5-azacytidine (5-Aza) and Trichostatin A (TSA) reverse gene silencing

I wanted to share some articles I found that may be good for discussion.

Stem Cell Research Paves Way for Progress On Dealing With Fragile X
sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120522084524.htm

Histone deacetylase inhibitor Trichostatin A induces global and gene-specific DNA demethylation in human cancer cell lines.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17276411

5-Aza is approved by the FDA as Vidaza

“Trichostatin A (TSA) is an organic compound that serves as an antifungal antibiotic and selectively inhibits the class I and II mammalian histone deacetylase (HDAC) families of enzymes, but not class III HDACs (i.e., Sirtuins)[1].”

I agree this is very interesting stuff… only thing is that “Science Daily” seems to advertise alot of stem cell therapy providers so they could be over selling this a bit. Anyone have a link to the full paper or know if it is considered a top tier publication that is peer reviewed?

I don’t know if you guys have seen this, but it is very interesting as it pertains somewhat to out condition. jbc.org/content/early/2002/0 … 0.full.pdf

How safe are these substances ?

5-AZA is a chemo drug for cancer. Side effects are the classic chemo ones and it will lower your immunity. Dangerous to use without supervision.

Trichostatin is an HDAC inhibitor in the statin class that has given people PFS-like symptoms.

I would say they’re both unsafe, with 5-AZA being way more potent and side effect loaded. I’m sure others may have different opinions on the safety of statins, though.

Anyone ever tried 5-aza?

1 Like