Can anybody explain what happened to me? (Propecia + Wellbutrin)

Long story, I will try and explain in detail exactly what happened.

Slightly over a year ago I was prescribed Propecia (Finasteride) for hair loss by a doctor with no warning of potential long term side effects. I took it for two months and then started noticing severe side effects so I stopped taking it. These included: Loss of sensation in penis, loss of libido, loss of orgasm, and a few others. A week after I stopped taking it I was completely back to normal. This recovery lasted for two months and then the side effects re-appeared, and I also experienced brain fog and fatigue for a few weeks, and I lost a lot of muscle and put on excess fat around my stomach without changing my diet or exercise patterns. However, over the next 6 months these side effects gradually disappeared again. By October 2009 I could safely say that I was 90% recovered from Propecia side effects. The only problem still lingering was poor quality orgasms.

I did some reading on the internet and found out about a drug called Wellbutrin (Bupropion), which doubles as an anti-depressant and quit smoking aid. I saw lots of studies posted all over the internet that said it improves sexual function, and in particular, orgasm function. I didn’t think I needed to see another doctor because I was almost recovered already, I just had this one problem left to deal with and I thought I could fix it on my own.

So I ordered some generic Bupropion off an online pharmacy and took it without a doctor’s supervision. I took it for two days at 150mg (1 tablet) daily and didn’t notice anything, and then I raised the dose to the maximum dose (300mg, 2 tablets). At this point I started to experience extreme cognitive problems, “brain fog”, loss of concentration, memory lapses, difficulty reading, emotional flatness, killer headaches, and extreme sexual dysfunction. I felt much, much worse on this drug than I ever did with Propecia. I was not taking any other medications at the time. I continued Wellbutrin at this dose for about 6 days and then stopped. After I stopped taking it I began to feel slightly better after a few days, but since then I have continued to suffer from these problems but to a lesser degree. That was at the end of October last year and I have felt terrible 80% of the time since then. The problems I am still suffering from are:

Sexual

• Penile shrinkage
  • Dry penis
  • Thin penis
  • Skin colour/texture changes to foreskin, poor skin elasticity
  • Loss of penile sensation
  • No libido
  • Constantly fluctuating testicle size
  • Testicles enlarge to full size but penis does not
  • Muted/missing orgasm

Mental

• Cognitive problems
  • “Brain fog”
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Memory lapses
  • Difficulty reading
  • Mood swings
  • Regular headaches

Also, I often get fatigued at arbitrary times during the day no matter how much sleep I get.

I have gotten some blood tests done but all they’ve really told me is that the problem isn’t with my sex hormones. I can post the blood tests on here if needed. I’m not taking anything AT ALL anymore and these problems are still persisting, months later. I would really appreciate any input you guys have into this situation.

1 Like

If you recovered after Finasteride, and then noticed issues as a result of Wellbutrin, then your problems are likely related to the SSRI.

There are SSRI forums on the web which may be of more use, such as:

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/SSRIsex/

Hi buddy,

Sorry to hear your story. I believe your symptoms are still related to Finasteride. You probably still had issues from propecia since you describe weak orgasms, and Welbutrin just triggered more symptoms. All the symptoms you describe can be related to cortisol and blood pressure, which points to your adrenals. I believe Welbutrin pushed your adrenal balance even further (most of guys here have or had adrenal problems after Finasteride), to the point they seem to be overactive. I ve been there, i ve had the same symptoms.
I suggest you exercise frequently, cut caffeine and sugar and observe the signals your body sends. Observe when you get worse (after you eat?, what time of the day, etc). Then try to eliminate what may trigger a headache for example. In my case, anything from caffeine to very cold weather (if i stay outside for sometime, below 32 F), can trigger a very strong headache. Try natural calming supplements (kava, valerian, etc.), you may be able to slow your adrenals this way. Stay calm, eventually you will find your balance.
I remember right after i quit Finasteride, no supplements worked to calm me down. I was prescribed then Bromazepan at a low dose (similar to Valium). It was wonderful for sometime, i could finally sleep, my penis returned to normal size when flacid, and my metabolism slowly recovered and i quit the medication after a few months. But it is much better if you can do it naturally and leave the medication as a last resource.

Good luck

Well hold the phone, it’s not an SSRI it’s a DNRI, meaning it deals with stimulants such as dopamine. Dopaminergic stimulants such as these have been known to both reverse and worsen our condition.

Now remember, most of us in the finasteride dilemma never took a psychotropic drug (besides fin if you want to argue), and we have the same symptoms.

I think we’re looking at either another example of neurological roots of the condition, or you exascerbated an adrenal disorder with Wellbutrin.

If it’s a neurological example, there could be a possibility that you overloaded dopamine receptors with dopamine, causing a blunting effect. This is a theory which I have not been able to rule out regarding our own issues. Flat emotions, confusion, and a host of other mental side effects could indicate this, but the fact that administering these kinds of agents changes the whole condition and can improve it really makes me wonder.

Welcome Electric Eye.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, the drug was a Norepinephrine and Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor rather than an SSRI. According to lots of studies they actually improve sexual function rather than inhibit it like SSRI’s do, which is why I tried it for my orgasm difficuties. I know some ex-Fin people have seen improvement from it, but it did the polar opposite for me. I can’t even put into words how bad I felt while I was taking it, and I’m still suffering after almost 4 months off it. Also, it’s probably worth mentioning that I noticed I had developed a mild curve in my penis on the second day of full-dose Wellbutrin. This definitely wasn’t there only 4 days earlier, so I doubt it was a coincidence.

Anyway, here are my latest blood tests, taken 3 weeks ago:

0945 Hrs Cortisol, AM (Basal) 530 nmol/L range 138-690

Testosterone 27.0 nmol/L

SHBG 27 nmol/L range 10-70

Albumin 49 g/L range 35-50

Calculated FTe 684 pmol/L range 260-740

TSH 3.1mU/L range 0.350-4.94

FSH 2 U/L range 1-14

LH 4 U/L range 1-9

Oestradiol 70 pmol/L

Prolactin 274 mU/L range 54-381

Dihydrotestosterone pending

The DHT would be done by now but I haven’t had a chance to go get it yet. Other than that, it’s pretty clear that the problem isn’t with my sex hormones. I’m thinking adrenals, does my Cortisol appear high? As Correiovip said, all my symptoms are typical of an adrenal problem. TSH looks pretty suspect as well, it has almost doubled in less than two years.

I can’t believe I’ve done it AGAIN… I obviously didn’t learn my lesson the first time. I was literally 90%+ recovered from Finasteride, the only side effects I still had were slightly reduced penile sensation and weak orgasms. I could have easily lived with that for a while longer, but I had to go and screw it all up once more and now I’m back to square one again.

Your Estradial looks high…This could be your main problem…Ask your doctor about arimidex and see what he says…