11 Year User of Propecia and Avodart

1. Where are you from (country)?
    USA

2. How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
    Google - Finasteride Side Effects Long Term

3. What is your current age, height, weight?
    32, 6’2, 182

4. Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise?
    Yes, aerobic

5. What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)?
    Organic veggies with meat sparringly

6. Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)?
    Hair Loss

7. For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)?
    11 years

8. How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride?
    21, Nov of 1999

9. How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
    32, Sep 2011

10. How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
    I started taking it off and on and then decided to stop, so I accidentally tapered you could say.

11. What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic?
    Started with Propecia then went to Proscar after 7 years.

12. What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
    1 propecia pill a day. After I changed to Proscar I cut one of those in half and ate half of it a day.

13. How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects?
    I never realized it until I stopped, then I understood how it had changed me…now I’ve crashed.

14. What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
    Brain fog, lowered sex drive, slurred speech, unmotivated.

Put an X beside all that apply:

Sexual
[ x] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[ x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ x] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ x] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ x] Confusion
[ x] Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
[ x] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[x ] Slurring of Speech
[ x] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ x] Depression / Melancholy

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

1. What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
    No treatments yet, mainly exercise and diet.

2. If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

3. Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?

4. Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

If you’re wondering why my name is BrongFogBoy it’s because I meant to type “BrainFogBoy”. I was going to change it but figured it suitable as an example of my daily inaccuracies due to my brain fog.

I started losing hair when I was about 17, so at age 21 in 1999 I decided to get on propecia. I thought this was safe because it was being used in Proscar for prostate treatment and I figured by then they would know enough about it and any long term side effects, I had no idea how it would ultimately affect me.

When I first started on Propecia I was so young that I never really paid attention to my mood or to symptoms, I just assumed nothing would happen (I was invincible and that stuff only happens to other people) and so any changes were subtle and hardly noticeable because I didn’t pay attention. I never suspected anything was wrong with me whatsoever. Over time the symptoms slowly got worse (now that I think back on it) but it happened so slowly it was tough to tell. For 9 years I lived with a blanket pulled over my head that the way I was acting was just “me” and how I’ve matured - I never suspected anything.

At about year 9 I heard about Avodart. I decided to get on that and stop taking propecia, I took Avodart for a year and the side effects were massive and blatant. My brain fog was unbelievable. For awhile I didn’t even realize it was the Avodart, I thought maybe I was just maturing and that stuff didn’t make me mad anymore. I realized after awhile that I didn’t give a crap about anything. Someone could have come up and spit in my face and I would have wiped it away and continue to sit there like a zombie. I never had road rage anymore, nothing bothered me nor could it because just like you can’t irritate a coffee table you couldn’t bother me.

Going further: I couldn’t remember things, I couldn’t even talk straight. I would get on xbox live and people would call me retarded because I would talk slow and with a slur. I had always been known for my sense of humor and quick wit, that was absolutely a thing of the past. It wasn’t that I didn’t say anything funny, it was that I had absolutely no desire to respond to anything anyone said. I would go to a bar and sit there by myself all night staring at the wall and smacking my lips. I had turned into a full fledged weirdo and I now somewhat understand what insane people are going through…their brain won’t allow them to be normal just as I couldn’t. It took me over so much that it wouldn’t allow me to understand something was wrong with me. Just as a crazy person doesn’t realize he’s crazy, I didn’t realize anything was wrong with me. It’s a scary thought being trapped in your own mind - but I had moments where I came clear and immediately thought something was very wrong only to be taken back under by the drug and sent back into bring a zombie. It was those brief moments of clarity that turned out to be my saving grace.

