Dietary zinc deficiency alters 5 alpha-reduction

The only purpose zinc serves in our situation is past tense, while were on the drug. Some of the more sussed posters on hairloss forums supplement with 50mg zinc or even more and it alleviates sides, as it is a useful anti-estrogen and blocks all that feminising crap which occurs when you block a vast amount of the most potent androgen, DHT. Maybe most of us wouldn’t be here had we done that.

But after the crash or withdrawl it only helps partially boost erectile function and/or ejaculate amount/consistency. It is miles away from any kind of cure.

I think you need to do more research instead of going by “sussed posters on hair loss forums”.

[Size=4]Cations inhibit specifically type I 5 alpha-reductase found in human skin.[/size]Sugimoto Y, López-Solache I, Labrie F, Luu-The V.

Medical Research Council Group in Molecular Endocrinology, CHUL Research Center, Quebec, Canada.

Abstract
Steroid 5 alpha-reductase catalyzes the reduction of testosterone into the very potent androgen dihydrotestosterone. Previously, we showed that human type I 5 alpha-reductase is expressed mainly in the skin, whereas a type II 5 alpha-reductase is more specifically expressed in the prostate. To assess the possible differential effects of various cations on the two types of 5 alpha-reductase, we constructed expression vectors and transfected them into SW-13 cells, a human adrenal carcinoma cell line containing negligible endogenous 5 alpha-reductase activity. [Size=4]The expressed 5 alpha-reductases were analyzed for their sensitivity to Li, Ca, Cd, Cu, Mg, Mn, Ni, Zn, and Fe. The results showed that type I 5 alpha-reductase was strongly inhibited by Cd, Cu, and Zn and moderately inhibited by Ni and Fe, with 50% inhibitory concentration values of 0.9, 1.9, 2.0, 169.2, and 174.3 microM, respectively. In contrast, type II 5 alpha-reductase activity was inhibited only by Cu, with a 50% inhibitory concentration value of 19.2 microM.[/size] The data showed that cations could specifically control 5 alpha-reductase activity expression, which is more strongly inhibited in a target tissue, especially the skin.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7738354

This one belongs here. Delete the other thread of this if you want mew. Cheers

[Size=4]Interconversion of Androgen Receptor Forms by Divalent Cations and
8 S Androgen Receptor-promoting Factor[/size]
EFFECTS OF Zn2+, Cd2+, Ca2+, AND M$+*

All of the experiments in this study were carried out in the
presence of mercaptoethanol, since zinc in the absence of
mercaptoethanol causes the receptor to aggregate and sediment
to the bottom of the gradient tube (21). It is therefore
not clear at present whether zinc in its free form or as a zinc mercaptoethanol
complex reacts with the receptor. Zinc or its
complex probably binds directly to th4e. 5 S androgen receptor
in an ionic or easily dissociable form rather than via 8 S-PF.
Support for this hypothesis is that 1) the 4.5 S receptor but
not 8 S-PF is retained by a Znz±specific chelating agarose
column,2 2) Zn2+ potentiates binding of the 4.5 S receptor to
nuclear matrix (21, 22), and 3) Zn2+ inhibits binding of [3H]
dihydrotestosterone to the 4.5 S receptor when added before
the androgen (21, 34). The inhibition is reversed by the
addition of EDTA? Zn2+m ight act as bar idging atom between
the 4.5 S receptor and 8 S-PF in a manner similar to the
general mechanism linking enzymes and substrates (35). Zn2+
might also bridge the 4.5 S receptor to a component of the
nuclear matrix (22).
Znz+ is present at relatively high levels in the male reproductive
tract (36), has been closely correlated with androgen
action (37)) and is thought to be required for normal growth
and development of the male sex organs (38, 39). Together
with previous studies on Zn2+ potentiation of receptor binding
to nuclear matrix (21, 22), it is tempting to speculate that a
crucial role of Zn2+ in the male reproductive tract is at the
level of the androgen receptor. Cadmium was the only divalent
cation as potent azsi nc in promoting 8-9 S androgen receptor
formation. This is curious since cadmium has been closely
linked with alterations in zinc uptake (39) and has been
implicated in prostate carcinoma. Industrial workers exposed
to cadmium are reported to suffer from a high incidence of
prostate cancer (40). The testis is also highly susceptible to
damage by cadmium (41). An interesting hypothesis might be
that the unusual stabilizing influence of Cd” on the 8-9 S
androgen receptor (at least 20 times more effective than Zn2+)
is related to its toxic effects in the prostate and testis.

jbc.org/content/260/15/8683.full.pdf

Hi Tim,

I just read your thread for the first time, i was away from the forum for a good time. Just to add that i have become celiac after propecia. I started a gluten free diet in January 2009. I got rid of the headaches and feeling of having a fever (which i believe was caused by inflammation). My joint pains also decreased by 80%. The alteration on my feces was not evident of celiac disease. I was pretty much symptom free, so it was hard for me to admit i have this. But the improvement with the gluten free diet is beyond question in my case. About a month ago, i started questioning this, and had bread and cookies. Bingo, got all the same symptoms again. So i prefer the way i was doing. As finasteride affects the adrenal glands in some people, it is not hard to understand the possibility of becoming celiac for some people (i am not saying everyone who has PFS is celiac). The adrenals have an important role in allergies and immune system and celiac disease is an auto immune problem.

That is great news, i recently tested really high for bowel inflammation so perhaps i am in a simlar boat. How long after starting the gluten free diet did your symptoms improve?
It seems alot of men on this forum have gut problems, i know i didnt before the little magic pill.

The headaches vanished the very next day, the inflammation feeling in two or three days. The joint pains took much longer, but now i recall something else that helped for the joints. I did a Gout diet, as my uric acid came up very high in last blood tests. I avoid some foods rich in Purines, like sardines and pork.
You might want to test if you should avoid caffeine as well. Caffeine is not good for my metabolism anymore. And since we are talking about balancing the adrenals, why disturb them with it.
Good luck buddy

Just to update that it s been confirmed i have celiac disease. So, there is no doubt now.

Guys…I am the newest member of this group. I know all these posts are a few years old. I have been suffering from PFS ( ED, Urinary and stuff). I went to many supplements and nothing worked like Zinc. The very next morning I took Zinc, I had morning wood after like many months. I bought Radiance Zinc 50 mg and started taking it. I just wanted to test myself ifZinc was the reason I was getting normal. Seems like it , as I was not normal on the the days I didnt take. I have been out of Finasteride 5 mg for 3 months and I feel more and more better each day. I stopped all the other supplements.

1 Like

Mate, I guess you will be fine in a few months…just by taking zink. Great to hear! :sunglasses:

I just have to add that I discovered that I was j tolerant to fin, glutenfree diet adjust the aynptoms of i glammation in the brain and joint pain as one user have commented. I just started with zinc piccolinate supplementation to see if it works. This thread is so much interesting. Thank you Tim!