Pete1989's story

Thank you everyone for the kind words of support. I will definitely try and keep a positive mind although sometimes it seems very hard to do so.

I wanted to give an update on my situation. The last propecia pill I took was on the 2nd of August. After approx 3 weeks I am starting to get my normal erections the way I used to which is making me feel slightly better. I am having no problems with maintaining the erections. I do not know if my body will crash later or not like many users have reported. But I am going to stay a little positive that things remain this way now.

But my face has not improved which has gotten me a little worried. So i would like to ask if there is anyone out there who got their normal erections back but not their face? I am hoping that if my erections have improved my face should also come back to normal in time. But is there anyone who’s face has not returned to normal but whose erections/performance etc have returned to normal?

1 Like

Guys

This is pretty embarrassing to talk about but I developed a Hemorrhoid the size of a pea on my right side yesterday.

Is this a reported side effect at all? Or could it just be from heavy lifting which I do regularly? I have had one or two before in my lifetime, but nothing ever this big. Additionally, I am now 17 days off of 9 pills and I am feeling the slight testicle pain that everyone talks about (maybe not so slight in some cases Ive read). I would describe the feeling as more tender and sensitive then painful. Hoping this will subside, but I just wanted to give an update on my case. So far the sides I am experiencing are severe insomnia, slight testicle pain, and a massive hemorrhoid.

Hi Pete,

I am so sorry that you have gotten the hemorrhoid.

Thankfully that never happened to me. But I did get a slight testicle pain like the one you have mentioned only for 1 day. It was in the left testicle. I never got it again. But lets see what happens in the future. I also am getting insomnia.

You are very lucky that atleast your face has come back to normal. Mine is getting worse. Pointy chin, severely decreased cheeks volume and dark, deep and hollow holes under the eyes. Its like my face has been sucked inside. It sucks really bad.

Hey @Boomerang3378

Luckily I got some good sleep last night, and the Hemorrhoid decreased in size significantly. I can definitely tell there are lingering effects of the finasteride, but not as bad as others have described. I realize how fortunate I am for that.

Have you tried to any supplements, or any other treatment to get real sleep? My facial sides I was experiencing in the beginning cleared immediately after getting some real sleep. I can’t speak for the facial changes around your chin, but the hollow eyes I was experiencing as well did subside

1 Like

Just wanted to drop in and leave you guys with an update.

My left nut went from aching for a couple days (literally just 2-3) to now tingling. Not sure what that’s all about but I suspect it has to do with blood flow. The tingling just started today, will let you guys know if it persists. Additionally I get penis size changes, hanging long and low to shriveled wimp in a matter of a couple hours. I typically appear smaller in the morning after I wake up and get out of the shower? As the day goes by it seems to loosen up and grows back to normal size. Libido is 100%, masturbation is fine and ejaculate is white like it’s supposed to be.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Additionally, sleep problems have gone away completely at this point. No mental sides either.

Thanks

Hey, Pete, I am so happy to hear that your sleep is fully back to normal. Also lack of mental sides. Congratulations!

I am in a similar situation regarding sexual sides at 44 days after last fin dosage. I’ve had some penile pain and a bit of aching sporadically in the left nut as well. Libido and ejaculate are 100% normal. I’d like to know what could be causing this as well.

Sounds like were at the same exact “milestone” for lack of a better term. My quitting date was August 10th. Im not getting the penile pain your describing but definitely felt the aching in the left testicle. It usually happens after I ejaculate, almost feels like the testicle is trying to work and do its damn job but is being constricted through the tube connecting the prostate. The ache occurs in the back of the left testicle, this is the same place the tingling occurs.

Overall I am thankful it has stopped at this and I am counting my blessings, believe me. I can deal with the testicle aches because they happen rarely, whats bothering me the most right now is my balls shriveling up

I wasnt even getting that as a side effect until very recently. Hoping that goes away.

But yes honestly the insomnia was the worst part of all of this, I felt like I was losing my mind. That hands down has to be one of the worst side effects to get dealt and I dont wish it upon anyone

I had some pain and tingling, aches after ejaculation.

The pain and tingling have all but gone, I got my doc to examine my balls and she said they were fine. I convinced her to let me have an ultrasound exam which she said was totally unnecessary but she would let me have to put my mind at ease. I was supposed to have that a couple of days ago but it had to be rescheduled. If you’re worried, go get checked out. The relief when she said everything was normal was immense.

I normally wake up with morning wood so mornings I look ok. Later on size can be all over the place.

1 Like

I definitely plan to see my primary if the pain comes back one more time. Prostate cancer runs in my family and I’m nervous that finasteride may have some how triggered some type of over compensating hormonal mechanism that caused my prostate to enlarge (Christ, the irony of it is just laughable considering).

That gives me some relief as well that your doctor said that, I’ll have to check it out for myself.

