Daily Mail July 22 2019: The drug that banishes baldness can ruin a man's love life: Hair loss drug finasteride is used by millions, but men say it has devastating side-effects such as impotence

I saw something on TV that said there wasn’t much investigative journalism in the main major US media networks. Also they were pro corporation and didn’t normally go out of their way to expose corporate wrong doings. Perhaps exposure would be easier in countries that had investigative journalism. Start small and build momentum. Maybe also look at the major countries outside the US who are big consumers of Fin. Theres a global patient map somewhere. I bet the UK is in the top 5.

Europe seems to be more vocal about SSRIs and Fin, the UK not so much. Off topic but UK NHS has power over doctors and what they can speak out on. It might help to get current stories translated into other languages like Italian or French. I came across an Italian guy with PFS, he had no idea. Perhaps there’s many guys who don’t speak English well in these two countries and can’t understand the forum.

Hairloss feels like a first world problem. We have so many positives in our lives that we take for granted. Then we find a small negative like hairloss and allow it to grow and become a mental concern. Then we get PFS and suddenly realise whats a real problem and going bald isn’t one of them.

If I’d have gone bald it wouldn’t have affected the important things in my life like career or sexual partner. So there’s also a point of getting through to men that hairloss is not a problem worth risking everything to treat. Some will still take the drug despite the warnings because the fear of hairloss overwhelms them or they simply can’t relate to the symptoms of PFS.

If we had the number of men who’ve reported symptoms of PFS that might make some realise it’s more than a handful of men and therefore they could be at risk.

If you read a number in the thousands you’d think this condition is more common than you thought and there’s a real risk of getting it. You then ask why haven’t I heard of something that affects thousands of men. Then you see someone thinking about this and not just heading to the next story.

3 Likes

There’s an investigative TV show here in the UK called Dispatches, pretty credible and well-regarded, which is currently putting together an exposé on Accutane, I believe.

3 Likes

Do you feel we need to do more to promote our translate function? (this forum can be read in just about any language that exists, even though it does require a mouse click per post)

I’m not sure we’re the translate function is on my phone. If non English speakers found the propeciahelp would they be able to understand what the forum is about? Maybe if they could translate the first page that appears in their search that might help.
Or what about a web page in Italian for example that promotes PH and the conditions it covers so folk understand etc. Maybe the participants from the French FB page could explain if they had any difficulties in finding PH.

1 Like

It only appears when the forum detects posts in a language different to your own. Take a look in the foreign language folders and it will reveal itself.

1 Like

It has been included in some articles in French. Of course, I found out after the disaster.
There was also a tv report earlier this year and the PFS founder was interviewed. Again, language barrier WILL be a problem I guess.