Bone mass density / abnormal blood Calcium-phosphor levels

Hey everyone.

I have been scouring the forum to see any references to this but have not been able to find anything first hand:

I’ve used propecia for the last 5 years. I was fortunate enough not to experience any sexual/mental side effects but with the advice of family decided to lower my dosage to 3 per week, with the ultimate goal of lowering to 1 per week.

My recent tests revealed abnormally low bone mass density (osteopenia), which is unexpected given that i am only 26 years old. Also, my blood calcium levels were seen as quite low and my blood phosphor levels were seen as quite high.

I was wondering if anybody has experienced similar side effects before at all? If so, did the negative effects disappear after lowering the dosage / quitting ?

I have osteoprosis and hormone problems (not finasteride related).

What I can tell you is that you should have various hormone testing on the basis that finasteride is a known antiandrogen and that lowered androgen status is known to cause a reduction in bone remodelling and potential osteopenia and osteoporosis.

You should have the following tested and you should get a coppy of your results and accompanying reference ranges;

LH
FSH
Testosterone
Free Testosterone (if possible)
SHBG (very important)
estradiol
Prolactin
Dihydrotestosterone (the principle hormone lowered by finasteride)

Given the known lowered bone density you should also have the following tested

PTH (parathyroid hormone) major impact on bone remodeling

Growth hormone reserve via an Insulin Tolerance Test (ITT) GH also has a major impact on bone remodeling.

If either Testosterone, PTH or GH is low and you have lowered bone density then they require treatment.

You should get a copy of your bone density results so you know your BD score. Osteopenia is usually defined as anything between minus 1 or minus 1.5 and minus 2/2.5 and osteoporosis is anything lower than that.

You should be prescribed a calcium treatment to take daily unless you have kidney stones and your doctor should consider mild bisphosphontae medication to help prevent bone loss.

My bone density is minus 2.8 and I have been on testosterone therapy for years but my bone density has been getting worse. Recently I had the Insulin Tolerance Test which showed I am also GH deficient which explains the continued lowering of bone density…I am awainting GH treatment.

Shows the importance of getting the right tests.

I too have been using finasteride for about five years. Only last week I was diagnosed with having osteoporosis. The doctor cant explain why I have it as I do not fit the average profile of a person with osteoporosis.

I wonder what happened to this guy? Did he come off and the osteoporosis went away? Stories like this seem to confirm that many men get hypogonadal ON fin, never mind after the crash.