I also get morning wood, but its distinctly after I pee in the morning and shower where I notice my nuts shrink up. Between the hours of 9am and 12pm until I eat lunch, then its back to normal. @agarman also had a very similar experience where he would get size fluctuation at certain points in the day - wonder how his turned out.

All in all, I am hopeful seeing that it’s been 40 days. Somewhere on this forum I’ve seen a couple guys say that the aches went away, however I also read someone else say that the tingling lasted over a year. As I am typing this, everything feels completely normal, it occurs very randomly but more often after masturbation.

Please keep me updated on the ultrasound, I would really like to know the turn out and sending positive thoughts your way @Greek that everything turns out fine. Just curious, did you also run a blood panel?

1 Like

I had blood taken, they lost the sample and called me back. I haven’t gone yet as I don’t feel like it’ll give any useful info at the moment. I’m not sure what could be done with the results.

That’s crazy - those hours mirror mine almost exactly…

I’ve gotten a whole lot better since I originally posted - almost feel back to normal now. Still have a few issues though that mirror yours Pete. Namely:

1. I experience a bit of the same shrinkage you mention in the mornings, but slightly different. My testicles tend to retract from when I get up to around 1 or 2PM for some reason. My slight indentation on the right hand side is more visible (still concerned this is some form of Peyronie’s), and things just generally look weird. No major shrinkage of the actual penis from what I can tell.

2. When I go to poop, my penis makes all sorts of weird shapes. It will shrink way way up, the expand to normal and sometimes even move around. Zero clue what’s up with that… Freaky stuff though.

3. I seem to have fewer spontaneous erections nowadays but nothing too crazy

All in all I’m beyond estatic with my progress so far. If all I get out of this with is a slightly weird looking penis at times I’m 110% cool with that. Will continue keeping an eye on it and hoping things improve over the coming months. I’d imagine you’ll continue to see improvements too, particularly with a good diet and exercise.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @agarman thats very helpful to know. I think we’re on a decent track to recovery, sincerely hoping what we’re all experiencing are just lingering sides and not signs of long term damage. The fact that my penis can grow to full length and girth by the end of the day tells me that this mechanism is somehow addressable, just need to figure out what’s going on. Maybe time is the only answer

Hello everyone,

Been a while since my last post, it’s been just over the one year mark for me since consuming my last dose of Finasteride. Shout out to finasteride class of 2018’ (ha… just kidding). I wanted to provide a one year update to anyone who followed my story initially.

I consumed Finasteride 1mg daily for 10 days between August 1st and August 10th of 2018. Side effects did not manifest until ceasing use of the drug. About 2-3 days after quitting, I was experiencing extreme insomnia, brain fog and fatigue, abnormal erectile function, extreme bags under my eyes, and other minor side effects. My first reaction was to try and remedy my side effects by digesting a long list of supplements - mostly experimented with amino acids.

Some worked, but only provided short term relief. I don’t recall any supplements that had a negative reaction, however I was very careful in making sure I didn’t consume anything that would worsen my situation. The problem was finding something that actually had lasting effects.

I can go on and on about which supplements I tried and which were most effective, but I would be wasting everyone’s time for the following reason. One year into this, and I’ve had several realizations. Although young in my recovery compared to others on this forum, I quickly understood that time (while accompanied by a healthy sleeping schedule, decent diet, and exercising at least 4 times a week) was the single biggest factor contributing to any sort of relief of side effects. Another major factor that I felt made a lasting impact was not feeling sorry for myself, and not letting this consume of my day to day life. The reason for my distancing from the forum was for this very reason - and it’s counter intuitive in a sense because I met some really great guys who provided strong support and great advice on this forum. But at a certain point it felt like the more I read into this, the more depressed and anxious I was getting, and it almost became a chore to see what else I could be doing to fix myself. I found myself to be truly free the moment I stopped trying to control the situation by ingesting home remedies and focusing on it day to day.

As for my side effects:

Insomnia: Like I said above, insomnia was the worst of my side effects by far. My insomnia did not feel anxiety related even though at times I would lay in bed with my heart pounding out of my chest. It felt as if something was really wrong, like my biological clock had been altered. I found myself extremely fatigued during the day and what ensued was a combination of being completely mindless and falling asleep at my desk at work. Eventually, the insomnia just went away on it’s own. I took melatonin to help me sleep, but I don’t think the melatonin is what got my sleep back in order. Time was the biggest factor here.