After my girlfriend of five years whom I was living with cheated on me (although this is inexcusable I can’t blame her, I wasn’t giving her what she needed, attention, love, and a healthy sex life) I decided to get off of Avodart for a week and see what happened, amazingly I still wasn’t sure there was anything wrong, the drug was lying to me. After one week I noticed huge improvements and it became blatantly obvious that the drug was affecting me. Even though the half life is 6 months and it took a year to get it out of my system there was still huge unmistakable improvements. Thinking that I had returned to normal I went right back onto proscar as I “thought” I didn’t get side effects from it and had maintained my hair. I stayed on it until recently I began thinking “if Avodart is just a more powerful version of Proscar, maybe I’m having subtle side effects and don’t know it”. I decided to put it to the test.

I went off of proscar and after about a week I felt amazing. I felt completely alive like I hadn’t felt in years (11 to be exact), my brain was working with full force and funny and creative thoughts arose out of nowhere effortlessly…I remembered this feeling, it was the way I was before I was 21. I had to sit down because it was then that I realized I’d been cheating myself for the past 11 years and there was no way I was going back on proscar…this felt too good. I was a poor dude who had just remembered where he had buried his gold.

After about a week of feeling incredible it was torn away. I was left in the state I am now which is brain fog and decreased sex drive and overall motivation, it’s worse than when I was on proscar but not as bad as when I was on Avodart. It’s like a clamp is on my brain, I swear I can feel it. It’s like something is missing. I can’t concentrate like I used to, my personality is shot, I feel like I have to try to get into the mood for sex or to even have a basic conversation. It feels like I’m slowly losing my mind. Some nights I close my eyes and find my mind racing with these incoherent thoughts, it’s like a slide-show of pictures that are all out of order and I almost have to shake my head to come back to reality. Sometimes I feel like I don’t know how I got where I am, that I’m in some type of dream-like state or that none of this is real. It feels like time has less meaning, I don’t recall how long I’ve been in a place, an hour could be ten minutes or twenty seconds, this is not the reality I know at all.

This is what led to a search and found my exact symptoms described on this board. So now I’m on a mission to get myself back to normal, I’m in an amazing relationship right now and I’m going to fight to keep it. I will say that some days I seem to feel great, not completely normal but “pretty good” while others I feel like just sitting down and staring at a wall. In the mornings I feel like I can’t possibly go through the day. I can’t have a conversation and my tongue feels paralyzed. The thought of going on like this for the rest of my life sounds awful, and although I would never kill myself I can honestly see why someone would. It’s one thing when you’re born a certain way and that’s all you’ve ever known, but when you’ve had a good taste of peace of mind and then get it stripped away it can be a living nightmare.

I’m going to be doing a lot of searching and reading, if anyone has some “first steps” feel free to drop a response. I will get through this because the thing that’s taken away my motivation is ironically what’s motivating me to remove it. In the end the affects this drug have had on me will beat itself.

Welcome to the forum and I’m sorry you’re here.

I highlighted some things that I think many users of finasteride have found out or will find out upon discontinuing the drug based on information I’ve seen on this forum. What’s really bad is these cognitive impairments affect reasoning to even understand what’s happening to the person suffering them which makes discovering or understanding the change more difficult.

I suggest you read through the main site (propeciahelp.com) thoroughly before beginning on this forum. You should get a full testing done, recommended tests can be found on the blood test section of the forum.

Some things that help members here with cognitive symptoms are fasting, a raw food diet, paleo diet, very moderate exercise and getting enough sleep, eliminating caffeine, alcohol, sugar, and any foods you might be allergic to. You might gain your mental energy back ever but these things and time (sometimes up to 1.5 years) can help with brain fog. IMO, once you’ve taken these steps and gotten your blood work, it’s then a good time to consider hormonal treatments or other medical treatments. Some other people will suggest looking into HRT asap so you need to evaluate this info based on your needs/risk tolerance.

You will find very varied opinions on this site and a problem we have is that some people are very sensitive to things while others don’t even respond to them. We also have a problem of developing tolerances to things like PDE5 inhibitors, so be careful about what you put in your body and try to cycle supplements. Take it slow and try not to stress yourself.

