Has anyone tried Saw Palmetto or fin after developing pfs?

This paragraph scares me the most:

" It should be noted that 5α-RIs alter cellular biology with uncertain outcomes. For example, treatment of animals with 5α-RIs resulted in marked increase in the expression of the AR [70]. The implication of such dysfunctional metabolism may contribute to loss of androgen dependence and to acquisition of high-grade tumors. In addition, Yun et al. [71] postulated that finasteride increases expression of hemoxygenase-1 and other related factors in PCa cell lines (PC-3). The authors suggested that finasteride-induced alteration in gene expression may be in part responsible for finasteride-induced high grade prostate tumors [71]. It is not surprising that Theoret et al. [15] reported a significantly number of high grade tumors (Fig. 4), with finasteride and dutasteride in the data from the PCPT [14] and REDUCE trials [13] respectively, even after using the revised Gleason scoring system [15].

I’m really worried that I could have cancer. I’ve had an ache on my member on the right side near the base since March (it’s hurting considerably as I type this), other aches in the prostate area, urination issues, they found nodules on my liver during an ultrasound. Man, this is so bad.

1 Like

@Wings, I agree that this is extremely scary. I have read personal stories of men getting diagnosed with testicular cancer after having taken finasteride, and of course reading about all the evidence for high grade prostate cancer as a result of Finasteride. I myself had sharp pain in my balls, perineum and the base/side of my penis for about a year, during which time I was convinced I was going to get testicular or prostate cancer. It is now a year since I have last had the pain and I haven’t gotten cancer yet, not that I have been examined. So it is definitely not hard to convince yourself that you are about to get cancer from reading about this and having the pain.

The way I dealt with this particular problem was to just fully accept the absolute worst – I was dead, they had killed me, I was done. It is not an easy place to be, especially if you need to get up every day for a job, which luckily I didn’t have to at the time, so I just wallowed in self-pity all day. After a while I started thinking - OK, now that I have all but died, every day is a bonus, so let’s just see what I can do - out of curiosity. I can’t say I still don’t think about death every day but it is a bit easier. If I get cancer I am ready to face it.

Having the cancer consideration at the back of my mind has been one of the reasons I haven’t tried any T-boosting supplements and protocols. That and my quickly thinning hair. I have thought of trying Tribulus for example but I am afraid of what increasing DHT might do to my body. So I haven’t tried anything and I am just sitting and waiting (while life is passing me by). I don’t know which is worse.

2 Likes

I read your post and cannot understand for the life of me why you haven’t sought medical advice to have tests done in order of finding out if you have any health issues especially when considering something as serious as cancer.
Until you get checked out you will not be able to move forward mentally or physically you really do have to make an appointment soon as possible.

2 Likes

@Baz44uk Is right, get checked out so you can stop worrying about it.

2 Likes

@Baz44uk @Greek Hey guys, thanks for your concern and suggestion. I don’t really worry about it any more, however, for a couple of reasons. First, I don’t have pain any more, for the past year. Second, simply put - I have accepted death, as grisly as that sounds. Let’s just say that if you stopped hearing from me on this forum, it wouldn’t be because I died of cancer.

Now, assume I were worried and went to the doctor. Most of you probably live in countries with good health care but I do not. If I went to my GP and told her I have pain in my balls and I suspect it might be cancer the most I would get is a pat down on my balls. If I wanted any serious test such as ultra-sound or MRI I would have to pay for it out of pocket – money that I don’t have. Obviously I would also have to stay silent about finasteride because no doctor knows or believes that theory so they would only think I am a hypochondriac if I bring it up.

Finally, pain in the nether regions is one of the most frequent side effects of PFS. We don’t know what causes it and most people who have seen doctors for it have found nothing. Admittedly, being checked would minimize the risk in the case of a serious complication (cancer). I just haven’t done it and, as I don’t have pain any more, I don’t plan on doing it.

Glad to hear you’re not experiencing the pain anymore, @Sibelio.

2 Likes

What country are uk located in mate ?

I am from Bulgaria. Not there now but was there at the time.

1 Like

So how can someone like you or me, take 1-2 pills, and down regulate our receptors so badly? Remeber I felt issues after the first pill, it was never from a “rush of dht” back into my body. Presumably the dht was out of my body for 5 hours before I felt extremely dizzy and had virtigo. Disregulation and subsequent extreme symtoms shouldn’t happen in a matter of hours.

Hey @Wings, I realize you mentioned this a few months ago, but have you been checked out for possible cancer? What you describe is very concerning.

I had an abdominal-pelvis CT scan over a week ago and no tumors were found. the ache I described comes and goes these days, and it’s not as severe, but not entirely gone. I still have urination issues (frequency, urgency, mild incontinence) and sometimes prostate/perineal pain during a bowel movement. But no cancer has been found, so that’s at least good. Thanks for taking interest.

3 Likes

Good to hear that. Always best to rule these types of things out.

2 Likes

can you send me this link please?

Hi Vinny. This is probably the study Axolotl is referring to:

Abstract

Finasteride is an inhibitor of 5-α-reductase used against male androgenetic alopecia (AGA). Reported side effects of finasteride comprise sexual dysfunction including erectile dysfunction, male infertility, and loss of libido. Recently these effects were described as persistent in some subjects. Molecular events inducing persistent adverse sexual symptoms are unexplored. This study was designed as a retrospective case-control study to assess if androgen receptor (AR) and nerve density in foreskin prepuce specimens were associated with persistent sexual side effects including loss of sensitivity in the genital area due to former finasteride use against AGA. Cases were 8 males (aged 29–43 years) reporting sexual side effects including loss of penis sensitivity over 6 months after discontinuation of finasteride who were interviewed and clinically visited. After informed consent they were invited to undergo a small excision of skin from prepuce. Controls were 11 otherwise healthy matched men (aged 23–49 years) who undergone circumcision for phimosis, and who never took finasteride or analogues. Differences in AR expression and nerve density in different portions of dermal prepuce were evaluated in the 2 groups. Density of nuclear AR in stromal and epithelial cells was higher in cases (mean 40.0%, and 80.6% of positive cells, respectively) than controls (mean 23.4%, and 65.0% of positive cells, respectively), P = 0.023 and P = 0.043, respectively. Conversely, percentage of vessel smooth muscle cells positive for AR and density of nerves were similar in the 2 groups. The ratio of AR positive stromal cells % to serum testosterone concentrations was 2-fold higher in cases than in controls (P = 0.001). Our findings revealed that modulation of local AR levels might be implicated in long-term side effects of finasteride use. This provides the first evidence of a molecular objective difference between patients with long-term adverse sexual effects after finasteride use versus drug untreated healthy controls in certain tissues.

3 Likes

I wonder did we ever make progress on this?

I have an abnormal immune response to stimuli and wonder is our only option to use immunosuppressants?

1 Like