Crashed yesterday

I was always very curious about vitamin d,…and why it helps us soo much.
and here´s what I found

Hypovitaminosis D[edit]

Hypovitaminosis D is described as any deficiency of vitamin D. A vitamin D blood concentration standard for diagnosing hypovitaminosis D does not exist. In the past, hypovitaminosis D has been defined by blood concentrations lower than 20 ng/ mL.[5] However, in more recent literature many researchers have considered 30 ng/ mL to be an insufficient concentration of vitamin D.[5] Subnormal levels of vitamin D are usually caused by poor nutrition or a lack of sun exposure.[4] Risk factors for hypovitaminosis D include premature birth, darker skin pigmentation, living at higher altitudes, obesity, malabsoprtion and older age.
Vitamin D and the central nervous system[edit]

Location in the central nervous system[edit]
The brain requires the use of many neurosteroids to develop and function properly. These molecules are often identified as one of many common substances including thyroid hormones, glucocorticoids, and androgens. However in recent studies, throughout the brain and spinal fluid, vitamin D has begun to surface as one of these neurosteroids.
Metabolites: Several vitamin D metabolites are found in cerebral spinal fluid and have the ability to cross the blood brain barrier. This is similar to many of the previously known neurosteroids. These vitamin D metabolites include 25-hydroxyvitamin D3, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3, and 24,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3.[1] Derivatives of these metabolites are highly expressed in the substantia nigra and the hypothalamus. These two brain structures are responsible for motor functions and linking the nervous system to the endocrine system, respectively. The expression of these metabolite derivatives in these areas suggests that these structures have the ability to synthesize these products from vitamin D.[1]

Location of brain regions related to vitamin D.
Receptors: In addition to vitamin D metabolites, vitamin D receptor (VDR) proteins are also found in the brain; more specifically, they are found in the cerebellum, thalamus, hypothalamus, basal ganglia, and hippocampus.[1] The highest density of VDR is in substantia nigra, one of the primary areas of dopamine production. Another significant portion of the receptors is located in the hypothalamus (supra optic and paraventricular nuclei) and external granule cell layer of the prefrontal cortex.[6] VDR are also found in the hippocampus (CA1 and CA2) areas, in slightly lower densities.
Function in the central nervous system[edit]
The presence of vitamin D, it’s activating enzyme, and VDR in the brain leads researchers to question what role vitamin D plays in the brain. Research suggests that vitamin D may functions as a modulator in brain development and as a neuroprotectant.[1] In recent studies, vitamin D has exhibited an association with the regulation of nerve growth factor (NGF) synthesis. NGF is responsible for the growth and survival of neurons.[7] This relationship has also been studied in embryonic and neonatal rats. Developmental vitamin D deficient (DVD) rats have decreased levels of neurotrophic factors, increased mitosis, and decreased apoptosis. These findings suggest that vitamin D potentially affects the development of neurons as well as their maintenance and survival. Current research is underway investigating whether vitamin D is a factor contributing to normal brain functioning.
Vitamin D and neurological disorders[edit]

Hypovitaminosis D is associated with several neuropsychiatric disorders including dementia, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, and schizophrenia. There are several proposed mechanisms by which hypovitaminosis D may impact these disorders. One of these mechanisms is through neuronal apoptosis. Neuronal apoptosis is the programmed death of the neurons. Hypovitaminosis D causes this specific apoptosis by decreasing the expression of cytochrome C and decreasing the cell cycle of neurons. Cytochrome C is a protein that promotes the activation of pro-apoptotic factors.[8] A second mechanism is through the association of neurotrophic factors like nerve growth factor (NGF), brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF). These neurotrophic factors are proteins that are involved in the growth and survival of developing neurons and they are involved in the maintenance of mature neurons.[9]
Dementia: Alzheimer’s disease[edit]
Notice the shrunken and enlarged portions of the brain

