really sad place to be here and maybe taking time away will do you some good, but definitely keep us updated on your journey, my friend.