NSI-189 for emotional blunting and cognitive boost

Has anyone tried this? A lot of anecdotes have great things to say about this product. Would it be worth trying now, or safer to wait for baylor studies?

this drug promotes neurogenesis in hippocampus, id think that it would help emotional blunting, derealization, brain fog, etc, but its just a wild guess from a desperate guy.

any inputs?

Can you share more info about nsi-189? How far along is that drug?

I think that Sage217 is one that a few people here are following and I believe that is due to market relatively soon. While that’s an anti depressant, I think it’s hoped it could affect other PFS symptoms too.

Sorry if this is off topic. Here’s a link (with some other links contained within)

It’s the first time I’ve heard of it, but it looks interesting.

I’ve looked at this in the past because of my emotional blunting. There are quite a lot of positive anecdotes and people were quite hopeful this would be a novel and effective treatment of depression especially with regard to emotional blunting. Unfortunately, as pointed out in the Wikipedia article above, it failed to meet expectations in phase II clinical trials. The company has pointed out that despite not meeting the primary target, they have measured positive effects on secondary targets and have not given up on the compound. But as far as I can tell, things have been fairly quite over the last 18 months. NSI-189 may have other therapeutic uses, but all these are still in a pre-clinical stages. Chances are very low that this will come to market in the next few years. So there is and will probably be no legal way to purchase this.

Obviously, there is a black market and if you look at depression and nootropic communities you will find quite a few people that have used this compound. The black market is a risky avenue, though, obviously. You never know what you really receive. Positive anecdotes may be placebo effect or straight shilling. The mechanism of action of this compound is not well understood. Who knows what effects this may cause now or in the future. I mean, Finasteride went through clinical trials for more than one condition, has been prescribed for decades and is largely considered safe. And we know this is not true, at least for us. So who knows what a research chemical from China or elsewhere (which may or may not be the real compound and may or may not be “pure”) can cause when even the original compound is not well tested yet.

I am as desperate as anyone to treat my emotional bluntness and from the anecdotes this compound appears interesting. If anyone wants to try this, I will read feedback with interest. But it is worth taking the risks into account.

3 Likes

arguably, Sage-217 has the same type of risk. It’s considered safe, but who knows about the possible complexities hidden in the mechanisms. id also like to think new technology and drugs improve in efficiency, including risks, but no one can know for sure.

yeah apparently Europeans can buy the legit stuff, and don’t have to go through Chinese dealers. Might need to be corrected on that though.

as far as the company goes, they just had some changes in management. Unsure of what that exactly means in context of everything. It could be positive or negative, but I don’t have the knowledge to make a conclusion.

All I know is, i might be considering it in a few months depending on some things. If anyone else is going to try, please update us in this thread or tag us lol.

2 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-018-0334-8

• Phase II Trial of NSI-189 Shows Enhanced Cognition in 220 Subjects, With Mixed Results on its Anti-Depressive Efficacy (Nature, 2019) * Failed to show a statistically significant advantage over placebo on the Montgomery–Åsberg Depression Rating Scale (MADRS) test, but patients reported significant improvement in the self-rated depression scale such as the Symptoms of Depression Questionnaire (SDQ).

• Improved Cognition was also noted on CogScreen (a test to measure cognitive performance): “(NSI-189 40 mg demonstrated significant changes on multiple domains of cognition measured by CogScreen, including response accuracy on an executive function measure assessing mental flexibility, response speed on a measure of choice reaction time, and accuracy on a measure of delayed recall for symbol digit paired associates.)”

During Stage 1 there were no discontinuations for NSI-189 40 mg and 80 mg due to intolerance. In contrast, there were seven discontinuations for placebo due to intolerance. The overall discontinuation rate for the first 6 weeks was significantly higher for placebo ( n = 25, 18.9%) than 40 mg ( n = 4, 9.1%) or 80 mg ( n = 1, 2.3%) ( χ 2 = 8.749, df = 2; p = 0.013). In Stage 2, there was one discontinuation for NSI-189 40 mg, 0 for 80 mg, and 1 for placebo due to intolerance. No subjects randomized to treatment with NSI-189 experienced a serious adverse event during the study.

Safety assessment:

• no tumors
  • no organ failure

Sounds like it’s ready to go then!

2 Likes

you thinking about trying?

Hell no. I think there are more things to worry about than the two points I quoted. I didn’t read the text in the images, I was trying to make a little joke.

1 Like

lmao i had a feeling you were joking, but i just had to ask LOL

also, please expand on your concerns in regards what to worry

Nothing specific at all.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my source for this supplement in case anyone wants to try it. (If you don’t know much about this supplement, it is typically hard to find and this source may actually be forced to cease and desist soon).

I have used it, and I do not believe it is a cure for everything, but as the OP mentioned it does seem to help my emotional blunting, give me a cognitive boost, and reduces depression, therefore I do like to keep it around. Very interesting supplement…

NSI-189 SOURCE

2 Likes

does it still make you “overly emotional”?

thanks!

Yes, if I continue taking it, it appears I will get more and more emotional. Therefore, I typically end up using it only for about a week at a time on average, when I get stuck in a depressive cycle. I have not tried this but I believe if I kept it at a lower dose I could probably take as a daily supplement, long term.

1 Like

If you stop taking it, do you still have your emotions regardless of being depressed or not?

also, would you say that you are more in the “present moment” due to the drug?

how is your sleep on it?

Yes, I do feel more present on it because life seems more vibrant (colors, visual acuity) and worth living. I would akin it to the feel good feeling of caffeine but without the jittery energy feeling.

And it’s hard to explain but I do seem to keep at least some of the emotional gains I make while taking it, for example if I completely forgot how an emotion feels, I might experience it while on the supplement and through experiencing it again, it seems that emotion becomes more easily accessible and I become re-sensitized to that emotion. If I keep taking it, it does literally feel like I am growing new hippocampus neurons, which is the MOA. It’s very hard to explain that feeling.

If the dose is too high it does start interfering with my sleep so its best taken upon waking, because it is stimulating and lasts probably about as long as caffeine does.

2 Likes

great! glad to see you doing well on it.

Do you meditate by any chance? sitting down for 30-40 minutes and doing breath meditation

I have not meditated since I crashed, I am however currently doing yoga stretches and belly breathes specifically for pelvic floor issues. Which I would recommend everyone do, especially those with penile issues. Thanks for the reminder about meditating I think I’m going to start that again, have you found meditation to help your symptoms?