The image compares the brain of a normal adult to that of a patient with Alzheimer’s disease
“Dementia” is a term referring to neurodegenerative disorders characterized by a loss of memory and such brain functions executive functioning. Included under this umbrella term is Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s disease is characterized by the loss of cortical functions like language and motor skills.[6] Patients with Alzheimer’s disease exhibit an extreme shrinkage of the cerebral cortex and hippocampus with an enlargement of the ventricles. In several recent studies, higher vitamin D levels have been associated with lower risks of developing Alzheimer’s disease.[10] Alzheimer’s disease is associated with a decrease in vitamin D receptors in the Cornu Ammonius areas (CA 1& 2) of the hippocampus.[6] The hippocampus is a portion of the limbic system responsible for memory and spatial navigation. Additionally, VDR haplotypes were associated detected with increased frequency in patient with Alzheimer’s disease while other VDR haplotypes were detected with increased frequency, suggesting that specific haplotypes may increase or decrease risk of developing Alzheimer’s.[11][12] It is hypothesized that this lack of VDRs in the hippocampus prevents the proper functioning (ie. memory) of this structure.
Parkinson’s disease[edit]

This image depicts the circuits of the basal ganglia in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Pay close attention to the role of the substantia nigra and the dopaminergic neurons
Parkinson’s disease is characterized by progressive deterioration of movement and coordination. Patients with Parkinson’s disease lose dopaminergic (DA) neurons in the substantia nigra.,[13] a part of the brain that plays a central role in such brain functions as reward, addiction, and coordination of movement. Studies suggest that low vitamin D levels could play a role in PD, and in one case report, vitamin D supplements lessened parkinsonian symptoms. In a study of vitamin D receptor knockout mice, mice without VDR exhibited motor impairments similar to impairments seen in patients with Parkinson’s disease.[6] One proposed mechanism linking vitamin D to Parkinson’s disease involves the Nurr 1 gene. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with decreased expression of the Nurr1 gene, a gene responsible for development of DA neurons. It is therefore plausible that a lack of Nurr1 expression leads to impaired DA neuronal development. Failure to form DA neurons would lead to lower dopamine concentrations in the basal ganglia. Additionally, rats lacking Nurr1 exhibited hypoactivity followed by death shortly after birth.[13]
Multiple sclerosis[edit]
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an autoimmune disease causing demyelination within the central nervous system.[14] In the central nervous system, there are many cells encased in a fatty coating called the myelin sheath. This sheath allows for informational signals to be transmitted at greater speeds down through the cell. In multiple sclerosis, this sheath deterioration causes a slower transmission of nerve signals. This ultimately results in severe motor deficits.

The prevalence of MS is associated with latitude. In this image, red indicates a high prevalence of MS while yellow indicates a lower prevalence
There is a well-established global correlation between multiple sclerosis and latitude; there is a higher multiple sclerosis prevalence in northeastern regions than in the south and western regions. At the same time, on average higher vitamin D levels are found in the south and western regions than in the northeast.[14] Based on this correlation and other studies, the higher intake of vitamin D is associated with a lower risk for MS.[14] The mechanism for this association is not fully established, however, a proposed mechanism involves inflammatory cytokines. Hypovitaminosis D is associated with an increase in pro-inflammatory cytokines and decrease in anti-inflammatory cytokines. The increase in these specific cytokines is associated with the degradation of the myelin sheath.[15]

FOCUS on this
Metabolites: Several vitamin D metabolites are found in cerebral spinal fluid and have the ability to cross the blood brain barrier. This is similar to many of the previously known neurosteroids.

I couldnt help but to link this with cerebrolysin, seriously guys you need to look into this, Its like re wiring everything back in place!!

Thanks for posting.

Since I am not hungry (although its been 24 hours since my last meal) I think I’ll try fasting for a while. Forum member “cdnuts” seems to have benefited from fasting. I slept quite well, and had a few erections during the night. Currently have a pretty good feeling.

I’ve soon fasted 2 days, started yesterday morning. Today I’ve been hungry and tired, but have not noticed any hormonal imbalances I used to have. No tingling or coldness in my hands or feet, no anxiety or mood changes either. Seems that fasting somehow helps to control hormones, I currently only drink water.

I quit my fast due to mild headache. Ate some tuna, chicken and beef with salad an hour ago. Currently have a little anxious and hot feeling, it might be because I have got a lot of sun today. Headache has not gone away yet.

