23andMe Test and Cystic Fibrosis Gene

Hi all.

Have any of you who have had the 23andMe test performed found you were a carrier of Cystic Fibrosis?

Short story:

3/3 sufferers of Accutane related sexual dysfunction and depression were found to be a carrier of a Cystic Fibrosis mutation. There is only about a 1/15,000 chance of 3 random people all being carriers.

I spoke with the mother of a 4th Accutane victim who suffered from severe and long term depression who, without any prompting from me, mentioned that her son’s side effects were a bit better now, but he carries two different mutations of the CF gene and now suffers from complications of Cystic Fibrosis on top of Accutane side effects.

I know that 3 of us have the DeltaF508 mutation. I lost contact with one of the people who had the test done, but it is likely he also has the DeltaF508 mutation because it is the most common by far.

The chances of 4/4 randomly chosen people being carriers are somewhere around 1/400,000. It may be a coincidence, but seems like something worth looking into IMHO.

The mother of the fourth victim is also a doctor and has a bit of background in genetics. We were discussing how unlikely it would be that Cystic Fibrosis would have anything to do with side effects since the mutated copy of the gene is typically shut down when you have one good copy.
She mentioned the possibility that another gene which IS involved in development of side effects could be copied alongside the CF mutation.

This may be coincidence, the test may have been throwing false positives, this may be something effecting only retinoid (Accutane) metabolism and have nothing to do with PFS itself, or it may be significant.

Additionally, I should say there was one sufferer of Saw Palmetto side effects who said a CF mutation did not show up on his 23andMe test.

Also, if you did have the 23andMe test performed and found you WERE NOT a carrier of a CF mutation, could you say so please? That would also be a big help.

Thank you.

While interesting, this isn’t an accutane forum. Finasteride and accutane have different mechanisms of action.

I always been thinking accutane and Fin, both are 5 AR inhibitors. Could you give soem scientific proof how both are different?

Dubya,

Can you explain how to look for this please. I’ve got my raw data, but since 23andme can’t provide the health assessment at this time I don’t know what to look for. I found Genetic Genie which provides a methylation and detox profile, but I’m still trying to decipher what it all means.

Cystic Fibrosis is associated with reduced glutathione. That could be a link.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8125859

Got mine today will test and let you know (if still interested it’s been a while lol)

Yeah, let it be known if you have the CF mutation. The more I thought about this, the more it seemed like we were getting excited over 5 people having 1 irrelevant thing in common out of thousands. Like being amazed to speak with 5 people in a row who had a green toothbrush.

Still, it would be interesting to know if there are more of us with this mutation.

I didn’t have it…this is very difficult because you are kinda working backwards without a target for pfs…like finding a needle in a haystack…but once it is found years down the road there could be tests to determine if you could take finasteride safely but even then knowing what I know now I wouldn’t risk it…

Were you accutane though ?