Exercise and Epigenetic Regulation

Just speaking from experience, I had experience sexual improvements when I’ve had the flu but not colds. Over the past decade, there have been two times where I basically panicked and had a revival in sexual functioning for a couple days. One of the times I thought I was going to be fired and had to wait for about an hour before speaking to somebody about it, but it was completely an overreaction and it was a non-issue. Definitely not worth it, but it did bring this back partially. For whatever that is worth.

1 Like

DNA methylation is a reversible biological signal

Abstract

The pattern of DNA methylation plays an important role in regulating different genome functions. To test the hypothesis that DNA methylation is a reversible biochemical process, we purified a DNA demethylase from human cells that catalyzes the cleavage of a methyl residue from 5-methyl cytosine and its release as methanol. We show that similar to DNA methyltransferase, DNA demethylase shows CpG dinucleotide specificity, can demethylate mdCpdG sites in different sequence contexts, and demethylates both fully methylated and hemimethylated DNA. Thus, contrary to the commonly accepted model, DNA methylation is a reversible signal, similar to other physiological biochemical modifications.

Full text
https://www.pnas.org/content/96/11/6107

3 Likes

This paper was already posted elsewhere but I think it is nice to have it in this thread as well.

Dihydrotestosterone is elevated following sprint exercise in healthy young men

Abstract

Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) exerts both functional and signaling effects extending beyond the effects of testosterone in rodent skeletal muscle. As a primer for investigating the role of DHT in human skeletal muscle function, this study aimed to determine whether circulating DHT is acutely elevated in men following a bout of repeat sprint exercise and to establish the importance of training status and sprint performance to this response. Fourteen healthy active young men (V̇o2max 61.0 ± 8.1 ml·kg body mass−1·min−1) performed a bout of repeat sprint cycle exercise at a target workload based on an incremental work-rate maximum (10 × 30 s at 150% Wmax with 90-s recovery). Venous blood samples were collected preexercise and 5 and 60 min after exercise. Five minutes after exercise, there were significant elevations in total testosterone (TT; P < 0.001), free testosterone (FT; P < 0.001), and DHT ( P = 0.004), which returned to baseline after 1 h. Changes in DHT with exercise (5 min postexercise − preexercise) correlated significantly with changes in TT ( r = 0.870; P < 0.001) and FT ( r = 0.914; P < 0.001). Sprinting cadence correlated with changes in FT ( r = 0.697; P = 0.006), DHT ( r = 0.625; P = 0.017), and TT ( r = 0.603; P = 0.022), and habitual training volume correlated with the change in TT ( r = 0.569, P = 0.034). In conclusion, our data demonstrate that DHT is acutely elevated following sprint cycle exercise and that this response is influenced by cycling cadence. The importance of DHT in the context of exercise training and sports performance remains to be determined.

Full Text:

Effect of exercise on serum sex hormones in men: a 12-month randomized clinical trial.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

The effect of exercise on androgens in middle-aged to older men is poorly understood, and it could have implications for several aspects of health. This analysis was conducted to examine the effects of long-term aerobic exercise on serum sex hormones in middle-aged to older men.

METHODS:

One hundred two sedentary men, ages 40-75 yr, were randomly assigned to a 12-month exercise intervention or a control group (no change in activity). The combined facility- and home-based exercise program consisted of moderate/vigorous-intensity aerobic activity for 60 min.d(-1), 6 d.wk(-1). Serum concentrations of testosterone, free testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), 3alpha-androstanediol glucuronide (3alpha-Diol-G), estradiol, free estradiol, and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) were measured at baseline, 3, and 12 months.

RESULTS:

Exercisers trained a mean of 370 min.wk(-1) (102% of goal), with only two dropouts. Cardiopulmonary fitness (.VO(2max)) increased 10.8% in exercisers and decreased by 1.8% in controls (P < 0.001). DHT increased 14.5% in exercisers versus 1.7% in controls at 3 months (P = 0.04); at 12 months, it remained 8.6% above baseline in exercisers versus a 3.1% decrease in controls (P = 0.03). SHBG increased 14.3% in exercisers versus 5.7% in controls at 3 months (P = 0.04); at 12 months, it remained 8.9% above baseline in exercisers versus 4.0% in controls (P = 0.13). There were significant trends toward increasing DHT and SHBG, with greater increases in .VO(2max) at 3 and 12 months in exercisers. No statistically significant differences were observed for testosterone, free testosterone, 3alpha-Diol-G, estradiol, or free estradiol in exercisers versus controls.

CONCLUSIONS:

A year-long, moderate-intensity aerobic exercise program increased DHT and SHBG, but it had no effect on other androgens in middle-aged to older men.

Full text:

1 Like

Increased Muscular 5α-Dihydrotestosterone in Response to Resistance Training Relates to Skeletal Muscle Mass and Glucose Metabolism in Type 2 Diabetic Rats

