Is accutane 5AR inhibitor

I took propecia in 2000 or so and didn’t really have much trouble. Actually I was over-horny for so many years and I havent lost hair comparing to my twin borther. Then I took accutane in 2013 and every symptom of propecia revealed. Ed, shrinkage, zero libido, tinnitus, tremor, vision problems, panick attacks, brain fog, hair loss, hair thinning, muscle loss, low urine flow, everything. Accutane triggered something. So, accutane is definitely similar to propecia.

Joe Rogan’s show talking about Accutane which was known to ruin lives since the 80s and 90s
youtu.be/LsOXcthu2oo?t=9m22s

medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a681043.html

“Isotretinoin may cause the bones to stop growing too soon in teenagers. Talk to your child’s doctor about the risks of giving this medication to your child.”

“you should know that isotretinoin may cause changes in your thoughts, behavior, or mental health. Some patients who took isotretinoin have developed depression or psychosis (loss of contact with reality), have become violent, have thought about killing or hurting themselves, and have tried or succeeded in doing so.”

drugwatch.com/accutane/
“After the FDA approved Accutane (Isotretinoin) in 1982, it quickly became a popular treatment for severe acne. Millions of Americans took the drug, which was 85 percent effective. But shortly after arriving on the market, researchers linked the drug to serious birth defects and stomach problems. Roche withdrew the brand name drug from the market in 2009, but it is still available in generic form.”

"Isotretinoin must not be taken by patients who are pregnant or who may become pregnant. There is a high risk that isotretinoin will cause loss of the pregnancy, or will cause the baby to be born too early, to die shortly after birth, or to be born with birth defects (physical problems that are present at birth).

A program called iPLEDGE has been set up to make sure that pregnant women do not take isotretinoin and that women do not become pregnant while taking isotretinoin. All patients, including women who cannot become pregnant and men, can get isotretinoin only if they are registered with iPLEDGE, have a prescription from a doctor who is registered with iPLEDGE and fill the prescription at a pharmacy that is registered with iPLEDGE. Do not buy isotretinoin over the internet."

“In 2006, a stricter system called the iPLEDGE program replaced SMART. The computer-based system required registration by pharmacies, doctors and patients. Patients had to get negative pregnancy tests from approved labs before receiving the medication. Prescriptions only covered 30 days at a time, and users were required to utilize two types of birth control.”

I took accutane at the age of 17 or 18 and I need to know if it stunted my dick growth,is this possible? I googled it but found nothing,please help me if it took away all my DHT does that mean I lost out on valubale inches?

1 Like

Hello everyone

During seven years, I took accutane. I have notifed hair thinning, some hair loss, especialy during the treatment. In my family, nobody have hairloss (not my father, not the father of my mother, and not the father of my father). Today, I don’t lose not more 20-40 hair/day.

But, my question is, if the accutane reduce 5A inhibitor and DHT, why we lose hair during (and sometine after) the treatment ?

1 Like

I’m interested in this too as i continue to see hair thinning and mild recession due to the thinning, my hair body wide is weak and falls out if pulled a little and I’ve actually gained hair growth in places such as upper cheeks and the top of my hands which I never had previously, if it’s an androgen over expression I’d presume that’s why, too much androgens would lead or hair loss but since it’s not genetic, I’d presume it would regrow if we manage to fix the issue, just annoying since my hair was so thick I’d need a haircut every week before accutane, now i don’t get it cut much at all, maybe every two months if I’m lucky. Or on the other hand it could be a form of chronic telogen effluvium which is probably related to shock state the body’s in from the body’s hormones not being used efficiently.

1 Like

Hello Devolution

Did you stop accutane since when?

Me, since five years. The situation with my hair is better, since I have change my alimentation, but this is not like before unfortunatly…

1 Like

If I am not wrong, accutane is 5AR inhibitor, type 1 and finasteride type 2.
The responsible for the hair is type 2, and for skin type 1.

I have used accutane years before than finasteride, without any side effect but this is true I started loosing hair by that date, but I never thought it could be due to the accutane…I knew nothing about these drugs by then…

some honest dermatologists admit that there is a link between hair loss and accutane.

And, the hair loss type with accutane, apparently, haven’t no link with “traditionnal” hair loss (due to DHT).

About your hair loss, propecia work for you ? Me, I have experiment minoxidyl during one year, it was useless.

I took finasteride, it works incredible well for alopecia, but also for impotence and PFS afterwards.

Regards.

Hey Valentin,
I stopped accutane 11 month’s ago and didn’t notice the hair loss till 3 months after stopping as my scalp got painful and my hair just felt dry and flakey.
That’s great to hear you’ve bad some improvement and hopefully some day you can get it back to normal or near to that.

May i ask what has helped with your hair? I tried biotin and Nizoral before i learned about PFS and neither did anything.

Hi Devolution, hi everyone,

So, if you have take accutane, I suppose you have some probleme of irritation of the scalp (dermite or something close to the psoriasis). It’s a problem for the hair growth.
For several years, I had some problem like this. For to fight this, I have change my lifestyle. Today, I stopped to eat or drink : milk, some food with gluten (especialy withe braid, but I continue to eat pasta), and the excess of sugar (especialy soda).
Now I wash my hair with just water, and sometime (if I have a problem of eczema, but since I have change my lifestyle it’s very rare), I take a shampoo with selenium or zinc.

Biotin apparently it’s not very efficient, but in my case, cystine and zinc works. Personnaly, I try to do a maximum of physical exercise (but I always be sportive person), and mostly pass time outside of my house (or the office of my job), it’s important to take some air (I don’t know if you say like that in english ^^). A thing who is very efficient it’s the water of the see (trust me, I have testing myself), if you have the time to past a week-end at the sea, it’s a good idea (the air of the beach and the water of the sea is very well).

Normally I’m not a nutrinazi :smile: but with accutane, I think we had a shock, especially kidney and liver (that’s why we lose hair and we’re weak), it’s important to heal. I hope these tips will help you, in my case it works.

1 Like

Kidney and liver…it’s funny because this is what an ex-member of the forum (who said that he find a cure) said that we should focus on them.
But he didn’t give us any other clue.

Regards.

He didn’t give your some tips or clue of the kidney and liver ? Why he didn’t give you a solution ?

Me, I’m modest, I don’t know if the solution who I propose is good for everyone, but since I have do that, I have no probleme of skin.
The reason who I have tryed this solution, it’s after a discussion with a doctor who explained me the problem of accutane : it’s like a overdose of vitamin A (or excess of meat), and it’s very bad for the body in general.

About the liver problem and lipid augmentation, we have this : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22714752

1 Like

I used 20 mg and it killed me. Please don’t take any amount.