I was thinking about starting finasteride, but after reading this site i guess i won't anymore?

I’m 23 years old, and although i’m not balding that bad i would say i’m at a level 1.5 of Norwood. I was thinking about using finasteride to stop my temples from balding, which it is already slowly. I was going to use finasteride and minoxidil with dermaroller to stop hair miniaturization in my temples and make it grow back.

I’ve saw some youtube videos of 2 doctors, with a channel called The Hair Loss Show, and they explained that with thousands of patients that they treated, only a short amount of them got bad side effects, and that a lot of people get bad side effects because they use 1g of finasteride every day 7 days per week, which is not necessary because 1g 3 days per week is enough to keep your hair.

That convinced me and i was thinking about starting usin fin, but after i’ve read some threads here about men saying they got a whole bunch of fucked up side effects i’m really disconsidering starting to use fin. What do you guys think?

I’m pretty healthy and i think i have high T levels

2 Likes

I heard a joke the other day that went something like “5/6 people think Russian Roulette is completely harmless.”

Being that this site is meant strictly for those who have had long-term, often life-altering, side-effects; I’m not sure what would give you the impression anyone here would encourage you to take the risk, even if you believe it to be negligible.

An assumption that this condition results from low T or that previous health determines susceptibility to PFS. There’s no evidence of either.

3 Likes

For heaven’s sake! Please dont take the risk! Enjoy your life as healthy person, hairloss wont ruin your life

3 Likes

This is inaccurate in relation to Post Finasteride Syndrome, which is different from on-drug side effects (in fact, I’m not aware of any data that shows 1 mg 3 days a week reduces the incidence of on-drug side effects either). Many patients have developed Post Finasteride Syndrome from as little as one dose or 1 mg. The predisposition to the disease is currently unknown so starting the drug is an enormous risk, a risk that somebody who hasn’t got PFS would find very difficult to comprehend.

There are members here who listened to those 2 hair transplant surgeons and then thought the drug was relatively benign or that they could mitigate any dangers there might be with specific dosing schedules

If you read their stories, you’ll see that different dosing did nothing to prevent what happened to them. My advice to you would be to shave your head/get a hair transplant/get a hair system. Do not take finasteride.

5 Likes

I’ve been in this shit for the last 3 years I’ve tried TRT and a bunch of supplements and nothing works you can believe us or the guys on YouTube your choice but if you get fucked from finasteride don’t even bother making another account on here because we told you so.

1 Like

And you’ll be able to find plenty of people here who believed the guys on YouTube.

3 Likes

yeah dont take any fin or minoxi bro

use microneedling dermapen’s by itself if you must for hair

in a year or 2 you will have really good safe hair restoration either way

dont play russian roullete with finasteride and minoxidil (they both do the same exact thing in the body)

you dont know how many bullets are in the chambers

2 Likes

Every single one of us would KILL to be able to go back in time and cry and scream furiously into the face of our former selves as we debated taking finasteride.

This is life-altering and truly horrible in ways I had utterly no concept of being possible in the years before I took fin. I never imagined my formerly healthy, weightlifter’s body could be DESTROYED by 8-9 pills of finasteride. I didn’t believe any of the stories of permanent side effects, believed all Merck’s promises about sides abating…

God I would trade anything and everything I have to go back now and be in your shoes and get the chance to throw those pills away and never know this life.

Don’t even think about taking it. Don’t let anyone you know or care about take it. Flush it all and walk away.

9 Likes

Doesn’t matter. You can be in excellent shape, have great tolerance to stress, perfect cognition. Despite what is said about PFS or these forums, this condition does not just “prey on the weak” so to speak. For whatever reason, Finasteride can cause completely life-altering changes to your mind, skin, muscles, hair, senses, coordination, and whatever else you can imagine lol. The effects can be so ridiculous actually, that if you’ve never experienced PFS first-hand, you would believe they are made up. I did.

You can find many men who were quite healthy, fit, and confident prior to taking that shit. Hopefully some of the replies here can help you make your mind up.

If you can, think about it this way: you do decide to take Finasteride and ignore the horror stories. And it screws you up. What then? You can find posts on this forum that go back 15 years about trying every hormone treatment, supplement, herb, and lifestyle change you could possibly imagine with no improvement, or a worsening in symptoms. Some guys get better with time, though it seems that most don’t. Take it from a guy who was quite healthy myself & believed all the stories about PFS to be bullshit. Nothing is worth risking your health.

7 Likes

Yes emphasis on this bit. I also went into taking fin thinking it was only weak people who got sides and only insecure idiots who justified staying on it when their dicks didn’t work. And that I’d just get off it if and when that happened and all would be fine. Was just a whole different LIFE back then, remembering it and recalling who I was.

Was hardly Schwarzenegger I will admit but I was a fairly big guy (note not someone who just “went to the gym” I have a 130kg bench and curled sets of 25kg/arm - I had muscle) and I used to be a Thai boxer of many years.

