3 Years & 21 Supplements Later

Hello everyone, since 2016 when I finally was able to pinpoint finasteride as the cause of my illusive health issues I like most here have been using trial and error with supplements/drugs in an attempt to make life tolerable again. Below I’ve made a list of everything I’ve tried since and what effect (if any) it has had on my body/mind.

Note: I do not have the sexual side effects that many here do, my problems are on the physical/mental side only (e.g. extreme fatigue, memory loss, brain fog, testicle pain, eye issues and so on)

Tribulus Terrestris

• Dosage: 250mg
    Result: This was the first supplement I tried and I bought a very cheap low quality brand not knowing that not all Tribulus is made equally so perhaps unsurprisingly this had no notable effect. I’m currently awaiting a Vemoherb order to give this another try.

Creatine Monohydrate

• Dosage: 2g
    Result: ‘Crashed’ me quite hard, testicle pain intensified and almost all symptoms became worse. Also worth mentioning I was a regular user of creatine for 5+ years during my gym days before I ever took finasteride and had no issues whatsoever.

Pine Pollen Extract Tincture

• Dosage: Various
    Result: No notable effect.

Bacopa Monnieri

• Dosage: 500-1000mg
    Result: Small but significant memory improvement for the first few months but effect has diminished since.

Inositol

• Dosage: 2-4g

Omega 3 Fish Oil

• Dosage: 800mg EPA/400mg DPA
    Result: No effect on PFS, slight relief from depression.

Curcumin

• Dosage: 665mg

Phosphatidylserine

• Dosage: 100-200mg
    Result: No notable effect, sleep issues if taken at night.

ZMA

• Dosage: M450mg, Z30mg, B611mg
    Result: A little better sleep, slight depression relief.

Zeaxanthin/Lutein

• Dosage: 30mg
    Result: Taken for eye/visual problems but unfortunately no notable effect.

Thea Thealoz Duo Eye Drops

• Dosage: N/A
    Result: Taken in an attempt to relieve dry eye symptoms, somewhat works but vision issues persist.

Phenibut

• Dosage: 250-500mg
    Result: Very mild relief from fatigue, considering trying again with higher dosage.

Vitamin D3

• Dosage: 10,000IU
    Result: Although early blood tests showed a vitamin D deficiency once corrected through supplementation I didn’t notice any difference.

Pregnenolone

• Dosage: 100-200mg
    Result: Started this week but have been really dizzy on it, think the dose is too high so coming down.

Glycine

• Dosage: 3g
    Result: Taken to help with sleep issues but didn’t seem to have any effect.

Huperzine A

• Dosage: 100mg
    Result: Bad headaches.

CoQ10

• Dosage: 200mg

5HTP

• Dosage: 200mg

Pumpkin Seed Oil

• Dosage: 1000mg
    Result: I use this strictly to get rid of testicle pain and it usually works. Be warned some users have reported crashing on this.

DHEA

• Dosage: 50-100mg
    Result: Occasional increase in testicle pain but no improvements.

Ginkgo Biloba

• Dosage: 6000mg eq
    Result: Only taken for about 2 weeks so far but no changes to note.

Modafinil

• Dosage: 50-200mg
    Result: Saved the best for last - I started taking Modafinil (Modalert) and an anti-estrogen/cortisol control supplement called Nolvadren XT on the same day towards the end of last year, what followed (after a day or two) was the closest thing I’ve had to a recovery since all of this PFS stuff began. This was an 80-90% improvement in all symptoms - brain fog almost gone, fatigue lifted, energy back, and so on. So what happened? Well, all this lasted for about a week and then for whatever reason I gradually started returning to full PFS mode despite continuing to take both supplements. I doubled the Modafinil from 100mg to 200mg, still nothing - I doubled the dosage of the Nolvadren yet still it wouldn’t work like it did the first time. I cycled them both and still nothing although I will say this - Modafinil does help your mind feel sharper and can provide some relief albeit usually as the expense of very bad headaches; if you are to try it then I recommend 50mg 2x a day which should be enough to provide the desired effect but avoid the headaches.

I thought I would share my experiences with these supplements in an attempt to help out others looking for feedback into potential remedies.

4 Likes

Hey man - good job with the documentation. I know many of us appreciate it. Question for you - what are eye/visual symptoms?

Eye symptoms include

• Inability to focus anywhere near as before
  • Dry eyes
  • The skin around both outer corners of my eyes has discoloured
  • Left eyelid spasms/twitches
  • Side of face spasms on both sides
  • Pressure behind the eyes

I also developed ptosis on one eye shortly after using fin but can’t say if that’s related.

No eye relief at all? I have eye issues too

Unfortunately not, the drops I listed help a little but not all that much. I had an eye exam about 5 months ago with an ophthalmologist but everything looked normal, 20/20 vision.

Have you seen an optometrist for the ptosis or been diagnosed by one with it? Is a pupil bigger than the other by any chance?

The dry eye might have meibomian gland or lacrimal gland origins. They’re both under partial control of androgens. I recommend daily warm compresses for 15 minutes for the dryness. Use systane complete or an artificial tear with omega 3s. Visine will dry you out and cause rebound redness.

Your first bullet is the worst for me

That’s a really high pregnenolone dose you tried. I take the 10mg micronized one from pure encapsulations and it makes me feel like I railed a line of cocaine

maybe you try tryrosine, 5htp and ldopa. And ketogenic diet