suicide

This is the best effort summarising the CRISPR situation re: erectile dysfunction:

… progress is also being made on longer-term treatments such as gene therapy which could offer a complete cure. At the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research in northern California, a group of scientists have identified a genetic switch which is thought to be unique to sexual function. They believe that this switch plays a crucial role in controlling the brain signals which initiate an erection, and new genome editing technologies such as Crispr-Cas9 could one day allow scientists to reactivate this switch in patients.

“This genetic location is part of a pathway which is involved in a number of different systems in the body, from pigmentation to weight to sexual function,” explains project leader Eric Jorgenson. “But what is exciting about this, is that it seems to be very specific to sexual function, which would make it possible to target this location and not disturb anything else in the body. But there’s a long way to get there. We need to understand the exact part of the brain where this switch is active, and then try targeting it in mice.”

Because genome editing is still such an experimental concept, Jorgenson says it will take time for regulators to become confident that it could be safe. “The first uses of Crispr-like technology will probably be in patients where there’s more of a direct medical need for experimental therapies,” he says. “You’d need to have a very safe treatment before people will allow it for erectile dysfunction.”

1 Like

Be more specific about what you’re talking about. When you say legal and ethical hurdles, are you referring to the ones that are largely being ignored outside the West?

Case in point. It will take a long time: Loads more studies, a long time of applying it to deadly diseases, and then eventually it might come to non lethal diseases like PFS. If it is helpful for PFS, which is another big if.

Do you know how long the above described will take? Its naive to think all of this will happen within less than 10 or even 20 years.

And then we probably will need much more time before we understand PFS anyway.

1 Like

I agree with you totally. And the thing is. People will try everything in their power to defend that IT WILL be fixed in the upcoming years. I think deep down inside they also logically know this just isn’t the case. But why do they ignore this? I think they are scared shitless, and can not face the reality of our current situation. Which is understandable.

5 Likes

Symptom severity varies greatly as you probably know, and some have it worse than others. I myself only had some genital numbness, some motivation issues and anhedonia when I first came off SSRIs. I didn’t even realize there was something wrong because although I felt different, it wasn’t night and day. Then when I crashed off fin, things changed dramatically. It was absolutely in my face horrible. I don’t know how I survived the first couple of months, and there are people over here who had it worse than me.

Even to this day I have to be careful to avoid my triggers, else I end up in a suicidal non functional state. There are people here who’ve taken AIs and ended up with their bodies disintegrating. There are people here who’ve taken vitamins and ended up with their bodies disintegrating. There are people over here who’ve eaten the wrong goddamn vegetable for a few days and ended up with their bodies disintegrating. Something is fundamentally wrong in the way our bodies are functioning right now. And you’re choosing to compare PFS to erectile dysfunction.

And why is that? I genuinely don’t understand how people make assertions like “this is not going to be fixed in the next 20-50 years” “this will be fixed in the next 80 years” with so much confidence, all the while calling everyone who says things have a decent chance of getting fixed if we play our cards right sooner rather than later naive. Especially when people making these statements have no background in the subject matter discussed besides a couple of internet articles and their own opinions.

I think that’s complete bs, it takes away hope from the community who are already suicidal and allows them to enforce their belief to think they are doomed rather than do the difficult thing and work towards fixing this goddamn mess. Do the damn survey, report to your local medical authorities (PSSD is now recognized in the EU because of this, Accutaners are also having a session soon with their local health authorities, that Reuters report led to a hearing where they’ll probably reevaluate court policy), push and push and fucking push, if we all put in the goddamn effort we can actually fucking do something about this. This is serious, we’ve had our lives fucked although this is not our mess to clean we are the ones who have the most to lose if it isn’t.

5 Likes

Posts like that really don’t help man. Hope is the only thing keeping some people going on here. You might be right, you might be wrong. But you have nothing scientific to support your claim. If that’s your belief then that’s fine but sometimes things are better kept to yourself.

2 Likes

I might end it at the beginning of next month. 2 years suffering from this shit has not been fun to say the least. Soldiering on is not really worth it.

2 Likes

Hi, please fill out the survey if it has been more rhan 2 years. Do you need help ?

I spoke with a teacher today from Germany suffering with PFS he had told me he visited one of the best doctors in Germany and that the doctor told him that he thought the androgen receptors were damaged in the brain by finasteride it goes along with my theory that finasteride mutated the receptors.