Sexual function: There was one day I remember hitting up @Greek sort of freaking out because I couldn’t get an erection. I’m happy and thankful to say that this was the worst and only major episode where I truly couldn’t get an erection at all. It was one of the scariest things I’ve ever dealt with, especially considering I have extremely high libido. For a long while (about 8 months), it felt like my erections weren’t as strong as they used to be. This too has since subsided. I can honestly say this took the longest to get back to normal. I only recently (at about Month 8) felt that my erections were back to full strength 95%-100% of what they were prior to consuming Finasteride. Semen also took a long time (about 9-10 months) to get back from watery to a thick white consistency (sorry for the graphic). I also feel as if Time was the biggest factor here as well. I will say that one supplement that I have kept consistent throughout this entire process (even after discontinuing all other supplements) is L-Carnitine Tartrate. If I had to make a choice, I would say this was the most effective out of anything - but I am not recommendation for or against it. Do your own research, and understand that my point here is that time will be the biggest healing factor.

Dark circles: This was a big problem for me. Some of you will recall I started a thread a while back about this, and I attributed the dark circles to a combination of Finasteride and high sodium diet. I made it a life habit to start consuming a lot more water. I also started using Cerave eye cream which has worked as a miracle for me. My dark circles went away at the same time the above symptom went away (about 8-10 months).

Diet: As for diet, I can’t say that I made any significant changes here. I’ve always been a decently healthy eater and worked out at least 4x a week. The biggest change I made to my diet was discontinuing a soy based protein drink in the very beginning of my recovery and substituting it with a plant based protein. Currently and for the last 6-8 months, I’ve been supplementing only on L-Carnitine, a plant protein made by Optimum Nutrition, and a plant based multivitamin (that doesn’t contain any anti-androgens). That’s about it…

Lifestyle: Nothing changed in the exercise area of my life, essentially carried that on as usual and I think that may have helped a lot in making me feel better, or at the very least giving me some sense of normalcy throughout this process. I don’t drink alcohol and I don’t smoke cigarettes so everything else has essentially remained constant. I do want to touch on this concept of “normalcy”. Another significant reason I needed to stop reading other people’s stories is because it made me feel like we aren’t normal human beings anymore. I never could come to terms with that concept and in many ways I still don’t agree with some people’s views. I’m not asking for anyone’s opinion and you don’t need to agree on this, but in the end I believe refusing to buy into the idea that we’re handicaps has had a very positive impact for me. Based on my own experience, when we are full of negative thoughts our brain instinctively filters out incoming signals from the world and we tend to have a cloud pulled over our judgement. If you train your thinking to be negative day to day, it not only comes into conflict with how we feel on a daily basis, but it also starts to become your reality. If you keep telling yourself you’re not normal, guess what will happen in 4, 6, 8 months? You will eventually start to believe that. That being said, I also understand that my situation may not be as bad as others, and I truly sympathize with this stark truth. However I do feel positive thinking and trying to maintain a sense of normalcy even when I felt disassociated and detached was instrumental in pushing forward.

I also don’t want to give off the impression that this is a kick on the forum. It’s not, to the contrary this forum was one of the only places I felt true support when I first discontinued Finasteride - and for that I feel very thankful to the admins, mods, and everyone else who took the time to give their advice and support. For me personally, I just couldn’t keep reading the member stories and seeing the overwhelming number of individuals reporting extreme side effects. It was a personal decision…

I hope everyone is doing better, and just remember to be patient. Time is critical

5 Likes

so youre healed ? :slight_smile:

Not sure what to call it really, but I have been side effect free for some time. Every now and then, I get the sudden jerk reaction waking up late in the night but I can fall back asleep without issues.

In the automated update newsletter things I get emailed monthly I saw someone post a thread about people disappearing and not giving updates, so I just thought I would provide a quick one for anyone. And maybe it will help someone who is in early days struggling with this.

3 Likes

Any mental sides that you recovered from?

When I first quit I had brain fog/derealization, and also pretty severe anxiety. Im not sure if the anxiety was psychosomatic or not. In all honesty, when it comes to mental sides it’s difficult to tell if they simply went away or if I just learned how to live with them. The anxiety is definitely not there anymore, and I dont feel like I have brain fog. I don’t have any issues carrying on conversations, and I don’t have trouble remembering certain things like others report. I remember my first few weeks off of Finasteride, it felt like the teacher from the cartoon “Charlie Brown” when people were talking to me. All I can hear was “wah wah wah wah wah wah” lol.

That’s insane. I have a slight hint of a 24/7 derealisation ever since my second crash, happened during my insomnia days where i slept 30 minutes after being awake for 30 hours, but every day it changes… This gives me hope though, thanks and congratulations on your recovery.

Thanks for coming back and answering questions @Pete1989, I actually was thinking of you recently and I’m glad to hear you’re doing well. As class president of 2018, you are setting the standard. As has always been the case, I am following along behind you, not quite there, but I’m getting ever closer slowly.

1 Like

Thanks @Greek I feel very much connected to your situation. We shared a lot of the same side effects at the same time. Wishing you a smooth and full recovery

1 Like