Osteoporosis after 7 years?

Hello, I am 37 years old and took propecia (1mg finasteride from July 1999 to december 2006). I stopped taking it because of the adverse effects and after finding this forum. Since then I have been reading your opinions and comments and I finally decided to write my experience. Sorry for my English as I am not English speaker.

1. How did you find this forum?
    looking for secondary side effects of finasteride

2. What is your current age, height, weight?
    37, 177cm, 57kg

3. Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise?
    I used to do a lot of sport like cycling, trekking and jogging

4. What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)?
    Mostly organic healthy

5. Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)?
    hair loss

6. For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)?
    7 years and a half

7. How old were you when you started Finasteride?
    27 years old

8. How old were you when you quit?
    35 years old

9. How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
    cold turkey

10. What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic?
    Propecia

11. What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
    1 mg every day

12. How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects?
    Since the second year

13. What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Put an X beside all that apply:

Sexual
[ x] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ x] Loss of Morning Erections
[x x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[x ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ x] Watery Ejaculate
[xx ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ x] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ x] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ xx] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ x] Depression / Melancholy

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ x] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ x] Weight Gain
[ x] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ xx] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ xx] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ xx] Lowered body temperature

[ x] Other (please explain)
Osteoporosis???

1. What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your
    side effects since discontinuation of the drug?

TRT, Reandron for the secondary hypogonadism
15) If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

After leaving the drug I found the testosterone and DHEA at the bottom. Below the minimum range for my age.

1. Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?

2. Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

I began felling muscle weakness and persistent fatigue while doing exercise. Pain in my legs and confusion and braing fog. difficult to concentrate and lost of libido.
When I started taking it, I noticed watery semen and lost mornig erections but It didn’t matter because hair lost was more important than that. How stupid I was.
I finally decided to quit after finding this forum. I was the best decision of my life. Unfortunatly my libido became worst but my life probably improved. Now I am diagnosed of osteoporosis and I find it very difficult that the doctors believe the drug could made me this damage.

I will be very gratefull if somebody like Mew and Hypo is here, could give me a hand. I know Ostheoporosis is not a normal secondary effects.
I will post blood test the following days. Thanks for your attention.

Hypo-is-Here is currently on hiatus from this forum due to health issues, with no ETA for his return.

How were you diagnosed with Osteoporosis? What tests did they do? A bone mineral density scan?

Judging by your low androgen levels (Testosterone, DHEA – propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2264) it’s not surprising you may be having issues with bone formation. Androgens stimulate healthy bone production and if you are deficient, you are more at risk for things like osteoporosis.

You should investigate getting your endogeneous Testosterone production boosted, via Tamoxifen, Clomid or hCG. Dr. Shippen or Dr. Crisler would be good to see for this.

I have been in touch with another gentleman via email who took the drug for 1 year, and has since been diagnosed with Osteopenia.

Various studies suggest Finasteride “should NOT” have an effect on bone metabolism while taking the drug, and that Testosterone can compensate for the lack of DHT while on it when it comes to maintaining bone mass:

Prolonged treatment with finasteride (a 5α-reductase inhibitor) does not affect bone density and metabolism
www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour … 1&SRETRY=0

The long-term effect of specific type II 5α-reductase inhibition with finasteride on bone mineral density in men: Results of a 4-year placebo controlled trial
cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=13607551

Bone density is normal in male rats treated with finasteride
endo.endojournals.org/cgi/reprint/136/4/1381.pdf

Finasteride therapy does not alter bone turnover in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia–a Clinical Research Center study
jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/reprint/81/3/1031.pdf

However, checkout the attached screenshots from the FDA Propecia Clinical Trials page 29 & 31: fda.gov/cder/foi/nda/97/2078 … EDR_P3.PDF

Note the changes in NTX (elevated) and BSAP (elevated) compared to baseline from Finasteride use in the trials. What could it mean?:

NTX:
According to qrsworldofhealth.com/ntxresults.html :

BSAP:
Bone turnover rate:
parknicollet.com/labtestcata … se%20(BSAP.htm

Bottom line: based on your blood work it would appear you are suffering from Hypogonadism (low testosterone) and adrenal issues (low DHEA) which may be causing you bone problems due to low androgen.

In addition to the various tests suggested in your Hormone thread ( propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2264 ) , you need to investigate wether your low Testosterone is due to primary hypogonadism (testicular failure) or secondary hypogonadism (pituitary failure), and go from there.