Hey,

I used propecia for about 8 years and for me the worst side effects for me are the cognitive ones.

I also have problems with my memory, speech, anxiety, lack of motivation, concentration.

I have now been of the drug for about 3 months and I am seeing a slow improvement. The cognitive sides are improving for sure, but I am still not back to where I was before propecia.

It seems to be the trend for most guys on this forum that the cognitive sides get better within 3-16 months, it just depends on your body. I am definitely seeing an improvement, so I am glad, but it is a slow one and will take a few more months for sure.

I did have a crash after I stopped taking the stuff. For the first 4-6 weeks I felt great and then I hit a huge wall and crashed badly. All the symptoms came back strong and I felt horrible. This lasted for about 1 week and things started to slowly improve again. It is probably our hormones and bodies just re-balancing, so it will take some time to get things back to normal.

I also had times where I had a bad headache and it felt like a clamp was on my head, it would come and go, but since the last crash it has not returned.

Give it some time and the cognitive sides should improve and resolve slowly.

Gino

1 Like

Thanks for the response, I have already seen improvements in my cognition (it was unbearable a month ago) but I fear I’m just at the top of a bell curve right now and am about to have a crash again (has happened before) but I’m going to believe the best.

My sex drive has had no increase however - I have the drive to have sex with my girlfriend about once every three days at most.

the way you expressed yourself …is seriously great.
It feels like I’m slowly losing my mind. Some nights I close my eyes and find my mind racing with these incoherent thoughts, it’s like a slide-show of pictures that are all out of order and I almost have to shake my head to come back to reality. Sometimes I feel like I don’t know how I got where I am, that I’m in some type of dream-like state or that none of this is real. It feels like time has less meaning, I don’t recall how long I’ve been in a place, an hour could be ten minutes or twenty seconds, this is not the reality I know at all.
clap…clap…clap.
exactly how i feel…wish my parents could read this.!

1 Like

Hey,

I hope you don’t experience anymore crashes, it seems like most guys get a crash immediately after they stop and than again 2-3 months later. After this time period, the body slowly starts to re-balance and most people feel better with time, especially the cognitive sides.

I am just glad that my cognitive sides are getting better, as they were so bad on the drug and than again after the second crash, which hit me hard at 2 months off. I am now off and into month 3 and things are definitely getting better, slowly of course.

I think stopping the drug is the best thing we could have done and now give your body time to repair itself. For most people this is the best remedy and with patience it does work.

Gino

1 Like

Hi everyone. After my temporary recovery that I had from my last “Game Over PFS” I was determined to figure out how to repeat it and make it stick. I found out what worked for me and I’ve told you everything in these videos below. If you don’t want to watch the videos, no problem, here it is on a silver platter (I am now 2 years + without symptoms):

I’m not a doctor and this is not medical advice. I would say that this process could be risky and you should consult your physician to be sure this is right for you. I of course make no claims, I’m only sharing exactly what worked for me.

STEP 1: I did a stool test. My stool test showed I had no bifidobacterium or lactobacillus, so I was a candidate. Here is the stool test I used which I had to go through a functional medicine doctor to order: https://www.doctorsdata.com/GI360-stool
STEP 2: I took 1 GRAM (that’s right, 1,000 milligrams) of pure iodine taken in orange juice, every day for seven days. So that’s 7 grams of Iodine total (the iodine I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727KZDXW) I did not eat any other sugar or cabs during this time (other than the orange juice). I put the 1 gram of Iodine in around half a liter of orange juice and drank it throughout the day.
STEP 3: I waited a few days and then did a fecal transplant from a known healthy donor to replace beneficial bacteria that doesn’t exist. Once I did the transplant I could eat fruits, healthy carbs (rice, quinoa, sprouted bread) and stayed away from alcohol and garbage food for a few months.