I am feeling quite good again. Slept 1,5+4+2 hours and felt rested, headache is gone. I also had an erection at wake up (2nd night in a row). Have not felt hormonal or mood changes today (tingling / hot or cold). My only problems currently are a strong (my stomach visibly bounces to my pulse when I lay down) and slightly elevated heartbeat, and I have trouble keeping a perfect balance when I stand (my body tends to sway a little). Cannot say anything about my sexual sides though, since I am avoiding all sexual stimulation at the moment.

I am feeling quite good still. Heart palpitations seemed less strong yesterday. I slept well (6 + 3 hours). Libido has come back and I have started having sex, but no crash symptoms yet. I have got longer hairs in my chest and stomach, also my beard seems thickened.

Yesterday and today I have felt some tingling in my hands again as well as slight anxiety / hotness. My testicles contracted today briefly, but not very up. They have usually been hanging lower than before I quit finasteride. I think the tingling might have to do something with me drinking some sugared blueberry juice yesterday. I felt I needed blueberries, and since I am in Spain, the juice was only thing with blueberries I could find. After drinking the juice yesterday evening, I did not feel tired for 4 hours, and went to sleep after 3 am. Normally I fall asleep at midnight. Must avoid sugar more carefully in the future. I noticed that after/during the anxiety/crash, my feces have been watery and smelled different. This could be because excess cortisol prevents digestion: “In addition, release of digestive enzymes does not occur during a sense of flight or fight. Food will sit in the stomach and decay rather than digest when one eats while feeling stressed.” ( paulinehardingmd.com/page5.html ) I also have not had any libido for 1,5 days.

I am feeling pretty ok now. Have not noticed much tingling or heart palpitations for the past 2 days. I just woke up after 4 hours of sleep and still have dark eyebags, but no symptoms otherwise. I slept on the plane from Spain, so that might be the reason for insomnia. If I do not get worse than this, I consider myself very lucky. I already feel much better than on the drug. Loose skin under the testicles has disappeared and I also have some libido. Going to measure my free testosterone next week.

I am having a difficult night again. Just woke up after 3 hours of sleep because I had to pee, and while it was positive I had a nocturnal erection, I noticed my penis has really lost some width (maybe also length) since I had the first crash. Yesterday I had some coldness in the penis (probably due to that I stupidly had sex the night before), and the coldness had me worried throughout yesterday evening. Currently I feel anxious and not tired at all. When flaccid, my penis also seems different than before the first crash (maybe a bit longer, but narrower and rubbery). I just wish this was just a bad dream, seems so weird something like this can happen in real life.

I went running sprints for 1 hour at 3 am last night, and it maybe helped to relieve anxiety a bit. Managed to sleep a total of 7 hours in 3 phases. Today I have been feeling some discomfort in testicles and tingling in penis, but these symptoms are hopefully passing. Currently I feel tired although its afternoon, but otherwise relatively ok.

I just woke up after 4 + 3 + 1 hours of sleep (woke up twice to pee) and feel refereshed. I also had an erection every time I woke up, and one sexual dream. My penis seems a little fuller than yesterday, I think erections somehow improve the penis. I ate a lot of beef and fatty yoghurt with blueberries yesterday (no added sugar), and I think they might have helped my testosterone production. I have not experienced muscle twitches in weeks or tingling in my hands for a few days. It seems that erections during the night do not cause a similar increase in cortisol, as sexual stimulation during the daytime.

I am having a difficult night. I just woke up after 2 hours of sleep and do not feel tired. I also feel some tingling in my hands and burning in my penis. I think this is because I ate mango with fatty yoghurt before going to sleep, and mango has fast carbohydrates. I have not had any sexual stimulation for 3 days, but it seems that even fast carbohydrates without sex can launch the hormonal inbalance. I managed to sleep over 9 hours yesterday, including a 1,5 nap during daytime. Although I felt really refreshed, it seems that I should have kept a strict paleo diet meaning no carbohydrates.

I have also noticed that there is a deepening hole around the penis in the pelvic area. This is probably because the penis has narrowed and left a hole to the area where it previously was wider. I am really worried that the narrowing and wrinkly penis will not recover, but instead it will worsen over time. I took a natural product today contaning L-arginine, maca and tribulus terresteris, and hope that it will help my penis to improve.

I eventually managed to sleep total of 8 hours yesterday night, although I went running for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. In the morning had an erection and high libido. Currently I feel quite good, except that I still have some burning feeling in my penis. I really have to keep a strict low carbohydrate diet from now on.

