I "cured" myself of PFS

KETO/Carnivore isn’t a sure way to recovery. Carnivore alone in my case would be an ultimate disaster based on my microbiome analysis. My F/B ratio is 1.5 (healthy ave. 2.1), so I’ve low firmicutes or relatively high bacteroidetes. Keto is reported to reduce firmicutes further and this translates to more problems and probably increased autoimmunity because certain genus under firmicutes are the butyrate (e.g. faecalibacterium prausnitzii and clostridium) and other SCFAs producers. Butyrate antagonizes lactate (particulary D-lacate that’s in question). IMO, diet is individual and it must be tailored based on presented data and facts. It simply isn’t universal.

1 Like

Would you be willing to share some of the reasons you try to stick with these diets? Just curious what benefits you’ve witnessed. I see a dual theoretical benefit: (1) the anti-inflammatory to address possible autoimmune component to our conditions and (2) the potential to reset epigenome.

Yes, of course. Although I have to apologize again for not reading the OP more carefully. Since the OP mentioned the carnivore diet and since his goal appears to be to reduce inflammation and auto-immune reactions I hope this doesn’t stray too far off-topic. And as has been pointed out, it seems that individual response can vary significantly and there is never any guarantee that any one approach will give anyone relief, or even that it won’t make their symptoms worse.

I agree that the two factors you’ve pointed out could be potential benefits although I am not familiar enough with the science to go into further depth on them. Another factor for me is that keto along with intermittent fasting can make it easier for some people, myself included, to improve body composition. My understanding is that adipose tissue is estrogenic so it seems to me to be important to make yourself reasonably lean if it can help lower estrogen. Although I haven’t read any reports on the effect on weight loss or body re-composition on PFS. Knowing our luck, it might even make things worse for all I know. But from what I’ve learned keto/carnivore appears like it can be a healthy diet that’s good for body composition and mental clarity and I would definitely experiment with it even if I wasn’t suffering from PFS.

Anecdotally, I’ve experienced some relief from my neurological symptoms while on the ketogenic diet, although nothing like a full recovery. Alleviation of neurological symptoms seem to be a common theme in reports I’ve read as well.

One incredible difference that I can definitely attest to in my case though is that all my gastrointestinal problems completely disappeared after a few weeks on keto. I used to have to visit the bathroom 3-5 times every morning, always with urgency and preceded by cramps. Went to the doctor to investigate and they found absolutely no cause for it. But after being ketogenic I became regular as can be. It’s far from my worst symptom but it still made a huge difference.

Another benefit is that a ketogenic diet, especially a carnivore diet, is probably the ultimate elimination diet. It seems impossible to predict all the different things that PFS sufferers will react negatively to so it appears to be a major benefit to be able to cut everything from your diet that has the potential to make your symptoms worse. Of course that also eliminates another factor when you track your symptoms. I think it helps to change one thing at a time and monitor changes and by keeping your diet simple it’s easier to notice things.

Those are probably the main benefits I see. Like I’ve said though, I’ve struggled to stick with it. As I understand it the benefits tend to accrue over time as you get more fat adapted and there are reports on the forums from people who have managed to stick with it much longer than I have. The two benefits you mentioned would be two of the things I think that don’t happen overnight but take a long time to gradually improve.

take bile it will go away

I’m sorry that’s bs, i have every symptom you can think of besides sexual and it’s definitely pfs

edit: I take back what i said, It seems the sexual symptoms of PFS are more variable than I thought they were.

2 Likes

I have some ED but kept all sensitivity since the beginning. (Over 3 years now)

edit: I take back what i said, It seems the sexual symptoms of PFS are more variable than I thought they were

I think all patients need to understand that this disease is multi-systemic and has a high degree of variability, in both symptoms experienced and the severity of those symptoms.

Patients saying to each other “you don’t have PFS” or “you have PFS” because it matches or doesn’t match with their symptoms is very similar behaviour to asymptomatic users of finasteride saying this condition can’t be possible.

Please, be kind to one another.

8 Likes

This is a bit of a red flag. Or a number of red flags.

Plenty of people here have cognitive problems resolve before physical ones.

Do we know that pfs patients have “neuroinflamation”?

How and where did you do the research?

How will I know if it’s too late?!?! I’d better start now!

2 Likes