Could we fundraise money to get airtime on a podcast?

The podcast wouldn’t be made by us, we would simply be featured on somebody else’s podcast for an episode, or even a portion of an episode to warn young men about the dangers of 5AR inhibitors and get our stories out there. Other podcasts, like ThisAmericanLife often feature essays written by normal people about heartbreak, death, success, illness, etc.

Are you talking about making our own podcast or being featured on one? I would appreciate if you wrote the quotes down! It never hurts to inform the crowd how much such an idea would cost, in my opinion.

The pfs foundation did use to run podcasts but due to funds it stopped.
I was talking about getting these podcasts back up and running and this is what i have the quotes for.
I will dig up the email and post it here later on today time permitting.

2 Likes

I will try my best this afternoon to find the email with this information

1 Like

Ok, earlier you were talking about paying $50/1000 listeners which is why I said that I didn’t think we could afford sponsorship (paying to feature on a podcast).

All the other stuff is because when podcasts were spoken about recently, the conversation focussed on paying to have them made.

If we could get a producer for This American Life (for example) interested it could work, but they’d be doing it because they want to, not because TAL were being paid.

1 Like

I’m sorry I was very unclear about that. If you want to advertise on a podcast, the industry rate goes for $50/1,000 listeners the podcast has. So if you’re advertising on a small podcast, it won’t cost you much. But to advertise on a huge podcast (Rogan, for example) it’ll cost way more cause he’s so popular.

I’ll do my part since I proposed this idea and try to get in touch with producers of various podcasts to be on it (for free). Free marketing of the Foundation would be incredible, albeit a long shot…

Well, if TAL were planning an episode which this would fit in with, it could be good news.

I would say that you ought to consider what you’re going to say to the producer. Make their job easy, what’s the story? Is it worth telling? Many, many people will be trying to get media coverage for their cause.

1 Like

They’re always hosting heartbreaking tidbits and oddities!

As promised
The email I received regarding costs of podcasts
This email is from Philip Roberts of the PFS foundation
Personally I didn’t think it was at all out of reach so i put the feelers about but due to negativity I pigeon holed the project
This seems like very good timing to pull the idea back out and show costs.
It would be nice to see some positivity regarding this especially as this would have the backing of the pfs foundation.

Good to hear back from you Baz. And thanks for your feedback on PFS Global Support podcast. It was launched back in (I believe) 2014 by a PFS patient named Adam Held, in Chicago. But after about 9 months, he wants to distance himself from the PFS world, so he gave up hosting. Then another PFS patient in San Diego, Amir Karkouti, took over. But he too lost interest over time. Then Marc Seim took over, but he only lasted 1 or 2 shows – and I never heard back from him as to why he quit. Then Nadar Jawad took over. He did some great shows, but he too also quit after less than I year.

I think part of the problem in the case of all those hosts is that doing even a monthly show is a lot of work. There’s a never-ending necessity to find guests. And after a while, that became too hard for them, as none of them are media professionals.

We at the foundation have considered taking over the podcast, but – and you noted – we don’t have the resources to do it the right way.

That said, for about $2,600 a year, we could farm it out to a pro. Here’s the budget estimate for producing the podcast on a monthly basis:

-Annual BlogTalkRadio subscription: $400
-Host fee: $2,000 ($150 a show + $200 start-up fee)
-Voiceover artist fee: $150. This would be for a voiceover artist to cut a new intro and outro.

If we had such a budget, I could oversee the show as executive producer, and make it an official PFS Foundation production.

If you think you can fund that, let me know as I will discuss with our CEO.

Finally, I checked your email address and we don’t have you on our mailing list. I’d like to add you, but please let me know, just for our records, your age and where you live. If in the US, just city and state is fine. If outside the US, just country.

Best,

Philip Roberts
Post-Finasteride Syndrome Foundation
27 World’s Fair Drive
Somerset, NJ 08873
proberts@pfsfoundation.org
(856)425-6046

1 Like

Previously, @Baz44uk, you said that not feeling alone and hearing other people’s experiences were the primary reasons to fund the podcasts.

I think that’s a nice idea, but I don’t know why we need to pay people to present and produce these. You could record your story yourself and share it without any cost to you or the foundation. Any phone and a free SoundCloud account will give you all you need.

Anyone who is looking for information is unlikely to search for a podcast as the first port of call, they’ll end up here and we’ll be able to share links to the podcasts here. We could create a group SoundCloud account where all the stories could be posted so they’re all together.

The foundation is not awash with money by any definition, I think if we want them to spend money on something other than the science to help us get out of this position we need a good reason to recommend it. I personally don’t want my donations to go towards funding the podcasts if we could do it for free because I want a treatment.

If this is part of a wider strategy to raise the profile of the condition and attract other people affected by this, then it’s something I could get behind but we would still need to work out how to get the podcasts listened to by the people we’re trying to reach. Making people aware outside the reach of the forum is the biggest problem in that situation and it’s that which we should focus on, before we consider spending money.

…is my 2c.

1 Like

Personally I think it’s all a matter of opinion mate
I was actually thinking of voluntary donations this way people have a choice if they think it’s worthy they donate if they don’t think it is they don’t pay simple as that really.

Reaching out to others has a multitude of positives i don’t really see any negatives other than the funding which is just part and parcel.

I didn’t want to be a lone soldier in this and I thought that if it was backed by the foundation rather than a single guy it would help towards creating further interest which naturally creates further knowledge.

1 Like

I wouldn’t disagree that it is a matter of opinion, but I still don’t see why you’d want to spend money on the podcasts that could be free when that same money could be donated to a study that will result in a drug that your doctor could prescribe to you and sort this all out.

1 Like

If the podcasts are to start up again I think they should focus on interviewing PFS Doctors.

Most Doctors still don’t believe PFS is even real.

2 Likes

That could be interesting, I wonder if the doctors would be prepared to answer the questions most people want to ask them though.

As in, “how effective are the treatments you’re charging money for?”

1 Like

I suppose in reality it comes down to credibility.
What would be more credible a lone soldier or a foundation.

2 Likes

I don’t understand, you said that you wanted the podcasts to show that you weren’t alone and to hear other people’s stories. If people here record their stories, why wouldn’t you believe them?

I’m not getting into a debate it mate
I said I had wished that I had heard these podcasts when i first realised what had caused my symptoms i.e finasteride as i feel it would of helped me to not feel so isolated and alone.
It’s a shock to the system when things go so wrong people take this drug to reap positive benefits not have their world tipped upside down.
like i stated its all a matter of opinion mate
I cant see how the positives outweigh the negatives of podcasts that’s my opinion.

Ok.

I wasn’t saying that I thought the podcasts were a bad idea, sorry if it seemed that way.

As we can’t afford everything, if we can do something for free we should probably do it that way.

At the moment some of the moderators are begining research for a project to be delivered to a scientist who’ll be writing up a report for us that will make it easier for doctors to understand this condition and mean that we’ll be taken more seriously when we do visit a doctor. Exactly the kind of thing I’d expect you to think is really important.

If we could afford to employ a researcher, that would probably be a better way to do it, but we don’t have the money so we’re doing it in our free time.

The podcast could be done for free, with some enthusiasm and free time. There’s no need to throw money at this. That’s all I’m saying.

2 Likes

Valid points made mate :+1:

Any positive steps foward cannot be argued but i do see your points if money wasn’t an object things would progress so much faster.

2 Likes

Any update on re-establishing the PFS podcast ?