Any Dut users developed PFS?

Hello everyone.

I am just wondering if there is anyone who used Dutasteride here and developed PFS symptoms?

Since many have the idea that PFS is due to androgen receptor silencing due to the surge in DHT after quitting Finasteride.

It got me thinking. Since Dut has a much longer half life it would mean the DHT levels would take a slower, more steady raise to baseline as the Dut slowly leaves your body.

If the surge theory is right, it would mean the Dut users are at a lower risk to develop PFS.

I understand that Dut is not as often prescribed for MPB, so the group is smaller which would mean less cases.

Anyone have data or would like to share their own stories?

There are users in here who developed PFS-like symptoms after Duta. But yes, they are in a small minority.

Of course Duta isn’t as prescribed as Fina.

Yes, this is a potential explanation somebody theorized time ago. Of course it was never proved.

I remember right before taking Fin I considered Dut but thought “hey, that Duta shit blocks both DHT1 and DHT2, it’d be safer to use Fin”.

Jesus Christ.

Imo duta is either as dangerous or more than fina, as fina is either as dangerous or more than SP. It can’t be safer while nuking basically 100% of your dht, and also the theory of the damage receptors due to the spike of dht after quitting is kinda bs to me. I started developing pretty much every side I have while on SP and then I quit by tapering of too. maybe if I had quit cold turkey I would have crash with worst symptoms but I don’t think so

I think that if this was the explanation everyone would develop PFS after coming off the Fin, Dut or Saw P when the DHT rises again . I have read more stories of people starting to develop PFS symptoms while on the 5AR inhibitor . This is what happened to me both times I took Saw P. The sexual sides started while on the Saw P the first time . The second time the digestive issues started on the Saw P. All my symptoms started while on the Saw P both times with the exception of insomnia starting after coming off the second Saw P

1 Like

I don’t believe the 5AR silencing theory either.

But if Dustasteride users are less likely to develop PFS, then it could be plausible. It could also mean that DHT downregulation is not the main cause, but some other, off-target mechanism of Fin.

On the other hand, if Dustasteride users is as likely (or more likely) to develop PFS, then it would be likelier that PFS is actually a direct cause to the downregulation of DHT.

If we had data on this, it would be easier to know where to look.

When reading the CNS steroid research on PFS patients it’s also noteworthy that PFS patients with methylated 5AR genes actually have higher CNS DHT than unmethylated group. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6652249/table/tbl2/?report=objectonly

Hovever, both the PFS groups have a high variety in neurosteroids when compared to controls. But it’s also to few patients to draw any conclusions.

There are plenty of users, and have been plenty over the forum’s history, who only took Dutasteride. You can find them as they’ll have a little “D” next to their user name, the way Finasteride users have a “F”, isotretinoin users have an “I” and anti-depressant users have an “A”. They’re not as many in number, but they’re definitely here.

I won’t comment too much on theories, but if you are interested and have a scientific inclination, I’d recommend reading Axo’s paper. Just to clear up any misconceptions, this paper doesn’t theorise that AR is silenced, rather provides comment around the evidence it is potentially overexpressed.

Regarding the phenomenon of the “crash” or patients becoming worse after quitting the drug, this has been reported by over 75% of survey respondents, which is significant. I can’t remember the exact figure for how many only developed symptoms when they stopped taking the drug, but it’s pretty significant too.

I think that if this was the explanation everyone would develop PFS after coming off the Fin, Dut or Saw P when the DHT rises again

That would mean that every single person who takes a 5ARI is pre-disposed to this condition, which we know isn’t the case.

@Fuckmyhair, when you get a minute, and if you’ve been off the drug for 3 months, could you please complete the patient survey? It will be very helpful in our research efforts as this data could now be used to inform the design of upcoming research.

Best,
Mitch

1 Like

Yep, I’ve done it

1 Like

Amazing! Thank you.

I used to use FINA six times a week and DUT once.But I still got PFS

Here also someone that has crashed on both Finasteride and later Dutasteride.

To stop Dutasteride, with its looong half life and slow decrease in blod did not gave any different results than Finasteride on crashing/PFS.

@Sugarhouse

Thanks for the link. I actually hadn’t read that. Very interesting indeed, although I haven’t been able to read through it all yet.

1 Like