Lad I haven’t a notion something in German lol but that’s what he said

Well damaged absolutely not. Maybe set wrongly but not damaged like this is ireversible.

Another “positivity vs. negativity - who will be the winner?” thread. Especially reading the title it should be focused on support of those who are in a bad place I would think and with some posts here I wonder what impression does this leave for example in some new freshly dismanteled sufferer that came here to fill in the Survey recommended here in hope of participating in science advancement and future science hope. I can only imagine…

3 Likes

Living life with no emotions, no libido, a numb and shrunken dick, erectile dysfunction, constant sleeplessness (NO sleep multiple nights a week), cognitive dysfunction, numb skin, dry and thinning skin, thinning hair, dry mouth, no response to drugs or alcohol (no relief), etc. etc. etc. is not a life. This is living death.
Melcangi says they are “very far away” from figuring out the etiology of PFS. I have PSSD and there is NO research going on into that. So what if PSSD is recognized in Europe? That’s nice for prevention but those who have it are probably fucked. You can only go so far with false hope. The fact that people are relying on community projects and surveys to save them shows how far off we are. There not much more info because nobody else but a few select doctors gives a shit. I filled out the fucking survey and did 23&me and now what? Somebody here going to figure out how to turn on silenced genes? Doubtful.
I myself have a substance stored away that will hopefully give me a somewhat peaceful death. I feel sorry for my mother and family and friends but this is too much for anyone. I guess everyone can make that decision for himself but for someone as bad off as I and some others are the decision was made when we crashed. We are dead already. Just have to kill the physical form to end the suffering. Maybe cause I have NO emotions I’m being callous to some but it’s the truth. We all gotta die someday anyway fellas. Those who can fight keep fighting. Those who can’t I hope you find a peaceful death. But please stop with the “it’s only a matter of time” shit. I only have the logic part of my brain left and it’s telling me that’s not the reality. Sorry if this triggers some but this is a thread about suicide. I’ll keep enduring (not living) until I can’t. Then I will drift off into the sweet relief of death.

9 Likes

You should check this forum 8 years ago, they said similair stuff. About how things are going fast now, and how there will be a cure sooner rather than later. And how we should push and we will get there. The fact is that the first study hasn´t even released. And if it releases it´s only part 1. They announced part 2 might take another year to publish. So that´s around 1 year before even the first study completes. What then? Well they might find some altered methylyation levels, they might also not find this. Let’s say they do find this. How do you see a cure popping up in the following years? There again needs to be done research after research for this. There needs to be funds for these researches again. If these researches again take years, it’s safe to say in my opinion in at least the next 10 years science is not going to bring us a cure, and that’s already being very hopefull.

Maybe more acknolwedgedement will be given in the next years. Maybe even that we find out what genes have generally been affected. But we don’t even know if genes are the only problem. I too put in hard work in fixing this man. It’s not about me whining and doing nothing. I even spoke to two researchers myself regarding PSSD, and they want to interest epigenetic researchers to help me maybe start a study. Yet they also told me this will simply take years. We have to be fair and realistic. I hate closing our eyes just for the sake of hope. It will only create dissapointment.

4 Likes

Most likely outcome actually is that no cure will be found in the next 50 years. Far too complex and no funding probably means that soon (within 10 years) progress comes to a halt. We will then have to wait until medicine progresses so far that PFS is solved as a byproduct, which obviously will take a long, long time. And we havent even really made any real progress that can come to a halt in the first place, melangci said this very clearly.

3 Likes

Yes, my 10 years already are incredibly optimistic. To be honoust it will take such a long time, for me, it’s not something I even really think about anymore. I want to support the cause, but it will not safe me.

3 Likes

People tend to underestimate the time needed when it comes to this stuff, because they often see advancements in computer chip technology or the internet and believe that this stuff simply can be projected onto medicine or other fields. Not the case.

Look at how much funding cancer is getting, and how many decades have passed, and still no widely applicable cure.

3 Likes

Let’s not give false hope to those that come to this site who are only holding onto nothing else but hope and that is what I’m clinging to. There is men that recover from this that’s a fact today I also talked with Paul who has improved considerably in all aspects.

4 Likes

Yes. Some get lucky and recover, not denying that. Majority does not.