Upper Limit for Vitamin D Supplementation

Does anyone have experience with high volume vitamin D supplementation? What would you say is the maximum safe dose? I was doing 10,000 IU and have since switched to 15 and then 20,000 IU. Noticed an acceleration of bone regrowth and as far as I can tell, no adverse side effects. I would really like to go up to 50,000 IU - has anyone taken this dose for an extended period? I’m willing to bet I would be fine, makes sense someone who needed to rebuild a massive amount of skeletal structure would have huge D3 requirements.

Probably clear already but I’m talking about daily supplementation at these doses.

I take 5000 units of Vitamin D a day. Most sites I’ve visited on this subject state that level is probably ok. I think you are incurring some risk with the doses you are talking about. Mayo Clinic says 50,000 units may caused toxicity.

mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes … q-20058108

It seems to lower cortisol - my subjective sense of things. Cortisol situation is extremely volatile as it is, so probably not a good thing. Jesus is my skeleton growing back fast though. Probably compromise at 15,000 IU, I really don’t think this dose presents any risk.

Didn’t they say that 1 hour under the mid-day sun is equal to 50,000 IU ? Of course that might depend on your skin type.

I take 40,000 IUs every day. 20 in am and 20 in pm.

When I start to get sick I up it to 80k.

Been doing this for a few years and feel good. Def notice a downturn if I lower it. I do have some Vitmain D SNP mutations.

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to experiment with higher dosages 5,000 IU’s at a time, as of now at 30,000 IU. Moonman - did/do you have bone loss? Just out of curiosity.

To anyone out there who experienced bone loss and is recovering, just hang in there. It’s gotten to the point where I am in a state of complete shock over how depleted my skeleton was. It’s been 513 days since crash and every single time I’ve woken up in the morning, I’ve had larger bones, yet despite the enormous amount of bone growth I’ve experienced, I am nowhere near normal looking. Around crash it was hidden by the fact that I had such a high body fat %. Now that I’ve shed that fat and can see what’s underneath, it’s just bizarre. In 6 months this drug literally disintegrated my entire skeleton.

Hey man - I’m pretty much where you were at. Bones in my entire body, including my face, are thinning. I’ve lost height, and I feel like my skeleton has shrunk. What have you done to help with this? I’ve been taking Vitamin D3 at 5,000 iu per day, but so far it hasn’t really made a difference.

I’ve been fortunate enough to (in some respects at least) recover naturally (i.e. simply with the passage of time). My bones began to regrow very soon after quitting. Are you sure yours aren’t growing at all? Have you done a tactile inventory of them before going to sleep and then after waking up? If you’re meticulous about this, you will see a difference if they’re growing back. You could also do stuff like measure your jaw (or the distance around your chest at the lowest point of the sternum, or whatever). Also you can take way more than 5,000 IU of D3.

Yeah I’m pretty much the opposite of you - the bone loss ramped up after I quit, and it’s progressively getting worse with the passage of time. Bones in my skull, jaw. wrist, spine, legs have lost mass. I’m praying it stabilizes, otherwise I’m genuinely afraid I won’t be able to walk within the next year.

I’ve upped the dosage of Vit D to 10,000 iu, and will experiment with 15,000 soon. Hopefully it’ll help. Also will be getting back results from a DEXA scan and will also do some x-rays. I suspect osteoporosis to be honest.

How do you feel day to day from high doses, medium doses and zero doses of vit d? Can you tell the difference? In my experience nutritionists (since most people are healthy but have vit d deficiency) recommend 10,000 IU d3 for 1-3 months to get levels up and then 5,000 daily for upkeep. And that’s not counting severe conditions like ours or people who try to cure cancer with vit d. This says Risk for overdose: “Adults who take more than 10,000 IU’s per day for long periods of time.”
easy-immune-health.com/vitam … tment.html

I’ve taken between 20,000 and 35,000 IU/day (more often closer to 20,000) for basically the last 2 months. Prior to that it was 5,000 or 10,000. I think you’re right though, I should cut down. Last few days it’s been 10,000 to 15,000 and I may return to 5-10,000. I’m not exactly sure how different doses affect my other symptoms (libido, adrenals, etc.), but I will say I’m on a big upswing in my overall recovery past several days - my adrenal system seems to be getting ‘back online’.

It’s still tempting to take extremely high doses though, because doing so has accelerated the reconstruction of my skeleton noticeably.