Perhaps 3a-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/3b-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase worth investigating

I found this application for a method for modulating 3ahsd…

faqs.org/patents/app/20090171639

anyway, if people have out of range HIGH DHT and LOW adiol-g i beleive it doesnt point to a 3ahsd malfunction.

i was also wondering if there is a way to test of this — it seems pretty key

Yes there is such testing. Its the same as acth stimulation test only you measure not only cortisol but also progesterone and something else. Its standard testing really cause its done with children who are suspected of congential adrenal hyperplasia.

I was suppose to have these tests done last week but i chickened out cause i felt so incredible bad after the last acth stim test i had and have been feeling under alot of stress lately so did not want to push it.

I posted similar theory recently and i still believe that this or very similar issue is our problem. Could be different enzymes but its something in this chain that isent working properly.

When do you plan to re-take the test?

i really dont know.

Im suppose to call them when im up for it. Depends on the way i feel really. Lately ive been alot worse than previously so i doubt i will get it done very soon. Hoping during Feb.

It’s great you have found a lab willing to do such tests… I’m guessing you are referring to testing of 3a-HSD enzyme activity?

If so you might want to reconsider holding off based on emotional reactions though, as getting tested sooner enables you to get more answers sooner. regardless of emotional state.

In other words, the sooner you have results the sooner you can either investigate further into the tested area or discard it as a dead end.

Its pretty standard really. Hospital lab. Its 17 hydroxy and i belive 3a aswell. Just have to consult my doc so we do test for everything possible this time so i dont have to do it again.

Its not so much the emotional part of it. My body freaks out when i did the acth stim test last time and im allrdy under alot of stress. Im infact abit scared of taking it.

I understand the test made you feel not so great, but if you think it is the key to your problem wouldn’t you wanna know sooner rather than later?

Is it a simple blood draw or urine panel (ie, no need to freak out), or is it a “stimulation” test where they inject you with something?

Yes its a stimulation test. They inject acth and measure cortisol and metabolites before and after to c how the ratios compare. Thats the only way i know of how to detect an enzyme defficiency. In other words its deffinetly a tax on my allrdy taxed adrenals. Im just not up for it right now. Ever since i had that damn panic attack from marjiuna i have been feeling very anxious and edgy.

Better now but this experience deffinetly scared me. Propeciasides is a f***** curse but full blown panic attacks are just not something i ever wanna experience again. Scared the crap out of me and wouldent be suprised if im actually going through some trauma or similar right now :slight_smile:

I guess these are the enzymes you can check for with the stimulation test.

(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_adrenal_hyperplasia)
21hydroxylase
11b hydroxylase
3b hsd
17a hydroxylase

That leaves us with 17b wich is pointed out previously in this thread to be measured by checking androstendione to testosterone ratio after administering hcg. Should be easy enough for anyone on hcg or who has hcg at home.

3a hsd tho? how to test?

troubledfinuser2

Did you ever get tested for 17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 3 deficiency?
or do you know of anyone on the forum who has done the test?

Mutations in the HSD17B3 gene cause 17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 3 deficiency. The HSD17B3 gene provides instructions for making an enzyme called 17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 3. This enzyme is active in the testes, where it helps to produce testosterone from a precursor hormone called androstenedione.

Mutations in the HSD17B3 gene result in a 17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 3 enzyme with little or no activity, reducing testosterone production. A shortage of testosterone affects the development of the reproductive tract in the male fetus, resulting in the abnormalities in the external sex organs that occur in 17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 3 deficiency.

ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/17-beta-hydroxysteroid-dehydrogenase-3-deficiency

ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/HSD17B3