Was either 8 or 9 pills of fin two years ago. I could not have fathomed the horror (and it is HORROR) of the mental sides. That view of the world you have now where you dwell happily in it, that GOES. As in that all vanishes and it’s just a seething, buzzing horror.

No sleep. You can’t sleep at all.

Sexual sides are of course HORRIFIC but they’re only part of the problem. It is a perfect, perfect, engineered sort of torture your darkest imagination just can’t conceive of until you become DROWNED in it.

DO NOT TAKE FINASTERIDE. IT IS DANGEROUS.

3 Likes

It’s not worth it. Do not do it.

1 Like

I also thought this. Prior health status or T levels or mental strength or toughness has no relation to how susceptible you are to the side effects. There’s no known way to mitigate the risk if you take fin. So you’re playing russian roulette even with a single dose.

Finasteride made me ill in ways I couldn’t even conceive of. It would’ve been impossible to describe to my pre-fin self, because I had not experienced anything remotely like it. How do you begin to describe the feeling of becoming a different person, or suddenly inhabiting a body that doesn’t feel like your own anymore?

+1 to this.

Imagine having your sexuality, your personality, your relationships, everything taken away from you, but then being unable to feel sad or angry about it, because your emotions have also been taken away. It’s almost too dreadful to describe.

Why risk any of this?

5 Likes

Pretty much every person on here will tell you the same thing. Under NO circumstances should you ever touch the stuff.

I thought the same way; I was healthy, young, virile, normal guy who never got ill from anything. Surely I would be fine; the people who got sick were probably unhealthy predisposed individuals who didn’t take care of themselves.

This has destroyed my life in almost every way I can imagine. It’s not just your sexuality; (which of course, will disappear), it’s your brain reward system as a whole. You lose interest in everything, you lose all your relationships, you lose the normal daily drive that always seemed so easy to rely on and access, you have no understanding of why you would even want anything you once found enjoyable, much less a woman. You become an entirely different person - one who can simply observe their old self disappearing and yet be able to do absolutely nothing about it. It’s an almost surreal, peculiar kind of nightmare that no one can really even describe effectively. It’s honestly unreal.

The worst part about it - doctors mostly think you’re nuts, and have no way to help you…

I’m still kind of in shock this stuff is on the market and so easy to get; I really have a hard time wrapping my head around that. The one thing I would say; is IF THERE WAS A PROTOCOL OR CURE THAT COULD TREAT PFS then maybe, just mayyyyybe, it would be worth a gamble in that case. If the worst case happened, then you could at least rely on a treatment to correct what Finasteride did. But there isn’t one. When put this way, this risk is simply not even close to being even half-way worth it. It can take away your entire meaning of existence, and then you’re stuck in a hole begging for people to listen and help you, with no discernable cure anywhere on the horizon.

Walk away, save some money for transplants, go to Columbia to get them done cheaper if you have to. Do anything but this stuff. DO NOT TAKE PROPECIA.

6 Likes

I’m not gonna be one of those fearmongers who tell you that fin is guaranteed to destroy your dick. Chances are that you won’t suffer from persistent side effects. HOWEVER, I’d say that the odds of persistent sides are too high for how devastating they are, and that makes fin not worth taking.

1 Like

Taking Finasteride is an exceptionally poor idea. Many of my friends are shedding hair or have got rid of all of it. They get women (or in some cases men, if that is what those guys enjoy) because they have learned to build an attractive life. Life is not your hair.

Personally, I badly damaged myself over a skin condition (severe acne - Google image that shit). I accepted a prescription for Accutane. This then badly damaged my health. I took Accutane because I wanted to fuck girls and stop people yelling at me in the street about my acne. Unfortunately the Accutane badly injured my health and meant that I had untold side effects that the doctor never told me about. My ability to fucking girls - the thing that I wanted to do most - was badly hit by the Accutane. Now, I am on this website still, about 15 years after taking the stupid fucking Accutane. I have been looking at these side effects sites for 15 fucking years. Do you want that?

2 Likes

I’d tackle the hairloss like this, as an experiment.

Shave it all off in one go, one weekend.

If you have to explain it to people at your work/ studies, tell them the following.

You showed up at a small party with your friends at the weekend. You were very tired from a long day of sports/ walking/ running/ bicycle/ helping family move their stuff/ studying/ helping your friend with stuff. You fell asleep on a sofa in the back room. Your friends were still drinking into the early hours. You woke up with a small burning on your hair and then someone emptied a bucket of cold water onto your head! Someone had set fire to your hair and then someone instantly dropped cold water onto it! You were angry and left. Next day you shaved it all off because it looked bad after it got singed.

On the next day you all went for drinks and they bought you a few drinks and food to apologize. You then saw the funny side of it, and everything was cool again.

