Changes in Body Odor and/or Earwax production

Has anyone told you that your body odor has changed? Please no exaggeration, just honest answers.

My ex told me that my BO is no longer nice. This is before we parted ways. A new girl I am with just told me I have “old people smell”.
I used to receive complements on my BO now I feel like an old fart…

anyone?

3 Likes

Yes, before PFS I smelled healthy. Now I have extremely dry skin, don’t sweat and don’t seem to have much body odor as long as I use deodorant and soap on my armpits everyday. And I’m using the natural deodorant sticks which don’t work as well as the SpeedStick/OldSpice types. But during the first couple years of PFS I got a lot of cold sweats during the night or when I was doing public speaking and got nervous, as soon as my armpits and the palms of my hands would start to sweat, I would release horrible odors just like a skunk. It went away eventually when I started taking supplements to treat the many other side-effects I have, then I had old people smell, which is also awful but much better than repelling scores of people within 50 feet of you by being a walking biohazard. Even though I’m older now I probably smell younger than I did in my early or mid 20s.

Yes, after my crash i stunk of ammonia. This happens often with chronic infections.

cant remember smelling any different when I crashed,but can remember the really strong metallic taste in my mouth for days…

I think I remember that. But the anti-biotics I took also had a metallic taste (and the pharmacist told me this in advance). It’s not necessarily a strange side-effect.

@zadig777 and @Dubya_B do you guys notice that you lack strong body odour now as well?

1 Like

I do. There is only a very slight hint of BO on rare occasions now.

1 Like

Yes. My body stopped producing my scent as soon as PAS hit. The scent used to peak just after ejaculation. Now theres nothing.

2 Likes

My body odor stayed the same, but my ear wax has become dry and flaky.

Mine fluctuates (always weaker than it was) but it’s generally a good indicator of how I’m going to feel for the day. If there’s some scent, I’m gonna have a good day.

1 Like

I have had a strong body odor for the last months. My brother says i have “liver smell”.

The truth is I feel like I smell like an old man I have to constantly put deodorant to be sure that I don’t smell bad.

My body odor has changed significantly, I’ve seen a post on here where a user referred to his as a cross between vinegar and cat-piss. That accurately described mine…

2 Likes

I have noticed this too, my body odor has completely vanished, recently on some days it will return but only for short periods of time. I also seem to have less ear wax, not as sure about this one though.

1 Like

Same here, no ear wax, nasal mucous, sometimes dry and flaky

2 Likes

My body odour is returned earlier this year and I noticed my earwax had come back into production.

Both increase and decrease with my condition. Strangely, I get more body odour on my right side than my left.

1 Like

Here is some interesting information on genes related to odor / earwax production. ABCC11 is one of them and possibly why many of us have odorless underarm sweat and changes to ear wax production.

“Individuals expressing the mutated form of this protein display a non-malodour phenotype
due to malodour precursor compounds failing to reach the axilla. The wild-type ABCC11
allele is prevalent among Europeans and Africans with the mutated G583A allele
widespread mainly in individuals of East Asian descent, particularly Chinese, Korean and
Japanese populations. The phenotypic effect of the G583A SNP was verified by Harker et
al. (2014) who associated a significantly lower axillary odour in individuals homozygous
for the mutated gene, which was biochemically connected to an almost complete absence
of the malodorants”

Study reveals structure of protein that transports body odor precursor. Funny that pharma is actually researching ways to block odor, perhaps another use for finasteride once they discover all of us who are affected…

https://cen.acs.org/analytical-chemistry/structural-biology/Study-reveals-structure-protein-transports/96/i29

Daniel Bawdon PHD seems to be the expert on the matter. He wrote his thesis on it.

Postdoctoral Research Paper on characterisation of the biochemical route to malodour production

3 Likes

Yup, I have this side. :sob: Good description of it too ha

I believe my body odor changed remarkably too, but almost opposite from previous posters. It’s much STRONGER (I first thought my new brand of laundry detergent was crap) and DIFFERENT (or does it just seem that way because it’s stronger?) WITH A MORE MANLY SCENT (if I go by the above quote and interpreted it well). The fact I can’t seem to get it out of my clothes suggests I’m producing more sebum (I’ve always had oily skin, can’t tell the difference).

I first noticed the change around the time I quit finasteride (I don’t know whether that was shortly before or after quitting finasteride, but it was around that time). After would make more sense i.e. a manlier scent but a stronger/different one because the hormones/neuroactive steroids in my body were irreversibly changed versus my pre-finasteride days.

I only realized the possible link with finasteride now, 2 years later, when i stumbled on the above quote myself. Then I googled this forum to see if anyone else had reported this symptom, and that’s how I found this thread.

2 Likes

i noticed the same thing, especially the body odor.
i have less body odor after the use of fin (armpits dont smell that bad when i wake up).

Dont know if this is a good or bad thing.

2 Likes

The symptom of not smelling bad is a good thing, but what it means is probably less good. I believe that it is a sign our androgens aren’t functioning properly.

2 Likes