4 French articles on Propecia's persistent side effects

3 articles from “Le Parisien”, one of France’s biggest newspapers, and one from Europe 1.

[Size=4]The disturbing effects of an anti-baldness drug [/size]
Intended to fight against hair loss, Propecia is proving to be the cause of many cases of male impotence. Victims begin to mobilize.

[b]ORIGINAL: leparisien.fr/societe/les-effets-inquietants-d-un-medicament-anticalvitie-10-03-2012-1899023.php

GOOGLE TRANSLATION:
translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/les-effets-inquietants-d-un-medicament-anticalvitie-10-03-2012-1899023.php&usg=ALkJrhhfiHUwn0J2Ib6IyUHItI6N9uIBEg
[/b]

NICOLAS JACQUARD | Published 03/10/2012, 11:53

Nearly 32,000 French were prescribed Propecia or its generic in 2010 to fight against baldness. Today there are hundreds to complain of sexual function disorders.

It was the miracle pill: one tablet daily to slow down male pattern baldness, prescribed in 2010 to nearly 32,000 French. Alas, for some, Propecia, generic and its promise of strong hair has turned into a nightmare. They are now hundreds to complain about the serious consequences of their treatment, primarily for disorders of sexual function.

One possibility mentioned in the list of side effects of this drug, but it was initially believed that she was fully reversible. Evidence accumulated over the last three years have shown, however, contrast, and led the laboratory Merck Sharp & Dohme (MSD) to amend its notice, stating that about “1% of patients experiencing erectile dysfunction,” and recognizing especially since they may persist after treatment.

Court cases in the U.S., enhanced surveillance of Propecia in France

Yet there are many today to be alarmed. These men say they suffer from an almost total impotence, they attributed without hesitation to finasteride, the active ingredient in Propecia, which has the effect of blocking the action of the male hormone, testosterone. “As a result, some end up with a testosterone level equivalent to that of men 80 years,” describes Mike, an American who founded the primary forum for victims, Propeciahelp, website reference on the subject.

It is from these data that several scholars have addressed the problem. And their analyzes are chilling. “Finasteride can fundamentally change the hormonal chemistry of the brain”, asserts Michael Irwig from George Washington University, author of a study for the very serious “Journal of Sexual Medicine.”

Already, hundreds of victims in the United States turned to the courts. A hearing will say, in the end, if all these procedures will be consolidated at a federal judge.

In Europe, Afssaps reveals that Propecia is subject to increased surveillance, and marketing could be challenged in 2013. “For me, most of the disorders is transient”, trusts Professor Bernard Debre. But because of his role on hormones, I strongly recommend this drug, especially for use “aesthetic”. "Others carry out his prescription. “I proposed to a dozen patients a day. All side effects were reversible”, keeps the dermatologist Reygagne Pascal.

"Among those who suffer from these effects, it is unclear how many will be powerless to life, however denounces this endocrinologist Paris on condition of anonymity. I see more and more in my closet. These young men, lifers not to have a sex life for a matter of hair … "

Contacted, MSD says he is “confident in the quality of Propecia and scientific studies that helped develop it,” without answering more detailed questions.

===============

[Size=4]Propecia reassessed this year[/size]

[b]ORIGINAL: leparisien.fr/societe/le-propecia-reevalue-des-cette-annee-10-03-2012-1899017.php

GOOGLE TRANSLATION: translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/le-propecia-reevalue-des-cette-annee-10-03-2012-1899017.php&usg=ALkJrhgmSmqhJ3sDu3ZPtKCfBH4ufFsG3g[/b]

NJ | Published on 10.03.2012, 11:47

Asked about Propecia, Afssaps, the French Agency for Safety Products Health Health , reveals that the drug and its active ingredient, finasteride, have been placed under “enhanced surveillance”. Yet, even as other medicines monitored are listed on the site Internet agency, Propecia is not there.

“The EU regulation does not require it,” defends the press service of Afssaps, which confirms that "in the application file authorization on the market (AMM) Propecia, clinical studies laboratory had revealed sexual side effects - decreased libido, erectile dysfunction or ejaculation - usually transient and reversible upon discontinuation of treatment. "

Victims invited to come forward

It was during the renewal of the same MA, in 2008, that new “post-marketing data and a clinical study have reported cases of erectile dysfunction” which this time were “persistent”. In the process, several measures have been taken. First, the fact that side effects could persist has been added on the product label. Then, when the marketing authorization of Propecia was reviewed in 2008, it was granted as a precaution for a temporary period of five years, “which is quite exceptional,” admits one to Afssaps.

Consequence: Propecia is again evaluated in 2013. A process that will start after year debt. Besides the “enhanced surveillance” throughout Europe, Propecia is also the subject of “a risk management plan.” AFSSAPS still wants reassuring, noting that without thorough examination, it is not possible to establish with certainty the existence of a link between the drug and these disorders, which are “poorly documented”.