I am feeling good again. Low carbohydrate diet seems to work, and I have not felt any symptoms today; no tingling, no palpitations, no anxiety etc. I did wake up during the night for 1,5 hours, but managed to sleep a total of 8 hours anyway. Also my genitals have felt and looked normal and I have a normal libido and sexual ability. I hope I can avoid any future setbacks by correct diet, exercise and limited sexual activity.

I had big problems sleeping last night. Woke up after 2,5 hours of sleep, and stayed up 3 hours. Managed to sleep 3 hours after that in 1 hour phases. I did feel my hands tingling in the night, and it might be because I ate some carbohydrates in form of lentils. I also played badminton yesterday evening (9pm -10pm), and also that might have messed my sleep. Should probably try to do sports after work, not in the evening. Although I slept only 5,5 hours, I do not feel tired yet.

I have a suggestion. Step back from the forum, see how you do in the coming months, and if things get better or worse, update us. Posting small updates every day makes it hard to gauge how things are going in the long run. I’d recommend you take a break and try and focus on other things, give yourself some time to heal, and update us in the future. Cheers.

I would like to keep a journal of my recovery, and if you do not mind, I think this is the best place to do it.

Today was the first day I could take a long nap (2 hours) during daytime. I felt really tired after 4 + 3,5 hours sleep last night, but managed to sleep from 8pm to 10pm today. After my crash I have been feeling tired during the day (headache, yawning) but something (lack of GABA?) has prevented me to taking a nap longer than 1 hour before 10pm. I am otherwise ok, but have a slightly hot head, and loose skin under testicles.

I think you should follow Mew’s advice.

Cheers.

Would like to update, as it is 2 months tomorrow since I took the last pill (I went without finasteride also a few weeks before that).

Persistent symptoms:

• Insomnia, I can usually sleep max 3 hours at a time. I manage to sleep 8 hours per day in phases though.
  • Dark areas under eyes.
  • Testicles vary in hardness and size, however not very much.
  • Penis is cold in the evenings, sometimess light burning feeling. Penis seems to be longer when flaccid than before.
  • Prostate discomfort, also pain if I press stomach.
  • Sometimes elevated and strong heart beat. Holding my breath seems to help.
  • My head is hot sometimes and hands are sometimes cold.
  • Frequent urination.

Signs giving me a hope of recovery:

• I can tolerate carbohydrates better.
  • Nocturnal erections are common.
  • Libido is at a good level
  • My body is getting hairier all the time.
  • Have not felt tingling in hands or crash symptoms for a while.
  • I feel happier and more alive in general than while on finasteride.

Things I have noticed:

• I am starting to lose hair (which just feels natural).
  • I should not do much aerobic exercise. For example playing badminton for an hour will worsen my condition.
  • Red wine seems to help the bloodflow to the penis in the evenings, however I am not sure about this. Also in the morning after drinking 4 glasses, libido was high.

It is now 2,5 months from my last pill and 2 months from the first crash.

Improvements:

• My sleep is getting better. I can sleep longer periods (6-7 hours) and fall asleep again after going to pee.
  • I can tolerate carbohydrates better
  • Music and movies are more enjoyable. I even get goose bumps listening to music, which did not happen during taking the drug. I seem to also laugh more often.
  • Libido varies but is generally at a good level, and I feel like having sex daily. I often have nocturnal erections.
  • My body is getting hairier.

Symptoms / negative things:

• I still have visible blue veins in my penis and occasional testicle pain. Testicles are not as full as they were before.
  • Hands (especially right hand) are still sometimes cold. My head and testicles often feel too hot.
  • I cannot keep a perfect balance when standing, my body sways a little.
  • I get an urge to exercise sometimes (usually evenings), this might be because of excess cortisol.
  • Area around my penis seems to develop a fat layer every now and then. I think I got more fat there again in the past few days.
  • My nipples change in size, exercise usually makes them smaller immediately.
  • I stopped all aerobic exercise, because it usually lead to worse situation.

I feel I am still on a rollercoaster where I need to limit my sexuality, diet, exercise and rest to prevent from crashing or other milder negative symptoms. I do have some trust that I can prevent future crashes by living correctly.