I have released videos on youtube explaining in detail my process, this board keeps taking those links off of my post (not sure what is going on with this place with all the censorship). Search for the title “Game Over Post Finasteride Syndrome - How I Recovered Part 1 of 2”

4 Likes

Hey @BrongFogBoy

Watched both videos. Thanks for sharing. You posted this on my birthday and I see it as a gift.

I have some important questions for clarity sake as I will likely undergo this protocol. I’ve done an FMT in the past as well with a female donor I found myself, but it didn’t do anything, likely because I also did not “clean” my gut before doing it, nor have I gone for a stool test, which I will now.

1. I believe you mentioned you drank the orange juice concoction over a week. Are you saying you took 1 gram of iodine every single day for a week, or you made 1 batch of OJ + Iodine and drank it slowly over a whole week?

2. How many liters of OJ did you put the 1g if iodine in?

3. How much would you drink per day?

4. What age was the female stool donor?

5. Did you send the donor’s stool in for testing? If so, I assume she had normal levels?

Thank you for contributing. I also believe this is majorly gut related and also trauma/brain related for most people.

Good questions, I’ll add some of these to my description.

• I put the 1 gram of Iodine in around half a liter of orange juice and drank it throughout the day
  • The age of the female donor was around 34
  • I didn’t send the donors stool in for testing, if I had more money I would have. I chose my donor based on the fact that she always displayed energy and vitality, had been tested for STD’s and wasn’t on any anti-depressants that would fake her great energy and vitality. Basically I chose someone who I felt seemed really naturally healthy.

*edit : Also made a correction, after the transplant I could eat fruits, healthy carbs (rice, quinoa, sprouted bread)

Great, and what did you eat while consuming the OJ mixture? Just your regular diet, excluding carbs? Would you have it on an empty stomach or with food? I’d assume empty stomach to ensure it doesn’t get diluted and remain potent.

And just to be clear, it was 1 gram of iodine every single day for 7 days, so you took 7 grams in total?

My donor will be a young girl, between 9-12 years old. I also heard there were studies that when the biome of younger mice were put into older mice, they aged better, so that’s interesting as well, same goes for injections of blood.

I can’t recall exactly, but I was eating stuff like eggs, meat, avacado, Brussel sprouts, kale, broccoli with lots of olive oil on it. I drank the OJ + Iodine throughout the day, sometimes on an empty stomach, sometimes with food, I just kind of sipped on it throughout the day so I had a constant stream of iodine coming down. There were some days where I would drink like half of it all at once because I wasn’t home to that day to sip and had to catch up.

1 Like

So happy to see a member back after a decade.
How do you think the iodine helped? Was your thyroid out of whack? It sounds very, ray peaty. :upside_down_face:

Here’s his video for everyone. (Let’s see if the link is removed…)

I updated my videos and post to be more clear : it’s 1 gram of iodine every day for a total of 7 grams.

wonder if anyone else will try and recover. Or will they try and end up with nothing like most other stories.

Since the yahoo pfs group 2003 we have hundrets of high professional recoverers in multiple recover subcommunities and specialized recovery chat groups who recover 24/7 for two decades now. And we have even recovery compilations here.

So people do recover?

Many make an account here totally desperate and after some weeks or months, they recognize that they are the lucky ones who had only finasteride side effects, like the gaslighting leaflats inform: "Sides like ED can hold on after quitting " That’s what we all thought, some weeks but not for years or permanent.

The first year recoveries from guys who got pfs and cured again in an early stage. I know some personally (digital)

And some well documented recoveries after years like Simon Breidert and some others.

But my comment about the recovery industry was ironic. It brings nothing for anyone and bonds all the power to fight finasteride, warn inocent newcomer and cure the disease for all

1 Like

These pills are absolutely disgusting. Do you have a what’s app?

Wait what? What group is this how do we join?
What are people doing to recover?

Are you still recovered to this day bro? Would really love some help if you’re still around

Also, if we don’t have access to a fecal transplant at all- can we just take probiotics?