And for good reason: nothing seems done at national level for them to be a little more, even if Afssaps invites “individuals who have experienced side effects to know directly” on their website.

====================

[Size=4]Karim: “It was immediate, as if I was chemically castrated”[/size]

[b]ORIGINAL: leparisien.fr/societe/karim-ca-a-ete-immediat-comme-si-j-etais-castre-chimiquement-10-03-2012-1899021.php

GOOGLE TRANSLATION: translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/karim-ca-a-ete-immediat-comme-si-j-etais-castre-chimiquement-10-03-2012-1899021.php&usg=ALkJrhjDS3oSTJPquidkeIJ5qHM5JILu4A
[/b]

They are ashamed. That of dealing with intimate questions. But especially for having lied to themselves, minimizing the risks of Propecia on their health for aesthetic considerations.

“I was desperate to keep my hair, sighs William*. Today I am angry against the lab and against myself.”

“Treatment with Propecia in mid-2007 to late 2009, a biologist said I suffer from a” post-finasteride syndrome ", the active drug. "Suddenly, in June 2009, I became completely impotent. “It still is today. An illness accompanied by severe depression.”

“There are a bunch of physical symptoms, sexual and psychological,” says the thirty, who shared his experience on the Internet . “I thought being alone, and I found dozens of similar cases, all told as if the thread of my life!”

Karim, 29, says he too no longer have sex. "I was obsessed with my image, he sighs. I took Propecia two months in 2009. It was immediate. Like I was chemically castrated. Definitely. "

Side effects not always reversible

A physical problem that resulted in this Francilien by "mourning of all social life. I can never get married or have children. I do not know what will become of me. All because of a common drug that acted on me like a poison. " While for most patients treated with Propecia, side effects are reversible, they persist in a minority of them. “I wonder if we did not have certain genetic predispositions” asks Jacques, 32.

For all those, no remedy seems to work. “It’s like some nerves had stopped working”, analyzes the sexologist Ronald Virag, following fifteen victims. “I felt a gradual desensitization of sex,” recalls Eric, 36, an executive in the public service. "I was lucky enough to know a real sex life, he notes. But those of us who suffer from these symptoms at age 20 did not even have had. "

• All names have been changed.

======================

[Size=4]An anti-baldness concerned[/size]

[b]ORIGINAL: europe1.fr/France/Un-traitement-anti-calvitie-inquiete-983671/

GOOGLE TRANSLATION: translate.google.ca/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.europe1.fr%2FFrance%2FUn-traitement-anti-calvitie-inquiete-983671%2F&act=url[/b]

By Wendy Bouchard and Europe1.fr with AFP
Published March 10, 2012 at 15:58 Updated March 10, 2012 at 17:08

Propecia can cause impotence and in some cases, side effects are irreversible.

The risk was known and described in the instructions of Propecia. Yet presented as miracle drug prescribed to fight against baldness can cause impotence. But while the doctors thought the reversible side effects, many patient complaints suggest the opposite.

A molecule that blocks testosterone

Around 32,000 French were prescribed Propecia in 2010, Le Parisien said . Its active molecule, finasteride, has the effect of blocking the action of the male hormone testosterone, which promotes baldness in men who are subjects. But by blocking testosterone, finasteride may cause a sharp drop in libido.

Desgrandchamps Francis, professor of urology at the Hospital Saint Louis, is not surprised by this announcement. "The urologists use this molecule, in higher doses, for years to treat [hypertrophy] prostate and it was an actual risk of loss of libido and impotence. But so far, it was considered be reversible, "he says on Europe 1.

“The number of complaints should be taken seriously”

But according to this expert, “the large number of spontaneous complaints of patients has scientific merit and I think we must warn patients and discontinue this treatment.” “The number of complaints should be taken seriously,” insists Professor Desgrandchamps.

Moreover, finasteride would be other “various effects on the risk of prostate cancer,” says Professor Desgrandschamps. “What is true to 4mg (the dosage provided in the treatment of enlarged prostate, ed) is to be 1mg Propecia So, without anyone knowing,” warns the doctor.

Evaluate the benefit to risk

For its part, the French Drug Agency (Afssaps) relativizes. Its director general, Professor Philip Maraninchi ensures that side effects are reversible after cessation of treatment. For him, this case is “typical of the relation risk / benefit” that each patient must be measured, without underestimating the risk side.

Things moved pretty fast after that. Blase JG and Claro have been contacted by the biggest national french TV channel and got interviewed yesterday. Their interview got broadcasted on french national news on that channel (TF1), the TV news shows with the most audience in France, yesterday nightt! I would have been with them had I lived in Paris.

Venceremos, could you translate the articles? The ones above are hard to read.