After that, maybe you maintained it shaved because you just preferred it. You enjoyed that it makes you feel like a nightclub security/ zen buddhist/ private security/ football hooligan/ Jeff Bezos. That would be a cool joke if anyone asks.

1 Like

@Scott.H you tried everything, but There is no cure. How do you arrange now with your Situation
I’m on a Bad Trip for six weeks
It’s told wait 3 Months an There is a posybillity for Recovery. I don’t belive that anymore. Things became worser
Noone ever with pfs symptomes got a total Recovery of Sexuall Sites. I’m 60 yo. And INSIDE Im running Amok - why I Took this fucking prostain Fin pills.

Hey @Exsexgod, I feel your pain and I hope the best for you along with every one else here.

I don’t really respond too much anymore these days, but I do check in almost every other day to keep up to date with discussions. Status update for me, like most others, is I have some good days and I have some bad days. I’m coming on a little over four years now with PFS; so my mind has had some time to accept and adapt to the syndrome. I’ve had many “breakthrough” moments where I thought I’d found a system that really works, but in-large, my symptoms are all still very much there, but HAVE marginally improved. Whether these improvements are simply due to time or the various protocol/supplements, I can’t be sure.

Things that have definitely had a consistent effect:

• A STRICT carnivore diet for a 1-3 months is the one thing where it felt like my body was truly healing, and my erections have maintained a great deal ever since I did this a while ago. When all you’re doing is fueling your body with amino acids from meat, it drastically lowers any inflammation, causes some good weight loss, and gets your body into a state of ketosis for a bit. It definitely gives your body the best opportunity to heal, but there’s no guarantee it will. You certainly “feel” good while on it, but whether this is actually having a genuine healing effect on our symptoms is still somewhat controversial on this forum and elsewhere. I certain had real benefits from it.

• Yoga almost always gets my reward system working again, although only temporarily. It’s really the best stress reliever, but more importantly releases a cascade of neurotransmitters for the parasympathetic nervous system, while also clearing out stressors such as lactic acid, cortisol, etc.

In terms of drugs, almost everything has only had a fleeting/temporary effect; most have done next to nothing. However, I plan on doing the low-dose HCG which does look promising, and has some sound science behind it, but I can’t seem to find a single reliable source for HCG.

Today I am able to have erections (they are about 60% of what they used to be), I have less brain fog, I’m starting to have some feelings here and there again, and I can for the most part get through my day. But of course, these all compare in comparison to how I was pre-finasteride. I still have next to no libido, and my daily motivation is all but shot. I do notice that when I drink alcohol, certain elements turn on again, and its the closest to a return to normal libido I get. There’s clearly something going on with the Gaba/Glutamate/dopamine/serotonin dance in the brain. Of course, one can’t really just drink alcohol all the time.

One thing which is always frustrating to hear is that this forum can cause a ton of additional headaches. It helps to take some time away, and just start accepting your state and moving forward with your life, as hard as it sometimes seems to be. I love everyone here, and have the utmost empathy for what everyone is going through. Having said that, the nature of this syndrome creates a lot of desperation; which leads to a LOT of crazy on this forum. You get people who are grasping for recoveries and develop a stubborn ‘certainty’ about a particular solution or insight. You start to learn how to quickly scan for any recent developments that a few members may have hit on, and quickly discard the rest. I have so much sympathy for everyone here, but I can attest that it’s really easy to get sucked into one element of this syndrome and get latched on to one theory/cure/protocol etc.

You begin to lose the forest for the trees, and before you know it you have a very skewed view of PFS and even how the human body really works. It’s very easy to get sucked into; but alas, there’s really no other way for a group of people like us to go about it. So my recommendation would be to be very discerning with what you choose to believe here.

I wish I had better recommendations for you and others, but as far as I’ve concluded, the best route is to simply start trying different things and see which work for you, and which don’t. My current plan is to get on carnivore again, and then partner with a truly good hormone doctor who can read sensitive blood tests, and work really work with them. It seems the trick here is to start slow, with small doses, and really let things take time. The often-said consensus is that you really don’t now what lasting affect injectable testosterone is truly having on you until after 1 year on it. If anyone else has any tips, always open to hear it.

Anyway, that’s my rant/update - I wish everyone the best!

1 Like

I wounder - most here in the forum between 18 and 39 Years old - how you learned to accept your new situation. And I with my 60 years I still run emotionally Amok. I have No doubt about a live with pfs. I lay at my terrasse in the half Shadow of a Markise and watch to the neibours. I Like IT Not to bei allone.

Man I don’t think I’ve seen this many spot on descriptions of PFS in one thread, so much poetry here.

That view of the world you have now where you dwell happily in it, that GOES. As in that all vanishes and it’s just a seething, buzzing horror ~jinstewart

It can take away your entire meaning of existence, and then you’re stuck in a hole begging for people to listen and help you ~Scott.H

I see the OP hasn’t been back. Fortunate motherfucker to come here and get the straight dope.

2 Likes