New sufferer and worried about the future

Fin does not stay in body, but the havoc it creates stays for a long time

Hey Telpek,

I did some searching and found the following.

There is evidence indicating that the longer someone takes finasteride, the higher the risk of developing PFS. Additionally, although the drug is eliminated from the blood relatively quickly (half-life 4.8 to 6 hours), it remains active for much longer because it irreversibly binds to (and blocks the normal functioning of) the target enzyme 5-alpha-reductase (half-life 30 days). After finasteride is discontinued, the body must produce new 5-alpha-reductase molecules to replace the ones that were inactivated by the finasteride. In other words, the biological effects of finasteride ensure a relatively slow tapering of the “drug effect” over about 30 to 60 days, even if you stop the drug cold turkey.

But why are we still suffering after so many months/years?

I dont know brother, the article states that taking it for a longer time increases the risks of PFS (chronic/long term issues).

Im almost one month off. So im hoping that I will be seeing progress, especially in the tinnitus department. This symptom is currently bothering me the most…

My tinnitus is still going strong even after almost 5 months((

im curious is it a high pitched sound? both ears?

It varies. At the moment in both ears. Usually in the right one only

1 Like

How do you guys cope with the suicidal thoughts? Realising what I have done to myself and the fact that I am struggling to function with my job, friends and family is eating away at me every minute of the day. It has been less than three weeks since I stopped taking finasteride, however I have already let my work know that I am struggling to function due to the cognitive issues I am experiencing. My family and ex-girlfriend are the only people keeping me going.

@aw93 you are still early in the process my friend.

I am currently 4 weeks off fin and the last 4 days I have experienced some major progress in my depression/mood and cognitive function.

The last 4 weeks were pure hell for me and I am very grateful for the mindstate that I am currently in. I actualy have a feeling that I can beat this at this very moment Im typing this. Hope I wont regress in the next couple of days though. Hang in there you will experience some positive changes in the next week.

As you could read in my previous post after finasteride is discontinued, the body must produce new 5-alpha-reductase molecules to replace the ones that were inactivated by the finasteride. It can take up to 30 to 60 days for the drug effect to taper off.

Could you please provide a link for this? It’s contrary to the patient experiences on this forum.

@aw93 Severe depression disappeared after 4 months, but still experience emotional flatness and cognitive problems. Not sure if I ever get better. Have you reported your sides to the yellow card?

explain this to me?

The Belknap study found an increased risk of permeant ED with longer exposure to 5ar-I, thats the only evidence i’m aware of.

2 Likes

The statement you quoted implies an increasing risk with a longer duration of treatment, while the member stories here imply one’s risk is independent of duration. For instance, the members who developed PFS after only weeks or months on the drug appear to outnumber those who took it for years.

More information about duration of treatment among our entire membership who completed the survey:

3 Likes

I see, didnt know that.
Actually the information comes from the PFS foundation…
Here’s a link.

Q: I understand we don’t know which is riskier, quitting finasteride or staying on it, but I still want to quit. Should I stop taking the drug cold turkey, or gradually taper off it?

There is evidence indicating that the longer someone takes finasteride, the higher the risk of developing PFS. Additionally, although the drug is eliminated from the blood relatively quickly (half-life 4.8 to 6 hours), it remains active for much longer because it irreversibly binds to (and blocks the normal functioning of) the target enzyme 5-alpha-reductase (half-life 30 days). After finasteride is discontinued, the body must produce new 5-alpha-reductase molecules to replace the ones that were inactivated by the finasteride. In other words, the biological effects of finasteride ensure a relatively slow tapering of the “drug effect” over about 30 to 60 days, even if you stop the drug cold turkey. All these factors would indicate that tapering off finasteride offers no advantage compared to abruptly stopping the drug. On the other hand, there are reports of people developing PFS within a few days of stopping finasteride. This would suggest that tapering might be a safer approach. The bottom line is that no one knows if tapering off is safer than abruptly discontinuing the drug. But we do know for sure that once someone develops PFS, their symptoms typically increase in severity in proportion to the length of time they took finasteride.

1 Like

Wow. I understand that they cited the Belknap study, but not sure where the last line came from.

Seriously?

dont know about that brother, is that the case?

Don’t think so. It would make sense if it was something like lead poisoning or if severity of side effects was dependent on cumulative dosage, but that appears to not be the case. Not sure where the author came up with this info.

On a somewhat positive note for you, a lot of people recover a great deal during the first 6-months to year after stopping. You can find many anecdotes to support this if you sort through the members stories.

1 Like

i am just 4 weeks off fin, i do notice progress brother.
im praying that i can look back at this as a bad dream a month from now. :pray:

1 Like