1 month of Saw Palmetto... chance of recovery?

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)? USA

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?). Google

What is your current age, height, weight? 23… 5’9". 121 lbs

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)? Saw Palmetto

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)? 320mg daily
What condition was being treated with the drug? Hair Loss

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)? 1 month

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug? 23. 8/1/21

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit? 23. 9/2/21

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)? Cold Turkey

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects? 2 weeks

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[x] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[x] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[x] Loss of Morning Erections
[ ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[x] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[x] Reduced Ejaculate
[x] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[x] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[x] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[x] Confusion
[x] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[x] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[x] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[x] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[x] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[x] Muscle Weakness
[x] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[x] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[x] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[x] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug? Boron, L-Arginine, Vitamin D3, L-Carnitine, Vitamin K2

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

I began using Saw Palmetto extract for hair loss in August 2021. I used it because I wanted to take something natural as an alternative to Finasteride. I did not know that a natural product would have so many terrible side effects. About 2 weeks into use I noticed decreased libido. Also a rapid onset of severe fatigue. I began to sleep all day, waking up still tired. Going to bed a lot earlier. I did not attribute this to the SP extract so I kept taking it for another 2 weeks until I noticed nipple pain and testicle pain, that is when I stopped completely. I don’t know if it was smart to stop cold turkey but I thought if I tapered off, then it would still be in my system longer and thus increase the possibility for more side effects. I had hormone tests right before I started taking it, and soon I am going to check everything again so I can compare. I did check a couple things though. Progesterone is 0.28, My SHBG is 80, Testosterone is 982 used to be 1080. I checked T a couple weeks ago but I believe it is a lot lower now since my libido has decreased significantly this week, but not gone completely. The only side effects that have gone away are testicle and nipple pain. I still have severe brain fog, fatigue, and muscle weakness, lack of coordination, and nausea. And sexual issues obviously. I am taking a few supplements right now, hopefully they start to work soon. Not sure if I should start doing stuff like HCG and all that or just wait it out to see if it improves.
If anybody has recovered from Saw Palmetto or made any type of improvement, any information at all would be a huge help. I believe I will recover from this. Thank God I was not deceived by Kevin Mann, MPMD, and the Hair Loss Show. Because I was so close to going on Dut or Fin after watching their videos. I know there is not a lot of recovery stories out there but I think there are more who bounced back from SP than Finasteride right? Most say SP is less potent than Finasteride while some say it is worse? Which one is true?

Saw Palmetto is as common as a normal supplement in many multivitamin compositions. And it’s sold as healthy nature product.
And so many think it’s harmless. And it’s as dangerous as Finasterid.

1 Like

Saw Palmetto blocks both 5ari type 1 and 5ari type 2, finasteride blocks only 5ari type 2.

I understand that it blocks both. But it’s not what I was asking. I want people to reply who have recovered or can give me a sense of what the recovery is like compared to finasteride. I see a lot of people that dont get any problems at all from SP but I feel like almost everyone who takes Fin will get at least one side effect sooner or later. I think it’s extremely rare to get zero sides at all from Finasteride but a lot more common with SP

Of you tick the S you will be lead to 81 Saw palmetto users. You can find there some stories about handling this case.

Thanks man. I know you have it pretty rough, how many different treatments have you tried? I watched a video of this guy who made a pretty decent recovery so far. You should check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ThhiRZYEM&t=11s

This is not true. Finsteride blocks type 2 & 3 equally. It also block type 1 but to a less degree.

I can’t say much about saw palmetto though, as I haven’t done any research on it.

It probably depends on potency of saw palmetto (how concentrated the extract was), and how long its used as well… I suppose hairloss saw palmetto products are much more concentrated than saw palmetto that they put in multivitamins.

There was one study that compared a lot of saw palmetto products on the market but I’m not on PC so I can’t find it now… Although I remember It concluded that topical products are more concentrated and resulted in more potent 5ari inhibition that saw palmetto in pill form.

Much more people took fin than saw palmetto, so that’s why there is a lot more fin cases, although lately saw palmetto is pushed as “super food” and I see more and more saw palmetto cases both here and on reddit. Unfortunately I don’t see too many recoveries from either of them :/. Moonman is 15 years into saw palmetto suffering for example.

Some things do get better with time though… Many things improved for me in this 1 year, but some still persist!

Hey man, did you recover?

I am going through very similar symptoms!

I had the same experience - used 125mg of saw palmetto extract for 3 weeks and no more morning erections, zero libido, insomnia and depression.
That was 8 months ago and I still havent recovered.
It’s true what you’re saying - Saw Palmetto isn’t as potent as finasteride or dutasteride however it seems for people like us its still too strong.
I’ve read some stories where ppl recovered after 2 months but thats about it.
How are you now?

I hate this guys Mpmd I use ru and topical dutasteride for his suggestions in his video always pushing these product. I’m mad I listen to him snake oils seller. How are you doing these days, any sort of improvement?

1 Like