Long Term Use of Systematic 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors and Risk of Immune Disorders

Emails from Stephen Foote, author of “The hydraulic influence in androgen-related hair growth: implications in autoimmune disease”, addressing concerns about long term use of systematic 5-alpha reductase (finasteride) and risk of immune disorders.

Theory abstract:
journals.elsevierhealth.com/ … 1/abstract

Complete article:
hairsite2.com/library/abst-167.htm

This theory and the author behind it are of course still debateable… however, what’s interesting is his attempts to get in touch with Merck to confirm autoimmune issues as a result of their drug.

Debate about his proposed theory: hairlosstalk.com/interact/v … ia#p118595

Long Term Use of Systematic 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors and Risk of Immune Disorders

hairsite2.com/library/abst-168.htm

Date Sep 18, 2001
Article # 168
Title Long Term Use of Systematic 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors and Risk of Immune Disorders
Source Mr. Stephen I. Foote
Category Consumer Alert & Oral Medications

The following email from Mr. Stephen Foote addressed concerns about long term use of systematic 5-alpha reductase (finasteride) and risk of immune disorders. The email was reprinted with minor modifications in order to fit the format of our library.

Sep, 2001
Dear Hairsite.

Thank you for your email of the 17 Sept. I am the author of the paper currently published in HairSite. My research is currently being reviewed for possible publication in the journal Medical Hypotheses.

Because of the reaction this proposal has received to date, I would welcome the support of HairSite in my quest for an answer to the “Bottom Line” question that this generates.

The predicted effect of 5-alpha reductase inhibitors like Finasteride (Merck&Co) upon tissue immunology would confirm this proposed primary action of DHT. This would have automatic therapeutic consequences in a number of gender related conditions, including more effective targeting of male hair loss.

Unfortunately, this would also demonstrate that the long term use of systematic 5-alpha reductase inhibitors would significantly increase risk of immune disorders. This is not currently recognized in the data.

[b]Through my correspondence with Merck&Co and the drug licensing authorities, it is clear that it is now known if Finasteride has this predicted effect or not.

The problem is that there is no legal obligation that specific effects of drugs be disclosed, and to date there has been a consistent refusal to respond to this question.

I am now sure that if Finasteride did not have this effect, this would have been willingly stated by now.[/b]

I therefore now feel that a general awareness of this important question, would help to generate a response to this, and I would welcome your support here.

Best wishes. Stephen Foote

2nd email to HairSite:
Sep 2001

Dear Hairsite:

Please invite your discussion group for feedback on this topic.

I have now been involved in this matter for over six years, and I think a summary of documented events would be informative.

Initially the manufacturer of Propecia (Merck&Co) accepted this explanation for the effects of DHT upon hair growth. I have a letter from them in which they thank me for bringing this discovery to their attention.

However, once it was realized that this would question the effectiveness and long term safety of propecia, Merck&Co have refused to comment further. The English drug control agency (the M.C.A.) assured me that they would investigate this safety question.

At this time (Nov97), the publicity suggested that Propecia would be available in England within weeks on private prescription. However you will note that almost four years on, Propecia is still not being made available in England as expected. Why?

This action of DHT suggests a strategy for the effective treatment of male hair loss. In order to demonstrate the validity of this, it is necessary to confirm the predicted effects of finasteride/propecia as described in my paper. As it stands however, the relevant data is being withheld because of existing interests.

Best Wishes Stephen Foote

Mr. Foote has posted on Hairlosstalk.com for many years since he wrote the above. Here is a post from 2004 he made about this topic:

hairlosstalk.com/interact/v … 12#p107912

Bryan Said:

I have to question your very un-scientific assumption here Bryan?

The pseudohermaphrodites studied are very few in number, 47 as i recall. More importantly, they all share a common genetic background which is why they inherited the condition in the first place!

Their particular genetic package' may not dispose them to a whole range of medical conditions, that other people may inherit through their’ particular genetic background. Reducing DHT in some people could therefore interact with a pre-disposition to cause adverse events?

For example, autoimmune diseases run in families, so there is some kind of genetic pre-disposition. My theory predicts that reducing levels of DHT will create significant changes in tissue immunology. If so, this would increase risk of autoimmune disease in individuals with an existing pre-disposition.

I put this question to Merck and the FDA, and the CSM here in England. I asked if Finasteride did cause this predicted change in tissue immunology?

Merck, the FDA and the CSM, all refused to comment on this question. I tried every avenue i could to get a response over a considerable period. My member of Parliment even tried to get a reply directly from the Dept of Health here. They just said this was confidential information!

My view is, if Finasteride does `NOT’ have the predicted effect, why not just say so!

S Foote.

1 Like

Anyone else think this is amazing and what happened with this

3 Likes