Abstract

Regular resistance exercise induces skeletal muscle hypertrophy and improvement of glycemic control in type 2 diabetes patients. Administration of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), a sex steroid hormone precursor, increases 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) synthesis and is associated with improvements in fasting blood glucose level and skeletal muscle hypertrophy. Therefore, the aim of this study was to investigate whether increase in muscle DHT levels, induced by chronic resistance exercise, can contribute to skeletal muscle hypertrophy and concomitant improvement of muscular glucose metabolism in type 2 diabetic rats. Male 20-week-old type 2 diabetic rats (OLETF) were randomly divided into 3 groups: sedentary control, resistance training (3 times a week on alternate days for 8 weeks), or resistance training with continuous infusion of a 5α-reductase inhibitor (n = 8 each group). Age-matched, healthy nondiabetic Long-Evans Tokushima Otsuka (LETO) rats (n = 8) were used as controls. The results indicated that OLETF rats showed significant decrease in muscular DHEA, free testosterone, DHT levels, and protein expression of steroidogenic enzymes, with loss of skeletal muscle mass and hyperglycemia, compared to that of LETO rats. However, 8-week resistance training in OLETF rats significantly increased the levels of muscle sex steroid hormones and protein expression of steroidogenic enzymes with a concomitant increase in skeletal muscle mass, improved fasting glucose level, and insulin sensitivity index. Moreover, resistance training accelerated glucose transporter-4 (GLUT-4) translocation and protein kinase B and C-ζ/λ phosphorylation. Administering the 5α-reductase inhibitor in resistance-trained OLETF rats resulted in suppression of the exercise-induced effects on skeletal muscle mass, fasting glucose level, insulin sensitivity index, and GLUT-4 signaling, with a decline in muscular DHT levels. These findings suggest that resistance training-induced elevation of muscular DHT levels may contribute to improvement of hyperglycemia and skeletal muscle hypertrophy in type 2 diabetic rats.

Full Text:

1 Like

Since being without my gym due to COVID-19, my libido is down and penis does not want to get hard so easily.

Weight training is good stuff, and I can’t wait till I can resume. This situation sucks. I underestimated the benefits of heavy lifts.

2 Likes

What about people that can’t exercize because muscolar, tendons, joints and ligments deteroration?

I am in that camp myself. I have extreme joint pain. Luckily the pain goes away when I take DHT which allows me to train. I have noticed that training especially resistance training reduces my joint pain and also my requirement for DHT. I am still at the beginning if this process. Will report when I have more data.

I haven’t liquid in my joints, all my joints are clicky.
I lost tissues of my muscles. If i use my muscles i don’t feel the pump and even lift a bottle of water made me injury. Tribulus terrestris gave me this symptoms. I was able to work before tribulus.

Maybe you have excess of fluid in your joints, this is my case, it is shown on the MRI I done 6 months ago, for some reason there is a lot of fluid in my joints, probably because the synovial fluid composition has lost its quality and cannot lubricate the joints the way it used to, so that’s why the body reacts on that by casting extra synovial fluid into my joints trying to balance the damage that has been done. My joints are dry and clicking too btw.

β-Hydroxybutyrate

A Signaling Metabolite

Abstract

Various mechanisms in the mammalian body provide resilience against food deprivation and dietary stress. The ketone body β-hydroxybutyrate (BHB) is synthesized in the liver from fatty acids and represents an essential carrier of energy from the liver to peripheral tissues when the supply of glucose is too low for the body’s energetic needs, such as during periods of prolonged exercise, starvation, or absence of dietary carbohydrates. In addition to its activity as an energetic metabolite, BHB is increasingly understood to have cellular signaling functions. These signaling functions of BHB broadly link the outside environment to epigenetic gene regulation and cellular function, and their actions may be relevant to a variety of human diseases as well as human aging.

Full Text

2 Likes

Time to dust off this thread because I think we should not underestimate the power of exercise. There is significant scientific evidence of how exercise influences the epigenome and androgenic system, both peripherally and centrally in the brain. Of the people posting strategies for symptom relieve or (partial) recovery, heavy weight lifting or resistance training is a part of their routine in an above average amount of accounts; many of them have weight lifting or resistance training experience before PFS so they know how to train. We might have to work harder and longer than many of us have tried.

Additionally I believe exercise/resistance training is, for the ones who are able to in the struggle life has become with PFS, still a great way of spending time and setting goals.

Here’s a publication I recently came across to support exercise once more.

Testosterone and Dihydrotestosterone Changes in Male and Female Athletes Relative to Training Status

Abstract

Purpose: To establish if training volume was associated with androgen baselines and androgen responsiveness to acute exercise.

Methods: During a “high-volume” training phase, 28 cyclists (14 men and 14 women) undertook oxygen-uptake and maximal-work-capacity testing. Two days later, they completed a repeat-sprint protocol, which was repeated 3 weeks later during a “low-volume” phase. Blood and saliva samples were collected before and after (+5 and +60 min) the repeat-sprint protocol. Blood was assayed for total testosterone (TT), free testosterone (FT), and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and saliva, for testosterone and DHT.

Results: Pretrial TT, FT, and DHT concentration was greater for males (P < .001, large effect size differences), and in both genders TT, DHT, and saliva for DHT was higher during high-volume loading (moderate to large effect size). Area-under-the-curve analysis revealed larger TT, FT, and DHT responses to the repeat-sprint protocol among females, and high-volume training was linked to larger TT, DHT, and saliva for DHT responses (moderate to large effect size). Baseline TT and FT correlated with oxygen uptake and work capacity in both genders (P < .05).

Conclusion: DHT showed no acute performance correlation but was responsive to volume of training, particularly in females. This work informs on timelines and relationships of androgenic biomarkers in males and females across different training loads, adding to the complexity that should be considered in interpretation thereof. The authors speculate that testosterone may impact acute performance via behavioral mechanisms of motivation and attention; DHT, via training volume-induced androgenic promotion, may facilitate long-term adaptive changes, especially for females."

PS I distance myself from how the OP was suspended from the forum, I simply do not know, but we cannot deny the valuable work that’s been put into this topic already.

3 Likes