Why do old man get pssd/pfs less often? Methylation?

I was thinking about how a lot of old man can take finasteride for their prostate and get away with it. Why do a lot of these young people who take SSRI/finasteride get troubles, and the older ones seem to get it less? Same goes with SSRI. I found out that with age u get a less active methylation system, it decreases with 30 percent even. This is also related to dementia, methylation is important for memory. On the other hand ‘‘abnormally’’ increased methylation is related to things like obsessive behaviour, something which is more common to have had in the PSSD community then depression before use of the substance. What if this increased methylation system we have, made us prone to the epigenetic silencing? And that this is also the reason older people often get away with it? Just a theory and hope u guys can give ur opinions.

1 Like

I’ve thought about that. The genetic changes in DNA as we age could be partially responsible for PFS occurring more in young men.

Additionally, young men are more likely to take these drugs than old men. And another thing that comes to mind is old people reporting PFS May have their symptoms written off by a doctor as “you’re just aging” and therefore the patient never knows he has PFS.

2 Likes

I think this drug is more often taken by old man then by guys for hairloss. My dad takes dutasteride (I got him off), his friend just visited and he also takes it. Its the first go to for man who have urine troubles in their 50’s, and most have those troubles. I do think the sexuals would be written off by the age argument, but the total personality change etc? I dont think that would go unnoticed for the man who is taking it. I mean, doctors also tell us it’s all in our heads, and still we go look online because we know something is wrong.

1 Like

For prostrate the dose is 5mg and hairloss is 1mg. Could this have something to do with it?

I noticed that 10mg of propranolol increased my libido. However 20-40mg did nothing for libido. I couldn’t figure out why?

I dont think taking higher doses would decrease the risk of getting PSSD tbh.

I wonder about this too.

I also wonder why teenagers who take Accutane on the whole do not experience a post isotretinoin syndrome (some kids do). Maybe their bodies are still developing their hormone systems so damage is unlikely to stick?

I was 63 y/o when PFS ruined my life. I’m not sure I like being referred to as an old man. :slight_smile:
I was taking the 5 mg daily dose of Proscar for BPH. I suffer from most of the same side effects as you young guys.

Meanwhile, I discussed PFS on another social media platform and warned against Finasteride. The only response I got was from an 81 year old man who had been taking it for 20 years and defended it.

JIm, you are right–63 is not old! I am very sorry that you are dealing with PFS–it is crappy at any age! Please know that the arguments made by Merck and other drug companies and their surrogates in the medical and media fields like to say that “older men get ED, etc. anyway” to justify their harmful drugs. In fact that is not the case and it is just a self-serving argument. I myself am not and have not and will not denigrate any person’s experience. Age is just a number. My goal with PFS is to get as healthy as I can with my nonPFS health so I live well.

1 Like